Been here before

Options
CDH786
CDH786 Posts: 12 Member
Since joining myfitnesspal I have logged in every day - and wonder if I need to continue to do this or if people on maintenance wean themselves off the food logging after a while. I am sticking to weekly weighing, but have a real fear of slipping back into bad habits and gaining again. I am sure exercise, and in my case particularly core muscle strength is vital to maintaining not just the weight, but the lower body fat % and a good body shape. As soon as I put on an ounce it goes straight to the waistline. Does anyone else have this problem? And a solution? Thanks!

Replies

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm headed toward maitenance and personally I plan to continue logging my food here daily. I need the accountability. In the last three years I've lost 30 lbs, gained 10 back and finally lost that final 10 - again! It's taken longer to lose it this time and I've had to watch my combo of calories, changing up exercise, incorporated whey protein, whatever works so I plan to keep logging and think I'll go with staying within 2 lbs of my goal weight.

Good luck to you!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about 20 weeks now and have logged every day that I can. Like ggeise14, I need the accountability. I have noticed though, that I've made changes to my lifestyle that are permanent. I make better choices when I go out and I find ways to get in those extra steps in a day. Maintenance mode is a whole new beast, but we'll all conquer it :)
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I plan to stick with MFP. I have yo-yoed to many times. It's easier to keep track.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i LOVE mfp, and have been maintaining for over a year and still log all the time. maybe in the future i wont log every day, but for now my healthy lifestyle includes logging my food
  • lisab0864
    lisab0864 Posts: 154
    Options
    I've been at goal since April 2011 and still track my food daily (except when on vacation). Yesterday was my first day using MFP (integrated w/BodyMedia Fit).. I also weigh myself daily so realistically I probably don't need to be so anal about tracking but............I'm never going back to the way I was!!!!
  • monicaroozo
    Options
    After losing 27 lbs I reached my goal in June and did well during my first month of maintaining (while logging and being accountable). I stopped logging and let loose on a vacation during the past 3 months and put 15 lbs back on. Now I am back in weightloss mode. I am excited for the challenge again. Maintaining is hard when the challenge and rewards are not there!

Now, I plan to loose the 10 by the holidays and reset my goals to maintain at a slightly higher weight than before. For me, I think that this new goal will be more manageable.

I hope to be able to stop logging at some point. I have learned a lot from my first pass... but I will try to keep at it longer this time around in maintenance.
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Maintaining is hard when the challenge and rewards are not there!

I have just joined this group because my motivation has gone for exactly the reason above. I am my lowest weight for years and am enjoying it by re-discovering my lovely wardrobe of clothes which now fit and...erm....eating whatever I want!

While losing, I logged religiously - however, I recently got my first "has not logged in for 3 days" message since forever. I am lucky in that the past 3 weeks or so, I have barely put on a pound, but I know deep down that this is not a sensible way to continue and I know that it is very common for all lost weight to return over time. It terrifies me that I might have to go through the discipline of losing the weight all over again just because I let myself get sloppy. I really hated being bigger (and I need to remember that when I next choose a cake with my coffee)

I am going to start logging again, but perhaps build in a buffer like "only log during the week and then use judgement to eat moderately with a few treats at the weekend" and see how that goes. If I see the weight creep back on - I will need to review my "maintain strategy".

What does everyone else reckon?
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for about 6 months. I still log almost everyday. Even though eating right and working are part of my normal routine. Since I don't see results on the scale, it is a way for me to see I am still doing things right. I give myself off days and eat what I want, I just watch the portions. So far this has been working. I have reached a point that I need to change my workout schedule if I want to see new changes in my body. It is time to do some toning and build more muscle.

But, I also log my food to make sure I eat enough of my calories back. I do high calorie burning workouts almost 5 days a week and really don't want to get any smaller. I do believe maintaining is almost as difficult as loosing, it is just a different challenge. Good luck to everyone. YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • brengearhart
    brengearhart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost 78 pounds, so I think Im gonna stick with what worked, I am going to continue to log everything, however I have backed off the amounts/days of exercising. I felt that if I kept up at that pace, I'd continue to lose. However, if I do start to gain, back to what worked to get the weight off. I need accountablility to keep on track, took a year to get off the weight, I don't ever want to have to do that again.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    This week is my 5-month maintenance anniversary. I've only made 2 changes since getting out of weight-loss mode: I only weigh-in once a week, as opposed to daily; and I've cut back my workouts from 6 days a week to 5. I still use the diary religiously because while I think I have the hang of what and how much I should be eating, I just feel more in control having it documented. So far so good, I've been able to stay within the 5-pound window that I set (my goal weight of 140, plus 2 pounds on either side of that).

I'm surprised (in a good way) that I have been able to stay disciplined. I think fear is a big motivator because I feel like if I let myself slip up "just this once" then it will become easier to accept those slip ups more often, and then before I know it I'm back where I started. Do not want to go back to that, ever.
  • 1sophiesophie
    Options
    This week is my 5-month maintenance anniversary. I've only made 2 changes since getting out of weight-loss mode: I only weigh-in once a week, as opposed to daily; and I've cut back my workouts from 6 days a week to 5. I still use the diary religiously because while I think I have the hang of what and how much I should be eating, I just feel more in control having it documented. So far so good, I've been able to stay within the 5-pound window that I set (my goal weight of 140, plus 2 pounds on either side of that).

I'm surprised (in a good way) that I have been able to stay disciplined. I think fear is a big motivator because I feel like if I let myself slip up "just this once" then it will become easier to accept those slip ups more often, and then before I know it I'm back where I started. Do not want to go back to that, ever.

Congrats! I hear you on the fear factor.....
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options

YOU said nothing but a WORD!!!!!!! OMG!!! People don't realize when you are losing there are constant new discoveries and dazzling new NSVs daily and kudos but when it all stops...life happens stress, changes happen then you have to adapt! That is not always easy!
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Been in maintenance since April. I gain a pound or two and lose it back...staying right around my target weight. My biggest problem at first was allowing myself to eat more...that was the closest I have ever been to an eating disorder. I was paying WAY to much attention to calories and worrying I would blow all the hard work.

Now I am actually trying to lower body fat % through high protein and weight training. That will mean gaining pounds back, but it's really more about bf% for me now.
  • OldDog_NewTricks
    OldDog_NewTricks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    First I would like to say congrats on your weight loss! You look absolutely fabulous and nowhere near your age! I've lost 56 pounds. It was uncharted territory once I reached goal and started maintenance. After all those months of being in 'loss mode' it was difficult to figure out what to do as far as MFP was concerned.

It took me awhile to figure out how many calories I needed to eat to maintain. I logged during this period, but once I figured out my calorie and exercise needs, I decided to quit logging. I sometimes log to do a quick check to be sure my nutritional goals are still on track, or if I have a day where my food is unfamiliar and I wanted to know exactly how many calories I was eating.

It was also kind of a let down when I didn't get to post my pounds lost for my weekly weigh in. I really looked forward to that. Everyone is different and it will take awhile to find what works for you. People on maintenance are still welcome here at MFP. After all it is My FITNESS Pal, and it's not all about weight loss.
  • OldDog_NewTricks
    OldDog_NewTricks Posts: 10 Member
    Options

YOU said nothing but a WORD!!!!!!! OMG!!! People don't realize when you are losing there are constant new discoveries and dazzling new NSVs daily and kudos but when it all stops...life happens stress, changes happen then you have to adapt! That is not always easy!

^^HOW TRUE!
  • jkuhn71
    jkuhn71 Posts: 199
    Options
    I've been maintaining within a few pounds (gain a couple, then lose a couple) for a little over a year now. I try to log during the weekdays, but have stopped on the weekends. I've slacked off the last month or two in the exercise arena and KNOW I need to get more serious there again - it's what allows me those 'free weekends' I've grown so accustomed to! :smile: For me, I think logging keeps me accountable. If I get away from it too much, I'm afraid I'll slide into the old, bad habits and will gain back the weight I lost!
  • 1sophiesophie
    Options
    I've been maintaining within a few pounds (gain a couple, then lose a couple) for a little over a year now. I try to log during the weekdays, but have stopped on the weekends. I've slacked off the last month or two in the exercise arena and KNOW I need to get more serious there again - it's what allows me those 'free weekends' I've grown so accustomed to! :smile: For me, I think logging keeps me accountable. If I get away from it too much, I'm afraid I'll slide into the old, bad habits and will gain back the weight I lost!

Well done for maintaining for such a long time. It is reassuring to hear from people who are succeeding at it (I'm just starting) and doing it with some leniency too ("gain a couple, then lose a couple") - I think this is the most realistic way to be - understand when to let yourself go and reel yourself back in before it gets out of hand.

Good luck getting back on track with the exercise. I have some equipment at home (or sometimes I just use a DVD). I find that as soon as I ask myself "can I be bothered to do any exercise right now?", I just go and change into my kit anyway, telling myself that I still don't have to do it if I don't want to. By the time I've changed, I'll never just change out again without having done something - that would just be silly. I guess my tiny brain is easily fooled :), but it is a trick that has worked for me when motivation is low!!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I think I will be logging my food for a long time, I lost 107 lbs in the last 2 yrs and am terrified of gaining it back. I have been here before I lost 105 lbs about 14 yrs ago kept it off for 4 yrs got sick and gained it back. So it terrifies me that it will happen all over again. When I started i was so sick i was barely functioning, now i feel like I have my life back and DO NOT want to go back
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Last summer, the weight was staying off really easily, so I didn't think I'd ever need to log again. Now I'm up to the weight that was my original goal weight (when the weight was falling off, I increased the goal). I realize that in the summer, I was often exercising more than two hours a day, and doing intense workouts at that. Now it seems that I need to log food at least a couple of times a week to be real with myself, and log exercise every day, because it's simply impossible for me to spend that much time on exercise during the school year.

It's so good to have this forum.
  • CDH786
    CDH786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your kind words. It is just the encouragement I need and I do hope you are managing to maintain your new slim self as well. I would like to see a star system or similar for those of us on maintenance so we can collect points for being within 2 lbs of our target weight for every month after reaching target. Wouldn't it be great to see 12 stars for staying there for a whole year! And some may not get stars every month, but could get back to "star weight" a month or two later and keep the collection going. Do you like this idea? Thanks.
    CDH