Holiday Traveling - what are you tips/tricks?

Options
robynn412
robynn412 Posts: 97 Member
Some holidays it's easier, and more enjoyable, for my husband, daughter, and I to run away from all the family craziness and enjoy just us. This Thanksgiving being one of them; we are running away to Disneyland. We've turned Thanksgiving week into a Southern CA vacation, and as excited as I am to go, I am terrified of all the wonderful indulgences that will be calling my name, especially at the parks.

Right now I'm in planning mode, I want to be as prepared as possible. We have a full kitchen where we're staying, which is great, a lot of meals can be done there...probably all breakfasts, some lunch/dinners. Will be stocking up on fruits and veggies, and no excuse not to take advantage and cook and eat like we do at home, save some money too.

As big a temptation the parks can be foodwise, the upside is having to walk all over the place for hours on end. Three of our days will be spent between Disneyland and CA Adventure, including Thanksgiving dinner buffet at the Disneyland Hotel...yikes! I'm envisioning (secretly hoping for) a giant Mickey shaped turkey (probably not likely, haha!). Will have my pedometer on me to track all my steps, and try and be conscious about my choices and portions when eating out. I think we can bring in our own snacks too, hopefully that will help me bypass the ice cream, churro, and frozen lemonade stands strategically positioned EVERYWHERE!

Have also scouted out the gym amenities at our resort, which gives me no excuses to get in exercise every day we're down there.

Not to mention this challenge is giving me some extra motivation to take with me...couldn't have come at a better time. I'm even thinking about packing my scale so I can still weigh-in. Something must be changing in me, I would NEVER consider taking a scale on vacation before.

What works for you when you travel/vacation? I'm sure I'm not the only one going away, would love to hear some ideas.

Thanks!!

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    My tip is to focus on fun, togetherness & relaxation. I still track my food intake. Remember vacation does not equal "pigging out"!
  • rae347
    rae347 Posts: 10
    Options
    My new personal tactic is talking myself through what I need and what I want. I try to assess whether I am really hungry and only eat if it has been a few hours since I last ate. On vacation... I am hoping to tell myself I am "too busy" doing this or that activity to stop and eat more when I am not hungry. If there are cookies on the counter- I am too busy talking to my family member. I also try to know which meals the next day I will eat out or with family and then try to make say breakfast, light and healthy (a piece of fruit).

My dad who is a personal trainer would say to stick with your meal plan 100% even while on vacation, with a couple cheat meals (not whole days!!)... So I suppose everyone has to tackle it differently!