Thursdays Challenge

Options
Today is "self-talk" Thursday! So many times we get caught up in our own negative self talk and give up as a result. Today I'd like everyone to share some positive things about yourself. What are you doing well? It's easy to find our areas of struggle, but today we're focusing on our victories!!!

I'm sorry if this is too "touchy-feely" for some of you. The battle to better health isn't just physical for me, it's a mental one as well. We have to be our own biggest fan! :-)

Replies

• Annaminus20
    Options
    Ok I'll bite ;)

Since I've committed to losing the extra weight and it has actually been paying off (ie last Monday I first started losing weight and have lost 4 lbs since) I have been a happier person. My team at work has noticed that I come in every morning with a smile on my face and continue like that all day. Even though its been crazy busy the whole week. And maybe its a mindf**ck but I truly feel that I've lost those 4 lbs. I really feel skinnier (ok I'll never be skinny but you get my drift).

Although I still have a way to go I'm proud of myself at this stage. And of you guys of course :)
  • nre820
    nre820 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! I know I have been down on myself lately because I haven't been doing very well with scheduling my workouts/haven't been getting my butt out the door to run... so I need a pep talk today!

For me, I am amazed at what my body can do. I can run ten miles and then go for a walk with a friend, I can still function even though I dont' get enough sleep and my body can still go, even when my brain is saying no. When I push myself really hard and then go out for a run the next day, I can still push myself even though my legs are burning. Although I weigh more than I'd like, I know I am still healthy. And I am so fortunate for this, because there are so many that aren't.

I am also extremely blessed to have blog readers/friends who keep me motivated and some who even tell me that they have started running because of my journey. I can't even begin to describe what a wonderful feeling it is to know that I helped someone start their own journey to a goal.

So, yeah... even though I beat myself up sometimes about not getting a run in or not getting to the gym, I'd say I am pretty blessed.
  • Frogger0828
    Options
    This is a fantastic challenge and the area I struggle the most with.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    When I start getting down on myself, I just remind myself that I have come a LONG LONG way. I have changed twenty years of bad eating habits. I have changed 20 years of bad/no exercise habits. I am 80% done and I have 20% to go. Yes, that last 15 lbs is taking me a LOT longer than I wanted, but it will happen.

Other: I am in a single digit size. The last time I can say that, I was a 10th grader.
  • xsabrinalynn
    xsabrinalynn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Since I started my weight-loss/get healthy journey, I have not had ONE "regular" soda (I';m guilty of a diet Dr. Pepper here & there) since March 24th, 2012!! BIG BIG BIG deal for me since I used to drink 3 large McDonald's cokes a day. Also, when I'm having a "I feel so fat" day, I remind myself I've lost 21 lbs and I don't feel so bad anymore :)
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Great challenge idea! This is definitely something I struggle with, as well, so I will work on not saying anything negative about myself today. :)
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am one that has a short fuse (I know that's a bad thing) but since I have started exercising reguarly and eating healthy I feel more laid back. I also find that I don't dewell on everything which helps with my stress. I even feel more caring towards people (which is not something I will be telling the guys I work with..lol). I fell like I have changed so much and for the better. My family has been thru alot in the last few years...we lost my husband's uncle who was also his business partner, my parents decided to disown me (still trying to figure that one out) which lead to finding out my sister had moved back home and was prego a month before she was due and is now engaged and moved back out of state (so I have missed out alot with my family). Before I would have set and dewelled on all this bad stuff got my self so upset that I would have cleaned the kitchen out and gotten into a fight with my hubby for no reason then gotten mad at my son for something stupid. But now I feel more clear and calm! And need no meds to do it!!
  • halffullpgh
    halffullpgh Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It is so easy to be a negative nancy about body image. I have been really down on myself because I haven't lost a single pound and I have counted calories and going to the gym at least 4 days a week, but then I took my measurements again and am down 1 inch on my waist and hips. WHOOOOHOOOOO! I still have a long way to go, but I will get there. My doc gave me some more info yesterday about BMI (like I haven't heard it a thousand times) and I am eagerly ready for change.
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's been a tough few weeks for me professionally - lots of work, rejection, more work, feeling like I'm not getting anywhere, etc. But I have managed to stick with the weight loss plan and do some challenges and it's already starting to show. It's nice to know that, at a time when I feel like I'm not getting anything right at work, I am getting something right in life. I still have a long way to go in both areas, and my professional challenges will eventually be solved, but my first few little steps are getting me there.
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge. I believe life is all about perception, and how we perceive ourselves makes such a different in our lives. Yesterday I celebrated one month of being a vegetarian. This is a big deal for me because I used to drive past McDonalds and get two hamburgers, medium fry, kids diet coke and a chocolate milkshake. I was the Chicken Sandwich Queen and my husband and I were eating out and eating greasy food two or three times a week. Fast Food Junkies to the core! Becoming a vegetarian has helped me kick the fast food habit -- I can't remember the last time I ate fast food. It's allowed me to honor God's creations, not eat them. I know it's not for everyone, but it's so for me -- and a month of being vegetarian FLEW by! I don't have cravings for fast food anymore, and we eat out one or two times a week -- and half the time I order a grilled cheese off the kids' menu. :)

I'm proud of myself because I am determined. When I order a meal, I don't feel obligated to eat the whole thing (I used to eat the whole thing, plus sometimes get dessert). I do recognize that I could easily fall back into the routine, but MFP -- this group -- and my MFP friends has really helped and keeps me encouraged. I STILL have Halloween candy sitting right infront of me at school, and I haven't touched it for about a week. (At home, that's another story, Peanut M&Ms... yum!)

For those of you who feel like you have a long way to go, know that you CAN do this and it takes one choice, one step, one day at a time. I am constantly having to keep myself in check and I have accepted this as a lifestyle change, not just a diet. I will never forget that someone posted "I know for me this is a way of life -- I will probably count calories for the rest of my life." Accepting that has been HUGE for me, because I have failed at many, many, MANY diet tries -- but knowing this isn't a diet but a lifestyle makes all the difference.

I'm also proud of myself because I'm human and when I slip-up and go over my calories, I start again and don't give up on myself. I have a long way to go, but I'm starting to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    well, i am so proud that a recent doctors visit revealed i do not have any traits that is common in overweight individuals (ie HBP, Diabetes, High Chol.) especially since it runs in my family. I do attribute that to knowing what foods to eat and to keep active, although i wasnt 100% in at the time. So although i didnt have anything, i am still at risk cause of my weight. Well, now im totally committed because i definitely want to be promoted from "health risk" to "HEALTHY". and in the spirit of the Thanksgiving holiday coming up...and am very thankful of all my new friends from MFP. i never really knew how beneficial and motivational this support system really is! just by seeing everyone working towards a common goal is inspiring!
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    o yea!! and my pants seem a little more loose and im down to the last notch in my belt. i might needs to go clothes shopping soon! *FIST PUMP*
  • stephyw2001
    stephyw2001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Crooky21, I am able to use the last notch on my belt now, that's two notches lost! I am personally quite happy with this. My worst weight was 194, and last time I weighed myself was yesterday, and I was at 178.2. I had hoped to weight 177 by the 14th of November, so I think I will definitlely hit my short-goal by then. I have been going dancing at swing night, and am happy that guys actually ask me to dance! Its such fun and a great pick me up. I've always been an optimistic and happy person, but seeing that I'm finally starting to lose weight is really helping. I"d love to get back down to high school weight, but that is a long journey ahead! :-) We can do it guys! Keep it up!
  • MonyBonita
    Options
    I love this topic! I was kicking myself in butt for falling off the wagon and gaining back some weight but I decided to stop focusing on that and getting myself up and back on track! That is huge victory for me!

In the past I would have given up and went back to my old habbits. This is the longest I've ever stuck to weight loss program and it's paying off. Yes I've gotten off course a bit, but I refuse to go back to not caring.

My cloths are fitting bigger, I went from a size 30 jean to a 26! I like the "me" that I am now and everyone has commented on how my attitude has changed as well. Now when my husband gives me a compliment I don't question him or ask him if he needs to get his eyes checked. I still see a "big" girl when I look in the mirror and that something I'm still struggling with, but I am starting to notice that this "big" girl is starting to shrink.

I look forward to meeting new buddies here that have the same positive goals, I agree with me it's not just the physical part, I need to give myself the occational little pep talk to get me going. Feel free to add me as a friend =)
    Mona
  • emailcrystalo
    emailcrystalo Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am a very positive person by nature, and I'm very thankful for that...however, generally, if there's negativity coming out of me, it's directed at me! (unless my husband sticks his smelly feet in my face! HA!)

I am a very dedicated person and have the ability to make a plan and stick to it. I (usually) don't let minor set backs get in my way of success. I have been on this weight loss journey before (thanks to having kids) and know that I can do it! It helps remembering my previous journey and also being able to reflect on how it felt to put those 4/6's on comfortably! :-) I am most "proud" of myself when I push through a tough workout. And while the person in the mirror is someone I hope to never see again...at this size...I think she's pretty cool, a whole love of fun and a super cheerleader!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am one pound away from a healthy BMI. Barring illnesses, I have made an effort to get to the gym 2 or 3 times during the week because I know it isn't only good for the weight loss but also makes me a happier person.
  • lisadekk
    lisadekk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is a difficult but great challenge for me because I am very hard on myself.
    What I have accomplished so far is a 7lb loss and I have been working out 5 days a week for 45-60 min. I am feeling myself getting stronger with each workout. I "feel" thinner today (I have to start measuring so I can see progress besides the scale) I have cut out most bad sugar foods/treats and mindless eating.
    I am beautiful - inside and out!
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    This is probably the toughest challenge thus far but I'm always up for a good challenge. I'm generally a positive person and like to see the best in situations and people unless it pertains to myself. I'm proud of myself for juggling being a single mom and making every attempt at a healthy lifestyle. This also gives me the opportunity to cook for my kids more and set a good example for them. I'm also proud that I didn't eat myself into a coma after my brother (also my best friend) moved out of state to live with my parents. I know that each day is a new opportunity to give this new life my all. Some days will be better than others but I need to abandon the all-or-nothing mentality and just give it my best.
  • nursy14
    nursy14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    this is a great challenge we all need this !!!
  • nursy14
    nursy14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    hang in there dont give up !!!:smile: