New Here and need some help???

Options
Hi All. I'll give you a bit of back-story here so you know where I'm coming from... this past summer I had a very serious shoulder surgery and have been sedentary for 3 months. In those 3 months I gained 15+ pounds (I'm afraid to hop on the scale) strictly from being on my butt all day and eating comfort foods- I know I've gained inches too, seeing as none of my work pants fit from 3 months ago.

I'm still recovering but I have been cleared for work (a desk job) and moderate exercise. I'm struggling because I use to do crossfit before the surgery and I'm not cleared to go back to that (for at least a year). I found the EMWL group in hopes of relearning how to eat well and take better care of myself... but I'm not sure if I have it all down and I'm looking for a bit of help....

Scooby said that these are my numbers with my current desk job and no exercise:
BMR: 1523
TDEE: 1828
TDEE -15%: 1553

BUT- I plan on re-starting at my gym next week and working out for 45min to an hour 5x a week so here are those numbers:
BMR: 1523
TDEE: 2361
TDEE -15%: 2007

So my question is... I should be eating my TDEE -15% everyday including my rest days? Or do I eat my BMR on rest days?

And can any recommend me some HIIT exercises that don't severely affect my right shoulder? I'm not a fan of running and would hate to just be limited to that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really get miserable on low-cal diets and I don't want to starve myself just to get back to my previous size!

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

Yes, you eat your TDEE -15% cut EVERY day, yep this includes rest days as it is taken as an average burn across the week. However, if you have particularly high burns on one day due to an extended workout or something and your NET for that day falls below your BMR, even after you've eaten your total cut allowance, eat a bit more to make sure your NET value is always above your BMR.

As for HIIT, you can pretty much do it on any machine, i.e. treadmill, elliptical, bike, etc. You just need to find which one is not going to affect your shoulder too much.
  • chubbybunnybegone
    Options
    Hi there.

Yes, you eat your TDEE -15% cut EVERY day, yep this includes rest days as it is taken as an average burn across the week. However, if you have particularly high burns on one day due to an extended workout or something and your NET for that day falls below your BMR, even after you've eaten your total cut allowance, eat a bit more to make sure your NET value is always above your BMR.

As for HIIT, you can pretty much do it on any machine, i.e. treadmill, elliptical, bike, etc. You just need to find which one is not going to affect your shoulder too much.

Ok, just one more thing then.... in MFP I should put my daily caloric need at 2000 when I begin my work out regiment? I already have my macros set to 40/30/30 but right now (as I'm sedentary) the calories are set to 1550.