For the men...

Options
2»

Replies

• flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Ack, I'm an as$hat! I totally blanked on the "for men" part. Sorry, I wasn't trying to party crash.
    How rude of you! :laugh:
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    For me it is a mix of things.

* Too Independent - never had a long term relationship over like 6 months, moved away from family and have just grown up doing everything for myself. While I love having a woman around, it can be hard sometimes finding time to integrate them into my life. Happened once, but then she left.

* Body Image/Self Esteem issues - I have never liked who I was (weight wise), and thus never had a very high self esteem. This in turn doesn't give me the confidence that I think I need to approach women. (Always in my mind asking why the hell would they choose me anyways over someone else? There are better options than me out there.) So that is probably a huge one for me, which is why I have found a bit of success on online dating where it can all just be out there.

* Love language - I am very physical and when I show my affection is through touch (my primary love language). Words of affirmation (my lowest love language) are hard for me b/c I find that words are cheap, and can easily have no meaning behind them. Been told by my ex's that they always wondered if I cared, as I never told them I did. I misinterpreted my hand holding, massages, dedicated time together, etc as expressing these feelings for them.

So yeah, those are my heavy hitters that I believe keep me single, or at least keep throwing me back into that singles pool.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a bit of an introvert, I have a general "I don't give a crap" attitude, and I have intimacy issues. Luckily my current GF seems to be cool with all of this.
  • CassiusKnox
    CassiusKnox Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Honestly? It's just too soon.

I've been married twice. The first time for 10 years, the second time for 9. I just go separated a year and a half ago, and the divorce has been final just a little over a year.

This last one was really painful and hard for me. The marriage was so difficult and took so much out of me that my taste for being with someone, in ANY sort of a relationship, has been spoiled (hopefully temporarily).

I didn't want to be that guy that had been divorced twice before they were 45, so I gave everything I had into making that relationship work, and more. More than I should have. I probably should have ended it only a couple of years into it but I refused to give up. When I finally did give up I realized just how disgusted and frustrated I was with the whole thing.

So... right now is literally the first time as an adult I'm taking major time for me, figuring my stuff out, focusing on being set up and successful and happy on my own. I still see people once in a while but I also know that I'm ridiculously emotionally unavailable at the moment, and probably will be for at least another few years.

Long story short...

I'm single by choice, because I wouldn't do myself (or anyone else) any favors by entering into any sort of relationship right now.

^^^^ THIS.

I could have written this except my marriage was 16 years and my 2nd relationship (we never got married) was 7 years.

Both women I loved completely. First one cheated on me. Second one was pathologically selfish, self centered and unable to consider MY feelings in ANYTHING. It just took me a loooong time to see it because I so wanted it to work.

Why am I single??? Ha!!!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Awww....I'm with Smallerbridesmaid on this one. I wish I could give you all a hug. Or buy you a beer. :drinker:

It's always nice to see that you guys aren't so much different than us ladies.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    My life is going through a lot of changes right now, and for what ever reason I haven't met any women in my area that I'm interested in.
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give you all a hug. Or buy you a beer. :drinker:

Hey, I'll take either. Or both.
  • baraccus
    baraccus Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been a big guy my entire life so I've always had the mentality that I'm not good enough for certain women. And then typically when I would try and get close to anybody I found myself(likely put myself) in the friend zone.

Since I've been losing weight I'll admit I have a lot more confidence and find myself actually messaging people on dating sites and getting to know them. I've also been driving myself to get out of the house more and have a good time, not only does it make the day go by quick but I always end up enjoying myself (even if I don't think I will at first).

Silly as it sounds, I'm still growing up (finishing up school, advancing my career, and looking to buy a house) It'll all come with time :)
  • baxyboy
    baxyboy Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Honest answer - a string of things really...

The way things ended with my ex at uni pretty much destroyed what little self-confidence I had, especially as I had already started to put on weight having stopped playing so much football (soccer) but kept eating.
    By the time I got back into a place where I was over her and what happened, I had piled on loads more weight and generally felt like I hated who I saw in the mirror... which was what pushed me into joining this site and losing all the weight I have (and why I want to lose more).

Having lost (a lot of) the weight I have I'm slowly starting to feel a little better about myself and how I look... although I suffer from anxiety attacks (not relating to my image) which makes it difficult for me to go places.
    Because of that now I can't see the point in trying to be with anyone (much though I would love to), as she would just get bored and leave.

I've been single so long now and with all the stuff above - these days whenever I see someone nice or a friend/family member suggests I talk to a woman, I straight away dismiss the idea - she could do better than me... why would I do that to her?

Short version; I'm a mess - dying alone (probably surrounded by cats and/or stacks of movies and computer games lol)
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hugs and beer all around!!
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Hugs and beer all around!!

Here, here. I'll agree to that!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    hmmmm... I think I'm single because I'm not trying that hard to find a relationship and i'm doing the online dating which requires a lot of work. When I go out, it's usually at loud places and usually not the place for meeting people I would want to date.

J