well appt with endo dr was a waste of time :(

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
she made excuses for why i feel the way i do, allergies is what makes me tired, and i'm tiny that's why i am cold all the time! can you believe that!!! i told her that i wasn't always small, i gained weight from my thyroid and just finally lost it and back to my normal size..it was a huge struggle to lose it and she then said it is rapid weight loss that also makes people cold. WTF? i didn't lose my weight rapidly? it took a year!!! and that was really persistent trying.....GRRRRR so i hope my blood work shows something or else i am stuck! feeling like **** for the rest of my life i guess. I have felt terrible since age 22 and i will ask for another one if nothing comes back with these tests and see if i get anywhere with a new dr otherwise i guess i am stuck with my family dr...

Replies

• sometimes_blondie
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that. Is there another doctor around for a second opinion? When I was choosing a doctor for my son, before he was born I interviewed the 3 pediatricians at the clinic. They each had their good and bad points and different philosophies. It didn't cost anything, and it really helps to figure out what they might be like when you have an issue. I've been looking up endos by me on the web, and most of them just have a generic bio. I only found one that seemed interest in a more holistic approach and educating his patients. When I went into my GP, I told her everything, weird symptoms I've had since my early 20's, unexplained stuff that previous doctors had just brushed off. She had a student in there (they give you that option and I always agree!) who was asking alot of the questions and I started to get a little irrated with her because when I started to talk about having the blues, she kept trying to hint that it was the stress of being a mom! I had to tell her she wasn't listening and snap her back! I will keep you in my thoughts, I hope you find a better doc!
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cruise the Internet and read patient comments about drs. search up to 50 miles from your house. Also make sure when you have tests ordered ,that they order a full profile
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The test will determine whether or not you need treatment, although it certainly won't insure that you are treated appropriately. If the TSH is over 3, get treated.
  • lin7604
    Options
    my tsh was under 3 the last time once my meds were upped. but i still am FREEZING all the time, have lots of hair loss and brittle peeling nails plus tired still.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're having such a hard time with your doctor. I found a really good Endo but it took a lot of looking and changing of doctors. I suggest you look hard for one that treats your symptoms and listens to you. .

Luck, and keep on keeping on.:drinker:
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Wait and see what your test results show. I have thought I had one problem and insisted to my doctor and she just poo pooed me and tested for something else and low and behold I had a different disease altogether(I also have a thyroid problem). Your doctor should be trying to figure out if you have something else wrong with you as Raynolds disease (spelling?) or????? Think zebra's not horses i.e. search for the less obvious. Good luck.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I would suggest a second opinion as well. My TSH, as of mid-October was 3.25 from 2.7 in July, and my Endo refused to do anything, claiming my levels were normal and ignored all my symptoms. Wrote them all up to stress, even though I wasn't stressed minus my current living conditions. But she wouldn't listen, refused to do anything as my thyroid got worse and my FT3 levels and TSH levels got worse with each blood test. I saw my GP, he's extremely worried, and I'm going to a new Endo the end of November.

I researched my old and saw this was a regular thing for her. I saw someone said she gave "half diagnoses and no treatments" which is exactly what she did to me. I could always get into her office that day because she was so open. My new has her soonest Nov. 29th and raving reviews. Some Endo's just suck, simply put. Try another and best of luck!!
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Many people will struggle with their symptoms being blown off. The endo I had for a while did too.

But I moved last fall and I needed all new docs. I seen a physicians assistant for the main stuff and he seen I was "subclinical" on the thyroid. (My TSH was in the 5's)

I told him previous docs were happy to ignore it. He said there are two schools of thought on that....and he wrote a script for synthroid. I had given up getting help and I never expected to find it from a PA working in family medicine. I had thought it would take some rare jewel of an endo.
  • lin7604
    Options
    thx everyone i hope to her back next week about my blood work and if not i will call them by friday to see. I don't like that my symptoms were brushed off and that excuses were made.. " your tiny and that's why your cold? WTF? i'm not that tiny.... and then well rapid weight loss will also make you cold? it took me over a year to lose 20 lbs that's not rapid???? and it's my allergies that are making me tired??? REALLY? if my blood comes back fine then i am goign to ask my dr in my appt in Jan to send me to a different one for a second opinion and then take it from there.... i've been feeling crummy since my early 20's and i am mid 30\s now, i just keep wasting precious time waiting for dr appts and test results, only to have to wait again for another dr and thier tests, etc
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Your endo sounds like mine; if you're from So Cal she could be the same one. Mine said "Buy a heater" when I mentioned I was cold all the time. When I complained about weight loss being almost impossible, she bragged about her black belt in TKD. Luckily I don't need to see her right now since I've improved quite a bit. I checked out Wilson's Temperature Syndrome online & started using his thyroid support supplements. I don't take them very often anymore, but they must have kick-started something.

Best wishes, I feel for ya...thyroid disease is not fun.
  • lin7604
    Options
    http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/46555/Dr-Cindy-Richardson-Winnipeg-MB.html

check that out!11 this was my dr's reviews.... i am asking for a new one 100%
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    That's terrible!! It seems she is one of those that dismisses any and all thyroid problems. Definitely get another, it seems I would even venture to call your old Endo a doctor at all
  • lin7604
    Options
    well i got a letter in the mail todya with my results and all was good, it said my levels are on the high end of normal and all other lab results were fine.....
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Time to go hunting for a Dr who treats symptoms! :flowerforyou:
  • lin7604
    Options
    yup i agree!!!
  • NursRatchett
    NursRatchett Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I really wonder if most endocrinologists focus more on diabetes and slept through the classes on thyroid issues. The problem is, they look at things in a black and white way. There is no black and white answers to thyroid issues. Each person is different.

I feel your pain. I have the cold, brittle nails, losing hair from eyebrows and eyelashes, fatigue, muscle aches, etc. It's amazing how one thing such as a hormone can cause such issues.

:frown:
  • yayagaga
    Options
    You might post your test results here or on healthboards.com just to get some advice. Just because your result falls inside of those "reference ranges" does not mean that you don't have a thyroid issue going on. In short, the ranges are old and outdated and most people only feel good with a TSH of around or under 1. Also your t3 and t4 should fall mid-range to be optimal. Anything outside of those parameters but still inside the "range" could still need treatment.
  • lin7604
    Options
    i had blood work in march and my tsh was 2.9 i felt lousy, then in sept it was 1.1 and i felt so much better, so if already in oct my tsh has gone to upper or normal ,it has moved quickly... why going up so fast since sept?
  • lin7604
    Options
    well called today and they said my tsh was .48 and she didn't check my t3 or t4... so that is the lowest my tsh had ever been....
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are having such a tough time. The best thing I ever did was to find a doctor that treats my symptoms. I remember crying after my first visit with him because he actually listened to me, had a plan of what we were going to do and gave me a list of resources to read so I could learn all I could about being hypo. There are some wonderful doctors out there. It's just a matter of finding the right one. I'd fire the doctor you've got and find someone else.