Calorie goals + fitbit, confused.

Options
hi all

1st full day of fitbit yesterday and results were that I had more cals than I would have expected.

However, I have my daily calorie goal set with the figures I took from Scooby, shall I be changing these to MFP standard goals or just leave them as I have them?

I appreciate that its the average over a month that I need to look at to get my TDEE then work on my cut but little confused as to what I need to do in the meantime.

thanks for any guidance

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    If yesterday was a typical day for you then you can expect to get a similar reading every day, in which case if your Scooby calculations settings you're currently using on MFP are hugely different you can just change your goals manually up or down accordingly.

If your activity levels vary from day to day, get a couple more readings and calculate an average to set as your goal. As you get more data you'll get a clearer idea of your TDEE.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you I'll leave if for now then :-)
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree watch it for at least a week to see an average maybe even longer. My TDEE can vary on the fitbit as much as 800 calories during the week. Depending on how active I am. Scooby set my TDEE as 2725. My fitbit TDEE this week had a high of 3100 and a low 2300. So 2700 is a good average and I am sticking with that. Also the fitbit only counts the walking type activity. If you lift or swim it will not count that. Something to keep in mind.

I love my fitbit. I was so disapointed when I forgot it on the charger when I took my kids to a science museum. I walked the whole day we opened and closed the place. I sat down for about 20min for lunch. I would have loved to see how much I walked. I get so used to havig it on. I even use it to walk my stairs when I can't get to the gyn for some reason. I love to best my last number. Not loving the negative exercise score but it will grow on me.
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    thanks guys

silly question how do I see what my TDEE is given from fitbit? Is there a view on FB to show it? or do is it the 'calories burned' figure?

cheers
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    thanks guys

silly question how do I see what my TDEE is given from fitbit? Is there a view on FB to show it? or do is it the 'calories burned' figure?

cheers

If you go onto your fitbit dashboard online you can change the date to look at previous days. The 'calories burned' number from previous days will be your TDEE of that day. It includes your BMR, projected calories burned by activities of daily living, calories from walking etc as calculated by fitbit and any other calories that you may have logged separately for exercise activities.
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Calories burned is your TDEE for the day per fitbit. Remember it only counts walking activites. I usually check out the last 7 days by selecting week from the dashboard. It will give your your TDEE and if synched with MFP the total calories you ate. It will give you your weekly deficit. I use that to determine how much I should be loosing. My Deficit this past week was 5200 calories so about a pound and a half.
  • Snubbleup
    Options
    Good information here about the fitbit. Bumping so I can check my numbers. :smile: