6 month plateaus are discouraging

Options
I have been on my weight loss journey for 2-1/2 years and have lost 24 pounds. That averages to less than one pound per month, but it is actually five pounds one month then nothing for 6 months. One doctor told me to "simply eat less," as if I must be eating too much. My current doctor told me, "Don't try to lose weight. Just be happy you are not gaining."

I take 60 mg Armour Thyroid daily. I average 1200 calories per day, exercise 25-60 minutes per day, and the only way I have found to lose weight is to fast - not eat at all - for 2-3 days. Then I lose 5 pounds, and stay at that new weight for the next 6 months until I decide to fast again.

I need some encouragement... anyone have some good words for me?

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome!
    Sorry you're feeling discouraged. You've come to the right place though! Everyone's in the same boat & those who've learned, share with those who are seeking... I've learned so much here, being new to hypo.
    There are several discussions about what works for us in dieting. One such thread is:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/732537-any-hypo-weight-loss-success-stories

As you will see, there is a lot more to it then just cutting calories. I lost most of my weight on a low carb diet. Then when I hit a plateau I discovered virgin coconut oil & was able to take off the last 10 lbs. Besides low carb, many have gone gluten-free, and there are certain foods we need to avoid, that make it hard on our systems as well.

How much weight do you need to lose? Looks like not that much. And I'm gonna have to quote my hubby when I say "losing 1 lb. @ month is still way better then the other direction" ! You're doing it! No turning back for us... we have to stay the course.

Hope you get lots of help & support.
    Another place to look for tips is stopthethyroidmadness.com
    Blessings,
    Debby
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Hi there i feel your pain. Ive been at it also 2 years and have lost 40lbs.
    If we dont exercise for a week/2 weeks ect weight starts coming back so quickly then it takes weeks to get it back off!

I dont know what kind of lifestyle you live but i find 1200 calories far too low! I tried 1200 for months and lost nothing. Im upped to 1450 and can lose the weight slightly easier, sometimes eating some of my exercise caloires. I work 8ish hour shifts on my feet 5 days a week then maybe 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours exercise 4-5 times a week. Its very slow and frustrating but you'll get there. I'd def try upping your calories though :)
  • aprildiamond42
    aprildiamond42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging replies. Looks like both of you have had success despite the same problems I've been having. I'll try some of the suggestions and let you know. Thank you again.