Introductions

Options
Hey guys, I can see there's a good few members here but not a lot of chatting going on! Thought I might break the ice. cakeladynl was kind enough to give us her story and get this group started so I would like to "shake hands" with the founder and say hi!

I'm 35 years old, and I live in Codroy. I have 3 wonderful kids (2 almost in the lovely teenage years and one full on LOL) I am married to an outstanding man who loves me with all my jiggly bits but supports me in healthy habits and weight loss and joins me in the weight room and on long walks down to the gut with our 2 beautiful fur babies D'artagnan (our Newf) and Thor (our Lab).

The need for weight loss was not something I faced until after the birth of my last child. I had, over the course of 3 deliveries, gained 100 lbs, and developed PLENTY of horrible eating habits!! I yoyo'd with dieting, and exercise but never stuck with anything too long, certainly not long enough to make any lasting changes. Still, somehow I managed to take off 25 lbs in 5 years...that's a lot of yo yo.

When I turned 30 I had my "awakening". My dad had a heart attack and had to have a quadruple bypass. I had to see him in ICU..I didn't recognize him. He looked like he was on deaths door. That day I vowed I would do all things possible to make sure my kids never had to see me like that.

My weight loss, up until March this year, has been slow, but I had managed another 30lbs in basically 4 years. It's stayed off and it won't be coming back. Which brings me to March of this year when I found the wonderful world of apps and My Fitness Pal became a part of my world. Since March I have had the motivation that My Fitness Pal provides me to go for my last 40 lbs. I've lost 30 to date! As silly as it sounds I never thought about watching what I ate meaning really WATCHING what I ate! I could change what I ate, which was great, but I had to change the amount to! I was consuming way too much for me, and making horrible food choices! I didn't realize it until I started writing it down in the app!

I can honestly say now that I have made lasting changes! I am not hungry all the time, I eat less, I eat healthier and I workout more and I miss it if I skip a day! Not saying I don't fall off every once in awhile but I sure try harder not to. And now I only have 10 lbs left, and I feel fantastic!

The best thing is getting out for a run, hike or a walk! We Newfoundlanders have THEE best terrain to challenge us! And the most BEAUTIFUL scenery to motivate us!

Feel free to add me if you like!

Replies

• RobynBrockerville
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for sharing your story!
    Im currently living in Nova Scotia Attending Acadia University, and I miss the Newfoundland terrain like crazy. (And being surrounded by warm people with excellent accents). I was very fit in high school from wrestling, but when I moved to St.John's and started eating meal hall food at MUN, I packed on 20 lbs my first year. Progressively through my 4 years at MUN I continued to gain and when I finished at MUN I was (at my heaviest) 50 lbs heavier then high school. We all gain weight when we get older/develop adult frames, but the worst part of this was that I lost my fitness, lean muscle and gain weight/ate like garbage.

Not what you would expect from a Nutrition student. Battling limited prep time and funds as a student were difficult obstacles to healthy eating. Since my highest weight I have lost 30lbs. I have been making positive food changes that are realistic (that I can maintain long term) and have been exercising to get back in shape. Im loving every minute of it and feel amazing, Im now only 12lbs from my goal weight. If it happens that I can be healthy and not reach this weight, then thats ok too. Id love to have some Newfie support! (Might be rocking the Jillian Micheals 30 day shred soon. If anyone is a brave soul and is already doing/planning to do it haha I'd love to have some pals to get through it!