What's the deal w/all the negativity towards running?

Options
2»

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

My favourite thought on it? (and I'm paraphrasing from a book) Running is not fun. People who say that running is fun are liars. What's fun is the moment you stop running. Tomorrow I'm running 20 k for the heck of it, imagine how amazing it will feel when I get to stop after THAT.

Actually it is fun. I love the feeling of running & knowing I'm not stopping till I'm done. I used to be one of those that would think "how can people find that fun" & yet here I am trying to tell others that it is INDEED fun, from start to finish. I love every step I take. I actually hate when I stop cause it means I've got to the point I can't go on for some reason or another....but not before I hit 10km..... interrupt me or stop me before that & you get one hell of a hard time from me.

It's wonderful running & forgetting about everything.... except Zombies! run. I can zone out & enjoy every single step. I then look forward to that 1st step the following day.

I'm a lot of things...but a liar is not one. Running IS fun, it's exciting & it's addicting.
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    People who say running is bad for you are stupid. Think about any recreational sport. You are far more likely to take out your ankle or knee. Running you just move forward. Even in non contact sports you need to stop and change directions abruptly, risking injury. Just imagine what hockey and football do.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    People who say running is bad for you are stupid. Think about any recreational sport. You are far more likely to take out your ankle or knee. Running you just move forward. Even in non contact sports you need to stop and change directions abruptly, risking injury. Just imagine what hockey and football do.

Too true - I see way more injuries with old timers soccer than in running......(BTW Nice shirt, did your do the 2012 Army Run too?)
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    BTW Nice shirt, did your do the 2012 Army Run too?)

The 2011 was my first half. Such a great race.
    Saw 3 guys running in full gear. So bad *kitten*. Motivated me to push extra hard
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-Wtk8gCayrnlvh_1VLkpIpkbypPlwH1YhqnmfNhnTO34lLS1w
    Regretfully I did not participate in the army 2012 (got lazy, lack of training) I did still cheer for the participants though. Definitely doing next years.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    My favorite is "running causes wrinkles" Really!?!?!?! I always commit "For me, not running causes fat." I would rather be wrinkley than fat. just sayin
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    I get a lot of comments from close family. They really are worried about me. I had a neighbor that worked out obsessively, ignored hip pain, ran in a 10k, came in 2nd in her age group, and wound up with a nasty hip injury / surgery that sidelined her running permanently. She was about my age when it happened.

Truth is running requires a kind of patience and diligence that is very different than other sports. I took it very slow, following a C25K program for 2 months. I read and studied proper form. I listened to my body and took extra rest days when my knee or ankle was a little sore. I heeded advice to focus on form and distance and not "speed". I also opted for minimalist shoes.

Because it is easy to get hurt when learning to run if you aren't smart. I view it as a privilege to be able to learn to do it at 52. I used to think of it as "dessert" - I only got a little. I started biking at about the same time and could bike for 2-3 hours, but only run for 30 minutes. Now I'm up to running 8 miles - a full 6 months after starting. And still taking it very slow.

Unlike other forms of exercise, running is not something you can recommend to everyone. When they caution you, you can't always say they should try it - because you fear that they might get injured. Sort of makes for an awkward moment. But I use my slow deliberate progress and the fact that I haven't gotten hurt as proof that I am not hurting myself with the running.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this at all.... in fact, people have been really encouraging.

Either I'm lucky or you're unlucky :smile:

Ditto. All my friends have been really supportive, and some have also become runners.

DOUBLE DITTO! I think it's time for some new "friends" ... .. .
  • MissXFit13
    MissXFit13 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've had the same experiences. My own family actually discouraged me from completing my first marathon, and while I understand that they were concerned that I would get injured, it would have been more beneficial if they were supportive of me.

One time I was visiting friends, and I decided to wake up before everyone to get in a quick run. My friends wouldn't stop giving me a hard time for running, saying I was crazy and going on and on about how they hate running. Hey, last time I checked, I didn't ask any of them to run with me, and I didn't put any of them down for not enjoying running either.

It's frustrating, but you just have to remember why you run. You're doing it for yourself, not for anyone else. No one else will appreeciate it or understand it like you. It can be such a personal and solitary activity. Just enjoy it and ignore the haters!
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced this at all.... in fact, people have been really encouraging.

Either I'm lucky or you're unlucky :smile:

Ditto. All my friends have been really supportive, and some have also become runners.

DOUBLE DITTO! I think it's time for some new "friends" ... .. .

Same here, my friends and all the people around me have been amazing support that has kept me going (I'm fairly new to running). The only "negativity" that I get is when my boyfriend questions the races that I have signed up for as he doesn't understand why I would pay to complete in them when I can run the same distance on my own for free. He means well, just a bit cheap!
  • SPautler
    SPautler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm always defending myself by either turning down drinking or fast food, especially during a training cycle for a big race. We runners just need to come to terms that not everyone understands our love of running. Non-runners will never experience the "runners high" we all love and reap the benefits running has on our health, our body's and our overall happiness. Next time some one asks you why you run so much, ask them " why don't you run at all".

Long may you run !!!

Steve