colonoscopy prep advice

Options
I have to have a colonoscopy soon. I haven't had one since 2005 but I remember not being able to drink much of the "prep" drink back then.

Any advise on how to manage drinking the amount of it I'm suppose to?

Replies

• JPLYLER09
    JPLYLER09 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just had one like 3 weeks ago. It tells you something like every hour I think... I put one of the flavored packets and put it in the fridge the night before so it was nice and cold going down and tried to just down it and get it over with lol
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. Did you have the procedure yet? If not and you have access to an N/G tube, just insert one of those and pour the solution in a 60cc syringe and voila!

If not, like the previous poster said, really really chill it. That should kill some of that bad taste. It really sucks having to drink that. I had one done 6 months ago. As you are probably aware, the prep is the hardest part of the whole experience.
  • AKbluedragonfly
    AKbluedragonfly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yeah with my last prep I didn't drink enough for it to cause me to go to the bathroom, but I had been so sick it didn't matter. The colonoscopy was able to proceed because I was already emptied out.
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    Options
    My best advice is to use a straw! I don't know what it was, I think it's because it just shot down my throat instead of hitting each taste bud and it's easier to drink faster with a straw but it really helped me out! Good luck!!!
  • chefsusan
    chefsusan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you get naucous with it, contact your doctor and see if he/she can give you something for the nausau. My gi doc asked why he did not hear from the night before (during the prep) so that I can have something. He is the kind of doc that answers his own phone after hours. Kinda nice.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I had one back in Feb. and the prep was so much worse than the procedure! It made me nauseous too, but I managed to not throw up.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor if I could put tequila in mine. He said "just follow the directions". haha
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor if I could put tequila in mine. He said "just follow the directions". haha

darn! and I think I have to have one this year; no fun at all - the prepping :sad:
  • Skippyherron
    Skippyherron Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think they've improved since then.....they dont' seem as bad anymore to me.....or maybe i'm just getting used to them (EUGH!)

Chilling is the best option with anything you have to drink.....that straw idea is a great idea, but that just may prolong the agony......down the hatch fast works well for me.
  • fitqueen2
    fitqueen2 Posts: 5
    Options
    I mixed mine with gatorade, sprite and pineapple juice.
  • deebelky
    deebelky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could ask your doc about the prep that uses a couple of pills and a lot less liquid. I tried that one a couple of scopes ago, but it didn't work for me... didn't really clean me out. But everyone is different. Might be worth asking about.
  • angelfish257
    angelfish257 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth asking if there is anything different you can take - I don't know what prep it is you've been given but for me, Klean-prep is a no-go - I just cant keep it down for it to do what it's meant to! In more recent preps I've tolerated picolax much better, I was also given liquid stuff once which was almost pleasant to take but I can't remember what it was called and haven't been given it again since. In short, there is more than one option for prep so dont be afraid to ask!
  • ovege
    ovege Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mmmm pineapple juice, I didn't think about that one! My bi-annual one last summer was with miralax and I was far more comfortable, got more sleep the night before so the recovery was easier.

I get so annoyed with the nurses in the office who are so glib, "oh you'll be fine the next day"....um no I won't because it will take me 2 days to get stabilized again because I will have been off my meds. :angry:
  • PurpleOctopus
    PurpleOctopus Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've had 19 colonoscopies. I ignore the gallon prep method - instead I drink 2 bottles of magnesium citrate (lemon flavor, never the red one). I fast for a whole day instead of just the half day the prep instructions indicate. First I take 2 DulcoIax. Then I start drinking my first bottle at 2 PM. Make sure it's ice cold. Finish my second bottle by 6 PM. The next morning, do a Fleet enema. I make sure my appointment is the first of the day so I can eat sooner. The doctors have always remarked how clean I was inside. The massive volume of prep most indicate is overkill, it can be hard on your blood sugar and your kidneys.
  • fab_ridz
    fab_ridz Posts: 73
    Options
    From all the preps that I have taken so far, the best one according to me is bi-peglyte.
    Includes stool softener and you only have to drink 2L of the solution.