Share your Race Adventure of this year

Options
2»

Replies

• PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Ran the Niagara Falls International Marathon to complete my first ever race in two countries- managed to cut an hour and 37 minutes off my time from my first marathon (granted, that one was REALLY slow) and am looking for my next adventure!

Really cool. Two countries in one race what fun.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Just finished the LEO Run to Remember half marathon in Meridian, Mississippi. Great course. Challenging course! Hilly course!!!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first marathon this weekend - the Monumental in Indianapolis. Followed my plan to keep a nice slow pace the entire way to feel good at the end. The adventure part included cold, rain and sleet and a husband who decided instead of following me just a couple of miles on his bike then driving to certain points on the route, to attempt to ride the entire race (untrained). He started cramping at about mile 15 and had to drop completely at 24. My sister and a friend had joined me at mile 20 and were able to help get him to others there to cheer us on at that point (who happened to have a bike rack). He has a new respect for training, and of course we will have the stories of his hurting more than me at the end of my first marathon for a long time!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Began running on May 20 to find I could only go 1/8 of a mile. Ran my second 5K on October 13th, the OctoberFast, with my daughter and wife, as we had planned back in May. Set a new PR in the 5K, lined back up and ran the 10K ten minutes later just for fun. Friends from work thought I had lost my mind but everyone was there at the finish line cheering me in!!! Great time for everyone.
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This year brought (2) 50k races and a third is in a couple weeks. This is a big step up for me and the entire years training and racing has been a long twisted adventure. Read all about it at http://www.sftrails.com if you are moving to ultras in 2013.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I ran my first marathon (Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon) and my first Ragnar Relay (TN) this year. Both lots of fun! Ragnar is the best as far as "adventures" go for me. I'm adding Ragnar Key West to my race list for 2013. It's coming up in January!!
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! I am really enjoying reading about everyone's adventures. Running with lions, running cross-Countries (literally), running when you never could before, placing in your age group because you are the only one in your age group .... Great stuff! :happy:

I ran cross country in high school (we're talking late 1980's here, folks) and then NOTHING until re-starting two years ago, so it ALL feels like a great adventure! I've shed 75 pounds and gone from huffing and puffing to walk around the block to two half-marathons under my belt and starting a 20 week program for my first Full Marathon in May 2013.
    This year brought (2) 50k races and a third is in a couple weeks. This is a big step up for me and the entire years training and racing has been a long twisted adventure. Read all about it at http://www.sftrails.com if you are moving to ultras in 2013.

If the marathon goes well, I do want to complete an Ultra in Fall 2013! I've noticed that most Marathons seem to be road races, whereas most Ultras are not only "ultra" because of the distance, but as trail runs there is the terrain factor. Thanks for the link!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Easy for me to pick: Trans Rockies run. 6 day stage race. Amazing adventure. I'd love to do Trans Alps someday, maybe 2014? Anyhow, highly recommend Trans Rockies to any endurance junkie. Nothing like spending 6 days running with a bunch of other people who are, simply put, crazy about running.

http://transrockies-run.com/
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My favorite race adventure was the Warrior Dash, in Warrior, AL. It rained on and off the whole way, so it was extremely MUDDY which made it all the more fun!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just completed my last race of the year, a 50 mile trail run that was so wet and muddy I want to be re-classified as a marine mammal.
  • trail_rnr
    Options
    I just completed my last race of the year, a 50 mile trail run that was so wet and muddy I want to be re-classified as a marine mammal.
    Which 50 was this? (so I make sure to avoid it! :laugh: )
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    Ran the Niagara Falls International Marathon to complete my first ever race in two countries- managed to cut an hour and 37 minutes off my time from my first marathon (granted, that one was REALLY slow) and am looking for my next adventure!

AWESOME!!:drinker:
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options

This made me laugh. This sounds so fun. :laugh:
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    I ran my first marathon (Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon) and my first Ragnar Relay (TN) this year. Both lots of fun! Ragnar is the best as far as "adventures" go for me. I'm adding Ragnar Key West to my race list for 2013. It's coming up in January!!

WOW! Congratulations on all your healthy success this year. Really Good Stuff. :drinker:
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options
    What a great thread! I am really enjoying reading about everyone's adventures. Running with lions, running cross-Countries (literally), running when you never could before, placing in your age group because you are the only one in your age group .... Great stuff! :happy:

I ran cross country in high school (we're talking late 1980's here, folks) and then NOTHING until re-starting two years ago, so it ALL feels like a great adventure! I've shed 75 pounds and gone from huffing and puffing to walk around the block to two half-marathons under my belt and starting a 20 week program for my first Full Marathon in May 2013.

If the marathon goes well, I do want to complete an Ultra in Fall 2013! I've noticed that most Marathons seem to be road races, whereas most Ultras are not only "ultra" because of the distance, but as trail runs there is the terrain factor. Thanks for the link!

Good Luck to you. Hope to read the adventure here.
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ottawa got hit with 30cm of snow, so I did the only logical thing. Dressed up like Santa and went running in a snow storm.
    74072_10151423573651719_1084529808_n.jpg
  • trail_rnr
    Options
    Ottawa got hit with 30cm of snow, so I did the only logical thing. Dressed up like Santa and went running in a snow storm.
    THAT is AWESOME! Merry merry!
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    Options

Crazy awesome. Merry Christmas you Rock!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Ran a 5K with my 8yo daughter. Her first. It was magic. She had the time of her life. Such a special time.

Ran a different 5K with my 10yo daughter. Not her first, but her first without health issues. She's struggled the past 3 or so years with stomach and GI issues. Every time a race would come along that she'd want to race, her pains and problems weren't far behind. This 5K was the first one that she was able to train and race with a moderately high level of health. It was so special watching her actually enjoy herself. A father's dream come true.

I rocked a marathon this Autumn. Our family has been struggling through great upheaval and simply making it to the starting line was always in question. So making it to the start, then racing well above expectations was pretty sweet. Still, it doesn't compete with doing 5K's with my daughters.
  • dellafiora3395
    dellafiora3395 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started running back in the spring, and I finally defeated my GI issues and got them under control. I ran so many more races than I was planning on, joined the cross-country team, and it's been a great year.

3 5k's
    3 cross-country races (5k's)
    1 7k
    1 10k
    1 HALF MARATHON! <3