BBC poll: Rest of world favours Obama

Options
124»

Replies

• adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem, we lead, you follow. It may sound arrogant, but you know what? We earned it. With that out of the way, i could care less what Europe thinks of us.

However, if we reelect this clown, we will soon be the one's following.

You 'earned' it? You lead, we follow? Seriously? Quite apart from the fact that the modern US was essentially built by Europeans, which in my view constitutes both 'doing something' and 'leading', your perspective of the world is absurdly narrow if you truly believe this - though that does seem to be a common perspective among many Americans. My week has turned busy, and I haven't time right now to go into detail - it would take too long. America is undoubtedly a great country. However, may I suggest reading some non-US-centric/published history, or even current commentary. I think you'll find that Europe (in which I include the UK), Russia, Asia, even the Antipodes 'do' quite a bit, and have done for rather a long time.

I'm glad you "could care less" - that implies that you do, in fact, care for Europe's opinion. Under your present administration, that opinion is largely favourable, in the main. Under the currently-proposed alternative, I refer you to my first paragraph.

Please don't think Angryguy77's opinion is typical of all or even most Americans, Castadiva. I find his arrogant, dismissive attitude repulsive.

How exactly did "we" earn it. Nothing makes me laugh harder than a bunch of loud mouth civilians talking about how the world owes us something for what our grandparents did in WW II. We....what a hoot.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem, we lead, you follow. It may sound arrogant, but you know what? We earned it. With that out of the way, i could care less what Europe thinks of us.

However, if we reelect this clown, we will soon be the one's following.

You 'earned' it? You lead, we follow? Seriously? Quite apart from the fact that the modern US was essentially built by Europeans, which in my view constitutes both 'doing something' and 'leading', your perspective of the world is absurdly narrow if you truly believe this - though that does seem to be a common perspective among many Americans. My week has turned busy, and I haven't time right now to go into detail - it would take too long. America is undoubtedly a great country. However, may I suggest reading some non-US-centric/published history, or even current commentary. I think you'll find that Europe (in which I include the UK), Russia, Asia, even the Antipodes 'do' quite a bit, and have done for rather a long time.

I'm glad you "could care less" - that implies that you do, in fact, care for Europe's opinion. Under your present administration, that opinion is largely favourable, in the main. Under the currently-proposed alternative, I refer you to my first paragraph.

Please don't think Angryguy77's opinion is typical of all or even most Americans, Castadiva. I find his arrogant, dismissive attitude repulsive.

How exactly did "we" earn it. Nothing makes me laugh harder than a bunch of loud mouth civilians talking about how the world owes us something for what our grandparents did in WW II. We....what a hoot.

Agreed wholeheartedly.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    But then, I'm also not afraid of the big bad boogey terrorist either... Perhaps if we would quit messing around with those particular countries leaders and borders, then we might not have so many terrorist groups trying to attack us or our people so often. All the problems we have with the African and the Muslim countries stems from when the Western countries started messing with borders and leaders... making grand promises that we (westerners) didn't keep... But then we are good at this imperialism thing though, dontcha think?

I do agree with this.
    I think if everyone stopped poking their noses in and looking at other countries and seeing what they can gain from it the world would be a better place.
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    who really cares what the rest of the world thinks - they aren't the voters. polls mean nothing, you can make the numbers dance any way you want them to
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2012/10/presidential_election_foreigners_understand_that_barack_obama_and_mitt_romney.html

Here's a good reminder that, even if most foreigners say that they prefer Obama over Romney, that doesn't mean that they actually care (which is the assumption the BCC poll makes).
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

American voters favor Obama as well!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    (Most of )The rest of the world is relieved, this morning. :happy:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

And from a purely personal perspective... I certainly breathed a sigh of relief at this news this morning.

I would like to congratulate President Obama for another successful four years in office.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The only thing that makes me happy is the rightwinger Fox News and Talk Radio commentators dial it back a little and talk a little less violence when their guy isn't in office.
  • KimmyEB
    Options

I was suuuuper tired last night, and stayed up as late as I could without passing out, but I woke up around 5:30 this morning just to see who won. I don't even wake up that early for work. I was excited, haha!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't care who won last night... because they really aren't all that different when you get down to it.... But I am disappointed that Johnson couldn't pull at least 5% of the votes.... though 1% is pretty impressive considering he isn't Ralph Nadar or Ross Perot.... But the majority of the people voting yesterday got scared into their vote, in my opinion.... how I came to this opinion, because more often than not I have seen comments that are along the lines of "I would vote for a third party candidate, but this election is SO important (as if we haven't heard that one before) and I have to vote against (candidate x) because if (candidate y) wins then we are all doomed and are going to die (or whatever other scary conclusion that might happen)".... Now I get that there are people that did vote for Romney and Obama because they truly believe in their causes.... but I don't believe that is true for the majority.
  • treetop57
    Options
    I honestly didn't care who won last night... because they really aren't all that different when you get down to it....

I disagree. Since both my partner and I have preexisting conditions, I'm overjoyed that the Affordable Care Act will not be repealed "on day one" of a Romney presidency. My partner and I are both covered by my insurance from work, but if I lost my job I'd have to find another with domestic partner benefits or he'd be screwed until he turns 65 and is eligible for Medicare. Now we'll be able to sigh a breath of relief in January 2014 as we no longer have to worry about losing our insurance and being bankrupted by medical bills. (I actually breathed that sigh last night, since I could pay for a year of COBRA to bridge us over if I did lose my job before 2014.)

Obama's success passing a step toward affordable universal health coverage was enough for him to warrant my vote, especially when the other side was vowing to undo that step. Add in the repeal of "Don't Ask; Don't Tell" and finally "evolving" to the right position on marriage equality, and my enthusiastic support was a no brainer!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Obama's success passing a step toward affordable universal health coverage was enough for him to warrant my vote, especially when the other side was vowing to undo that step. Add in the repeal of "Don't Ask; Don't Tell" and finally "evolving" to the right position on marriage equality, and my enthusiastic support was a no brainer!

Same here. I have a congenital heart defect that was diagnosed about a year and a half ago, and though, thankfully, my insurance did not consider it a pre-existing condition since I had been on the same policy for years, if I had a policy that was new, I might not have been eligible to get the medicine or treatment I needed.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that might make a difference, if insurance companies weren't raising costs still... our premiums AND deductibles are still rising AND they are starting to be more selective as to what you can use it for... at least that's the case with my employer... My prescription costs have risen... yet again. In the course of 8 years, they have tripled to quadrupled in cost... but this is my own personal experience.... and honestly, after how doctors that accept medicare in Ohio are treating my grandparents, I don't have anything nice to say about them or the program as it seems like only mediocre doctors accept medicare. But I digress.

Honestly though, healthcare was way low on my priority list. But then I am also a healthy young person that will be paying for those that use it the most (that isn't me).... For me it was the wars, the devaluation of the dollar, programs that are just a waste of money (read drug war... and no, I don't use drugs, never even so much as smoked a cigarette), and the lack of common sense immigration.
  • treetop57
    Options
    With luck, everyone who is young and healthy will become old and healthy. With no luck, they will be become young and sick or old and sick. With really bad luck, they will become neither young nor old, neither healthy nor sick.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    With luck, everyone who is young and healthy will become old and healthy. With no luck, they will be become young and sick or old and sick. With really bad luck, they will become neither young nor old, neither healthy nor sick.

Well said. A year ago I laughed when my dad said "You better get health insurance asap!" Now (and I'm only 26, and as far as I know, healthy), I find it scary that I don't have health insurance. But I soon will. :smile:
  • Wickedbookworm1977
    Options
    I wouldn't give this any merit. Other countries see Obama as the media portrays him, a celebrity. That is all.

THIS