3 weeks into TDEE Metabolism reset. Weight gain?!

Options
so my calories maintenance is 2562, i'm active 5 days a week, Cardio and weight training everyday, i'm 18 years old and i'm a bit curious.
I know with my past from eating really low calories (about 1 1/2 years) i will gain weight through this metabolism reset.
but three weeks ago i was 178, and now i'm 185. 7 pounds, in just 3 weeks? Is that even healthy?
How much am i supposed to be gaining during this metabolism reset.
I did 2100 calories for two weeks prior to the three weeks of upping it to 2562, and i was able to maintain on 2100 calories for those 2 weeks.
Should i cut down a bit from 2562, like maybe 2400 calories? And see if i maintain weight there? Because i don't want to continuously gain a large amount of weight.

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Are you noticing any difference in your clothes or is it just the scale?
  • TanKiwi2394
    Options
    Just the scale
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    would like to ask does its effect my clothes as well as scale
  • ActiveYogi
    ActiveYogi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    if your clothes don't fit any differently you may be gaining lean muscle. I weigh more than I did this summer but I can do more pushups and lift heavier weights, and still fit into my jeans
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bump
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There is no possible way that you gained an actual 7 lbs in three weeks. If you were maintaining at 2100 before upping, then we can assume a 400 cal surplus of cals if 2100 was MAYBE your TDEE. So in 3 weeks of 21 days x 400 cals = 8400 "extra" cals which would translate into only 2.5 pounds of ACTUAL weight. :smile: So... My guess is that you're actually fueling your body enough now and it's finally got enough energy to repair your muscles every day. Lifting weights every day may be counter intuitive because if you are lifting heavy enough you should really be only going at max 4x per week and letting your muscles grow on rest days. Just a thought. How much cardio are you actually doing as well? That may negate a lot of muscle growth too. Most things I have read have said at most 2/3 days of cardio along with maybe 2/3 days of HIIT max. Check this article out. Either way, it's water weight. Your body is learning to function with increased cals. Put your scale away. :wink:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/fat-loss-what-takes-look-best
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i think its just water u gained.

when i did the reset i gained 6 pounds, once i cut it fell off in a week and a half
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There is no possible way that you gained an actual 7 lbs in three weeks. If you were maintaining at 2100 before upping, then we can assume a 400 cal surplus of cals if 2100 was MAYBE your TDEE. So in 3 weeks of 21 days x 400 cals = 8400 "extra" cals which would translate into only 2.5 pounds of ACTUAL weight. :smile: So... My guess is that you're actually fueling your body enough now and it's finally got enough energy to repair your muscles every day. Lifting weights every day may be counter intuitive because if you are lifting heavy enough you should really be only going at max 4x per week and letting your muscles grow on rest days. Just a thought. How much cardio are you actually doing as well? That may negate a lot of muscle growth too. Most things I have read have said at most 2/3 days of cardio along with maybe 2/3 days of HIIT max. Check this article out. Either way, it's water weight. Your body is learning to function with increased cals. Put your scale away. :wink:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/fat-loss-what-takes-look-best

Awesome article! Thank you for sharing.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    When I did my reset, I gained 15#, clothes got really tight, and I'm now 10 weeks into my cut and have only lost 4# so I'm still up 11#. In my case, it was not just water weight. FWIW.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    if your clothes don't fit any differently you may be gaining lean muscle. I weigh more than I did this summer but I can do more pushups and lift heavier weights, and still fit into my jeans

You could perhaps hope to gain 1 lb lean muscle in a month if male, lifting heavy, eating lots of protein, and in surplus.

You can gain LBM which includes muscle, and water, and blood, and glucose, ect - everything BUT fat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with cutting back on level of activity. All of which is asking your body to make improvements that have weight gain as part of it.

Cardio is glucose stores and increased blood volume.
    Lifting is water retention.

Unless you are really doing the activity very smartly, you end up not getting the most out of any workout, nor getting the full recovery and repair from any workout.
    Plus those types of workouts really create elevated stress all the time, which is bad for hormones that will actually help hold onto fat.

You reach a plateau regarding your exercise too. Or soon will once those other things are really needed.

You might be able to drop some stuff and drop to 2100 as that TDEE level then.

Couple simple rules to examine your workout.
    HIIT should be no more than 20% of weekly cardio, and is same type of workout as weight lifting, needing same recovery.
    Weight lifting should only be proceeded day before by cardio Aerobic zone or less, and followed day after by cardio Recovery zone.
    Should never work out sore muscles from lifting with anything intense. If rarely sore, you aren't working them hard enough. Probably because of breaking another rule.

What is your weekly routine, activities, intensities?