Do you excersie on keto and did it change your weight loss?

Options
gmansmom2
gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
I just started exercising again in the last couple of days. I weighed this morning and was up. I had tons of sodium yesterday so that could be it but I also wondered if it was the exercise.

Do you exercise on the keto plan? If so, what do you do and has it impacted your weight loss?

Thanks!

Replies

• ronellevan
    Options
    I was worried about lack of energy on a low carb/high fat diet.
    But I have been on one for months now and feel really good.
    We do several hectic classes a week and I always have energy for them.

You must remember though that exercise does not equal weight loss the next day, that's not how it works.
    Weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Exercise simply helps boost metabolism over the long term, and changes your body composition.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I haven't exercised enough to claim I have. LOL But I want to tell you that exercise did not make you gain fat, so don't worry about the scales.
    If I understand it right, exercise can cause our muscles to temporarily hold onto a bit more fluid. That combined with eating more sodium could be the cause.
    Also, did you have a lot of carbohydrates the day before? Carbo'hydrates'.... "hydrates"....when we eat more carbs than normal, we retain more fluid, temporarily, to help process them.

The key here is.... you didn't gain fat that quick, so don't worry about it. The scales WILL fluctuate as we lose.
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I am doing a mixture if Turbo Fire and ChaLean Extreme 5x a week and haven't lost energy and I only notice a loss when I'm consistent with my workouts and remain on a keto diet.
    It most likely is water weight where your muscles are protecting themselves from the introduction of something new.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am going to keep up the exercise and see what happens. All your comments grounded me from my panic! :smile:

I bet it is water weight and as long as my body is changing for the better I am happy.

I am doing good on my carbs - sticking to 20 and under.

Thanks!
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Step away from the scale...
    Keep your diet clean and consistent and use measurements of key body areas (waist, thighs, hips, etc). An increase in weight could also mean an increase in lean muscle mass but you may also be loosing fat in the process.
    Try for measurements weekly at most and scale bi weekly at most. We tend to over obsess about those and not listen to our body.

Watch your sodium levels, keep your water intake plentiful and get your MICROs in (greens and quality supplements)
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It's probably just water, I doubt it's exercise related :)

Make sure you get enough water and eat more if you're doing a lot of exercise. You want a calorie deficit, but not the starvation effect.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I always notice little weight gains when exercising but it's only your sore muscles hanging on to water while they repair themselves. You certainly don't gain fat from exercising and really it's fat we want to lose, not just weight.

I'm trying to make sure I only weigh myself at most once a week or even longer if I can hold out as I can sometimes obsess over the scales a bit.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 strength sessions a week, a few circuits sessions and a run or two, it really helps my weightloss