Mixed Relationships

Options
chemalurgy
chemalurgy Posts: 48 Member
Would you marry or have a relationship with someone who was a devout believer in a religion?

Replies

• MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My BF is strongly Catholic and yes, it does cause tensions. Maybe that's why he's still only a BF!
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As sad as it is: I honestly don't think I could. I don't like people who blindly accept what they are told and I have a hard time believing a real "thinker" would be devoutly religious.

I married a man from a Catholic family, but he was an agnostic and we were married in a Unitarian church with not a word about God in the ceremony.

I am divorced, and am now dating another agnostic / atheist.

I just think it would cause so much tension. Not just the reigion. I could handle that. But the intolerance and other baggage that comes with the "devout" part.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    A casual believer who shares my values, yes. Honestly my moral and political views are more important to me than my beliefs/lack of beliefs, and it's the same for friends or potential relationships.
  • rachaldenise
    rachaldenise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband is a casual Christian. He has expressed a desire to take the kids to church whenever he stops working graveyard shift. I have mixed feelings on it. I mean kids are gonna grow up to be who they're gonna be. Look at me, years and years of church and Sunday school didn't seem to stick so I don't think isolating them from it is going to matter much either. It's not like I plan to hide what I don't believe anyway.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    My husband believes in God in a casual way and it has no effect on our relationship at all. However I really could not be involved with someone who was a fanatical believer.

I do have friends who are Christian and they are lovely people, just quietly get on with their beliefs and are not interested in trying to change mine.
  • JustVegas
    JustVegas Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I was interested in this topic so I figured it's as good a place as any to introduce myself. I'm a 35, married SAHM of three young kids. I've done the up and down thing for a while, that story is in my profile. I'm ready to be done with the games and just live a healthier life.
    I'm an atheist-leaning agnostic married to a liberal (but devout) Christian. The difference is that we were both Christians when we got married. I "deconverted" a few years ago. I don't know if I met someone religious today if it would work out but DH and I are doing good so far. It gets tricky, especially with kids, but we share the same values of equality and love and justice so it works!
  • Skudsister
    Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I, personally, could marry someone with strong religious beliefs. Interestingly though I do have a friend who is a chaplain and who is a very understanding ex-atheist. I guess if I had met someone like him who shared many of my other values (he is an unusual priest, very liberal, and always ready to defend others no matter what their faith) I may have been able to work something out.

Luckily, however, I have a wonderful husband who is a fellow godless heathen! In fact friends with a young baby refer to us as her 'there is no god-parents'...

Jane
  • karenplauze
    karenplauze Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    At 57 I'm too old to waste time with someone my age who still has imaginary friends. I like to think I am relatively intelligent. I would want an intelligent man as a boyfriend. I just cannot deal with the cognitive dissonance that otherwise intelligent people suffer in order to believe all the dogma and other foolishness that comes with religion. When I'm ready to date I will go on OK Cupid. This dating site actually caters to atheists and agnostics.