Tracking Calories burned

Options
chsmith79
chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
Do any of ya'll track your calories burnt in your WOD? If so, how? I just use circuit training on MFP. I feel like it's an underestimate, but I really dont know. Do ya'll use a HRM? If you have any suggestions please share. Thanks

Replies

• PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I only guesstimated it to be 200. I think that is not accurate, but I feel like the burn varies a lot between days so I think it balances out.
  • ErinRobin86
    ErinRobin86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use calisthenics on MFP, but I think it gives the same results as circuit training.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I added CrossFit as a workout and I log 60 minutes / 350 cals no matter what the workout is. I know there are times that I burn more but there are also times that I burn less and I figure it evens out in the end. I have worn a HRM a couple of times and I feel that this is a pretty estimation. I do not want to always wear one though.
  • FloEd
    FloEd Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started wearing a HRM a few months ago mainly to track calories burned. It varies GREATLY WOD to WOD so I'm glad I have it. What I am finding more interesting lately is my max HR during the WOD. Last week we did Nancy on Monday (lots of running) and later in the week we did a WOD with bear complex and slam balls. HR was higher for the bear complex WOD.

I will say I always log a bit less than what my HRM says I burned, just because I like buffers. :-)
  • Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Using a Polar HRM too here for the workouts...I find I can burn 650 calories + in a 60 minutes workout when it's really hard (since I'm new to crossfit, everything is kind of pretty hard hehe) but my burn varies between 500 to 600 +...Really interesting to know.
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I wear my Polar FT60 every time - I like to see the variations in HR and calories burned from the different WODs. Mine have ranged from 250 to well over 500 calories burned for a CrossFit session.
  • aggiejane07
    aggiejane07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 310XT and you put in your level of fitness (from 1-10 on with 10 being someone who works out at high intensity 7 days a week). I rank myself as a 7. I average about 200-250 cal a workout with the workouts that involve long runs getting up to a max of 450 (ie 4x 800mrun plus 50 box jumps). A lot of this depends on your weight and level of fitness. I like that my watch accounts for your level of fitness. i just switched from my old garmin 350 and it didn't base its calculations on HR or fitness level and my runs were being calculated at almost 30 calories per mile higher on that watch than my new one. Honestly, the most important thing is that you put a ton of effort into it. You aren't necessarily going to burn a lot of calories in the moment with xfit but the muscles you grow will make you burn more calories in the long term.
  • aggiejane07
    aggiejane07 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The bear complex is a killer. You are using your whole body and are in a kind of weird position so it ups your hr more than running.
  • joewaleck
    Options
    I use an HRM every time I crossfit and I range from 600-1000 calories burned. I've been using the same HRM for a year and I think it's as accurate as these devices can be, which is debatable. Take it with a big grain of salt, but I know I'm getting a great workout regardless of what it says on my wrist.

I'm 37 years old and weigh about 205.
  • stormchaser43
    stormchaser43 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM too and have NO idea why I didn't think of using it for Crossfit - I use it for running all the time. :blushing: Can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks guys.