Fiber?

Options
I am wondering how you get enough fiber on low carb? What are the best sources and how many grams of carbs should I try to stay at?

Replies

• nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm working on that too. I try to get 25g, but most times I find that hard to get to. I've been using chia seeds. I make a pudding with them (almond milk, protein powder and chia seeds)
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are an excellent source of fibre, so is flaxseed. Some veggies are higher in fibre and lower carb than others.

Remember to subtract your fibre count from your total carbs for your Net Carb total.
  • Flautist643
    Flautist643 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can you refresh my memory on how to subtract fiber for net carbs? Thanks!
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I believe if you had 50g carbs and 20g of fiber, you would subtract them. So you net carbs would then be 30g.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on here for "MIMs" (muffin in a minute), you'll find a lot of recipes for some high fiber snacks. I try to eat 2 in a day and with my veggies, I get 25g or better of fiber. An you're right about net Carbs: carbs- fiber = net carbs. If a food shows sugar alcohols, you subtract those too.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I eat salad everyday. I also eat one slice of Healthy Life wheat bread a day (5 net carbs)...usually with my eggs for breakfast. Atkins bars has fiber and are yummy!
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    On a low fiber day I have a flax based MIM. Other than that, I get it from assorted veggies.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I second chia seeds! Pretty much all fiber and I've really grown to love my morning "chia seed shot" (1tbsp of chia seeds soaked in about 1/2-3/4 cup warm water or coffee)

Turnip greens I believe are around 1g net per cup (~6g carb, 5gfiber), spinach is also pretty good on the fiber. My favorite is artichokes! Broccoli is also great