Professional School Students?

Who all is in Med/Dental/Vet/Law/etc. school? I'm at Oklahoma State Vet School in my 3rd year (though obviously a Sooner fan since I went to undergrad there). Who else?? I feel like professional school is a lot different than undergrad when it comes to dieting/time management/etc.

Replies

• chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    OK State med school here, 3rd year also. Time is a lot more plentyful during 3rd and 4th year for us but also varies with what month/clerkship we're in.

Obviously professional school is much more time intensive but you can manage it if you want. I am sure you always find time for your favorite tv shows, dont you? then make time for working out.
  • I wasn't really looking for advice... just wanted to see who else was in professional school. obviously people working on a thesis in grad school don't have the problem of "I'm in surgery for 5 hours and I'm literally not allowed to eat... what kind of lunch can fill me up for that long?" etc. etc.
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Med school here! Weight loss requires a LOT more time management and devotion when being a med student:(
  • I bet! Esp. once you start your internship with those long hours (at least from what I know from Grey's Anatomy and ER haha). Vet school doesn't require an internship thank goodness so we're done in 4 years (unless you choose to specialize).

Do you know what you want to specialize in?
  • mcavarouse
    mcavarouse Posts: 14 Member
    Yeaa for vet school!! Im in my third year at Virginia Tech program and I'm looking working with small animals, what about you?
  • QuitoBandito
    QuitoBandito Posts: 16 Member
    Vet school here - but in Scotland ;) I'm 26 and in my 4th year (but it's a five year program over here). Trying to specialize in small animal/cat/exotics. I seriously understand the lack of time we face! I have 24 hour ICU care for several weeks next year and not sure how I'm going to get through! And not to mention all the studying- it just makes me want to snack. Sent me a friend request if you'd like!
  • small animal here! Maybe some exotics on the side. I am able to mostly keep up with workouts this year, but I'm nervous for 4th year! however, I've also heard that you lose weight while in clinics because you have so little time to eat and you do a lot of walking around. yay?
  • ashleyxxxo
    ashleyxxxo Posts: 41 Member
    I'm starting optometry school in the fall and am terrified that it is going to wreck havoc on my body. How do you guys do it?
  • angelcakessmw
    angelcakessmw Posts: 1 Member
    I'm a student midwife here in England. We do shift work and long hours without the chance to eat/drink and then the women and families we look after bring in chocolates as a thank you for taking care of them. Yea, that doesnt help things much! lol
  • brunnerlc12
    brunnerlc12 Posts: 14 Member
    I'm in my third year of law school... I've managed to hold off the drastic weight gain so far, but with finals and law review and moot court and clinics I've still put on about 5-7. As this spring semester starts, I need motivation to stay on top of this and not get out of control. Feel free to add me!
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    I bet! Esp. once you start your internship with those long hours (at least from what I know from Grey's Anatomy and ER haha). Vet school doesn't require an internship thank goodness so we're done in 4 years (unless you choose to specialize).

Do you know what you want to specialize in?

Well I am still at the very beginning and haven't even had my big exams yet, but I think I might be able to maintain by simply counting calories! Won't have much time for exercise, but there can't go much wrong if I eat sensibly.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    I wasn't really looking for advice... just wanted to see who else was in professional school. obviously people working on a thesis in grad school don't have the problem of "I'm in surgery for 5 hours and I'm literally not allowed to eat... what kind of lunch can fill me up for that long?" etc. etc.

Okay, 3rd year in grad school and this is was not always the case. When you have days where you TA back to back and have days full of meetings, you are not able to eat when you are hungry and often end up skipping meals. Meals high in fiber and protein might help.
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Lunch with legumes are very filling and stay with you. Include another good source of protien, it should also help
  • Bookaholic88
    Bookaholic88 Posts: 106 Member
    3rd year law student here! Find it super hard to get motivated to work out after 6 hours straight of class and readings... but im gonna do it!
  • 2nd year law student at Penn State here. :) Gained TWENTY pounds my first year! Lost 25 this past summer and gained some more back now so I'm getting back on track and trying to leave some room for the dreaded Finals Weight Gain! Haha.