Just re-run my no's through Scooby...

Options
catbrand
catbrand Posts: 227 Member
OK... Just been trying to work out why I've binged this week, there's got to be more to it than just mindless binging, I think some of it is hormones, but I think the real culprit is that I've started NROLFW and so I've begun a whole new exercise regime, which has taken a whole load of my energy.

So here is my schedule:
Mon: Kickboxing for 2 hours + 30 minutes walking each way.
Tues: NROLFW Dog walk approx 60 mins
Weds: Rest day. Dog walk, approx 60 mins.
Thurs: Kickboxing 90mins + 30 mins walk each way
Fri: NROLFW
Sat: Rest (I waitress for up to 6 hours on Saturdays which can be pretty active, but I don't count it)
Sun: NROLFW
I also do the school run 5 days a week although that's not far, plus I work in a kitchen 3 days a week so I'm pretty active the whole time.

I have been eating 2300 calories which I thought was my TDEE at moderate activity level, but having kept a log of my exercise for the last couple of weeks since I started NROLFW, I've actually been doing 7-8 hours of exercise a week! So I just put this number into Scooby and apparently my new TDEE is 2896!! That's an insane amount of calories!!! Apparently 2300 is a 20% cut! But if that is true, why aren't I losing weight? If anything I have gained weight, although I haven't weighed for a while because of the inevitable weight gain from lifting and TOM. (I just answered my own question there I think)

But seriously, 2986 calories, does that sound right? It sounds completely crazy to me!! For the record, I'm female, 26, 5'7'' (170cm), 157lbs, and very confused!!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    OK... Just been trying to work out why I've binged this week, there's got to be more to it than just mindless binging, I think some of it is hormones, but I think the real culprit is that I've started NROLFW and so I've begun a whole new exercise regime, which has taken a whole load of my energy.

So here is my schedule:
    Mon: Kickboxing for 2 hours + 30 minutes walking each way.
    Tues: NROLFW Dog walk approx 60 mins
    Weds: Rest day. Dog walk, approx 60 mins.
    Thurs: Kickboxing 90mins + 30 mins walk each way
    Fri: NROLFW
    Sat: Rest (I waitress for up to 6 hours on Saturdays which can be pretty active, but I don't count it)
    Sun: NROLFW
    I also do the school run 5 days a week although that's not far, plus I work in a kitchen 3 days a week so I'm pretty active the whole time.

I have been eating 2300 calories which I thought was my TDEE at moderate activity level, but having kept a log of my exercise for the last couple of weeks since I started NROLFW, I've actually been doing 7-8 hours of exercise a week! So I just put this number into Scooby and apparently my new TDEE is 2896!! That's an insane amount of calories!!! Apparently 2300 is a 20% cut! But if that is true, why aren't I losing weight? If anything I have gained weight, although I haven't weighed for a while because of the inevitable weight gain from lifting and TOM. (I just answered my own question there I think)

But seriously, 2986 calories, does that sound right? It sounds completely crazy to me!! For the record, I'm female, 26, 5'7'' (170cm), 157lbs, and very confused!!

You are shooting yourself in the metabolism thinking underestimating time and effort will be better in the end.

6 hrs on your feet moving slightly is not resting. On your feet in a kitchen does count. School walk does count.

Is the Monday kickboxing following a lifting day that involves the legs? Are you still sore on Monday from lifting on Sunday?
    Stop the kickboxing if so, or the lifting.

Too much exercise is counter productive to weight loss, as it's all a stress anyway, as is the diet. Too much stress, bad for fat loss.
    Glad to see the walking for recovery on the other days.

So, using those times and activities (though need to know the kitchen hrs a week, and school walk minutes a week), and the spreadsheet in this link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Activities assumed or stated.
    17 hrs/wk standing/moving work (5 Sat, 4 x 3 kitchen)
    75 min/wk school walk - Light
    120 min/wk dog walk up to 3 mph - Light
    120 min/wk gym walk 3-4 mph - Moderate
    210 min/wk kickboxing - Heavy
    135 min/wk lifting - (guessed, not stated in comments)
    11 hrs a week of actual exercise from walking on up. At least much is walking.

BMR - 1485 (knowing bodyfat % estimate could be better yet, formula's in the sheet).
    Activities level multiplier - 1.61
    TDEE - 2393

Daily goal since you are getting some lifting in, but 60% of workouts are cardio - 1960.

Now, a huge reason for no actual weight loss is because you are asking your body to make a lot of improvements with all that exercise. And it's probably finally getting the food for it.
    So your LBM is going up (glucose stores, blood volume, water retention, not muscle at that rate).

So I'd suggest you actually were eating at TDEE, but the stress of so much exercise still makes it difficult.

Those values of course change in the sheet depending on what speed the walking is done, or time, or work time actually spent, ect.
    Be honest.

And you got to be measuring besides weight, that sheet has the 8 spots you need to measure, plus any problem areas not included. That will tell you what is really being lost.
  • catbrand
    Options
    Thanks for that, I just put all my numbers in and got some pretty strange results! Apparently my BF% is 26% (My scales say 29%, but I don't completely trust them) and I sat and worked out all my activity and it said my BMR was 1541, fair enough, and my TDEE was 7380!! Apparently I should aim for 6470 calories per day! I checked and re-checked but I can't see that I've done anything wrong! Maybe it's too early in the morning for me!

I hear what you're saying about losing the Sunday NROLFW or the Monday kickboxing, at the moment I'm only on stage one of NROLFW and I'm not sore on Mondays (for some reason, if I get DOMS, it kicks in 2 days later) but I appreciate as I get further into the program I might have to consider dropping the Sunday session or maybe doing it early on Sunday morning, then I have nearly 36 hours to recover before kickboxing?! I just can't give up kickboxing, it's a passion and Mondays session really isn't that bad, the first hour is a kids class which I help in and the second hour is a warm up and pad drills for the adults class, there's no sparring on Mondays.

I also never thought of my work as exercise! I suppose I'd tell anyone else who works on their feet to count it, but I've been doing it so long that I just think of it as part of my normal day. The trouble is sometimes I can be rushed off my feet, sometimes I can just be standing still for ages, depending on what I'm doing and how busy it is, so if I've had a slow day it doesn't feel like exercise!

I weighed and measured this morning, I'm now 161.2 (up 4.2lbs since upping cals from 2100 and starting NROLFW, but I did overeat massively yesterday) I've also gained 0.5cm on my bicep, wrist, thigh and ankle; 1cm on my chest; 1.5cm on my waist and 2.5cm on my hips in a week. I can only assume/hope this massive gain in measurements is due to sodium from eating rubbish yesterday and water retention from lifting.

I'm actually terrified at the thought of eating even more. I was quite happy to increase my calories to TDEE (or what I thought was TDEE) but given that I'm gaining weight and inches, eating more seems counteractive. I just can't get my head round it! Especially eating such a high number. I just don't see myself as that active, even though when I write it down, I suppose I'm more active that I give myself credit for?

Sorry if I sound really whiny and annoying, I thought I had this whole thing sussed and now suddenly it's all gone out the window!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that, I just put all my numbers in and got some pretty strange results! Apparently my BF% is 26% (My scales say 29%, but I don't completely trust them) and I sat and worked out all my activity and it said my BMR was 1541, fair enough, and my TDEE was 7380!! Apparently I should aim for 6470 calories per day! I checked and re-checked but I can't see that I've done anything wrong! Maybe it's too early in the morning for me!

I hear what you're saying about losing the Sunday NROLFW or the Monday kickboxing, at the moment I'm only on stage one of NROLFW and I'm not sore on Mondays (for some reason, if I get DOMS, it kicks in 2 days later) but I appreciate as I get further into the program I might have to consider dropping the Sunday session or maybe doing it early on Sunday morning, then I have nearly 36 hours to recover before kickboxing?! I just can't give up kickboxing, it's a passion and Mondays session really isn't that bad, the first hour is a kids class which I help in and the second hour is a warm up and pad drills for the adults class, there's no sparring on Mondays.

I also never thought of my work as exercise! I suppose I'd tell anyone else who works on their feet to count it, but I've been doing it so long that I just think of it as part of my normal day. The trouble is sometimes I can be rushed off my feet, sometimes I can just be standing still for ages, depending on what I'm doing and how busy it is, so if I've had a slow day it doesn't feel like exercise!

I weighed and measured this morning, I'm now 161.2 (up 4.2lbs since upping cals from 2100 and starting NROLFW, but I did overeat massively yesterday) I've also gained 0.5cm on my bicep, wrist, thigh and ankle; 1cm on my chest; 1.5cm on my waist and 2.5cm on my hips in a week. I can only assume/hope this massive gain in measurements is due to sodium from eating rubbish yesterday and water retention from lifting.

I'm actually terrified at the thought of eating even more. I was quite happy to increase my calories to TDEE (or what I thought was TDEE) but given that I'm gaining weight and inches, eating more seems counteractive. I just can't get my head round it! Especially eating such a high number. I just don't see myself as that active, even though when I write it down, I suppose I'm more active that I give myself credit for?

Sorry if I sound really whiny and annoying, I thought I had this whole thing sussed and now suddenly it's all gone out the window!!

Too early without coffee first dealing with numbers! Read the lines carefully.
    Work related activity is HOURS a week.
    Exercise activity is MINUTES a week.

If you can schedule the lifting Sun am and boxing is Mon pm, that's excellent idea that can work.
    But if you are sore by the time of the boxing, just keep in mind you will be pretty much wasting that lifting workout because you'll be killing the recovery/repair that could have made you stronger. If soreness starts Sun evening and good night's sleep and protein before bed, and gone by Mon afternoon, you are safe.

True on the weigh-in. Don't even waste mental stress by doing weigh in day after bad eating.

Morning after rest day of eating normal sodium levels. Find that day and stick to just that one day. If still sore, know you are retaining water too, and may be anyway. But not likely if a good rest day.
    Like Thu am probably.

So eating around 2300 thought to be TDEE, I didn't have all your time at lower levels there, but it won't be much more than that.

And deficit goal at 1960 is decently below what you've been eating near TDEE, isn't it, even if it goes up slightly due to increased time on the unknowns I couldn't use.

And yes you did gain, your body finally had the means of having some extra carbs to store glucose which had probably always been in a deficit state. That is just false weight loss anyway.
    Same 5 lbs when starting the diet is just that water weight. That'll come back when maintenance is eaten again.
  • catbrand
    Options
    Thankyou!!! I get it now, Yes, it was the hours/minutes part I was missing. I shouldn't do spreadsheets before 9am!

OK so now I've corrected it my new TDEE is 2425 with a cut of 1984. That makes much more sense. I'm going to call it 2400 and give that a go for a couple of weeks. I don't know where 2900 came from on Scooby, it's a little extreme!

I'll definitely be aware of the Sunday lifting and soreness, I don't want to do it for nothing and I don't want it to interfere with kickboxing either. I'm feeling OK now, but I think stage 2 is going to be much more demanding so I might have to drop that session, but that's something I'll deal with at the time.

As for weighing, the scale is back in the cupboard where it belongs. I felt bloated today which is a sure sign I ate too much sodium. I might do it again on Thursday, just to reassure myself that the bloat has gone, but then I'm going to try not to weigh for a month.

Thanks for all your help!