Surgery Veterans: I have questions!

Options
I have been scheduled to have my Gastric Bypass surgery on November 29th, and I am getting rather nervous as I have been unable to start my liquid diet because I need solids in my stomach for the pain medicine I am taking for cysts. I am supposed to be having my gallbladder removed as well during the surgery and I have no idea what I am in for.

My doctor set a weight loss goal of 20-25 pounds before surgery but I have only lost 15, will this keep him from performing surgery?
Did any of you not get in the entire two-four week liquid diet before surgery? What were the repercussions?
What kind of recovery am I looking at? ( I have a 4 month old to care for)
How long were you on liquids post surgery?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance for your comments!

Replies

• cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    One word for you
    relax! Do the best you can with the liquid diet. Keep it as much liquid as you can but if you have to have solid food in your stomach to take meds then by all means eat something solid. Of course that doesn't mean eat a seven course meal with desert or a whopper sandwich but have something reasonable, crackers and cheese, half a peanut butter sandwich. I would however suggest you contact the dr who prescribed the pain meds and see if you can get something different for after surgery because for a time you will be unable to eat solids.

You say you've only lost 15 pounds and the dr wants to see at least 20. I suspect in the 19 days you have until surgery, you may lose that 5 pounds and maybe some more so again....relax. The surgeon will not cancel because you didn't meet his goal.

Each surgery clinic is different regarding the pre-op time for liquids. Some tell you a full two weeks, some are only 3 days. Again do your best to follow your specific doctor's requirements. Most post-op is more consistent since it's based on allowing time for your body to heal. Most times it's up to 2 weeks of liquids followed by a week or more of mushies followed by a week of soft foods Your clinic should be giving you their specific requirements. Don't rush the post-op eating. You body needs adequate time to heal. As far as post-op recovery, you will want some help with your son since you will have lifting restrictions. I think mine was nothing over 10 pounds for the first 4 weeks after surgery. Again, your clinic should be giving you those answers.

If you clinic is not answering all of your questions to your satisfaction, you need to press harder. These are all very common concerns that are normally discussed pre-op.

Good luck!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have been scheduled to have my Gastric Bypass surgery on November 29th, and I am getting rather nervous as I have been unable to start my liquid diet because I need solids in my stomach for the pain medicine I am taking for cysts. I am supposed to be having my gallbladder removed as well during the surgery and I have no idea what I am in for.

My doctor set a weight loss goal of 20-25 pounds before surgery but I have only lost 15, will this keep him from performing surgery?
    Did any of you not get in the entire two-four week liquid diet before surgery? What were the repercussions?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance for your comments!

I only had to do a week of protein shakes 3 x a day with 5 oz meat and some veggies for dinner. My surgery went well. I had my gall bladder removed three years ago and I can't imagine doing both at the same time. The gall bladder surgery was the most painful thing I ever had--and I have now had 7 surgeries: 3 c sections, a hysterectomy, gall bladder removal, kidney cysts removed, and the gastric bypass.
    Good luck with your surgery. Do your best with what they tell you and it will all go well!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    One word for you
    relax! Do the best you can with the liquid diet. Keep it as much liquid as you can but if you have to have solid food in your stomach to take meds then by all means eat something solid. Of course that doesn't mean eat a seven course meal with desert or a whopper sandwich but have something reasonable, crackers and cheese, half a peanut butter sandwich. I would however suggest you contact the dr who prescribed the pain meds and see if you can get something different for after surgery because for a time you will be unable to eat solids.

You say you've only lost 15 pounds and the dr wants to see at least 20. I suspect in the 19 days you have until surgery, you may lose that 5 pounds and maybe some more so again....relax. The surgeon will not cancel because you didn't meet his goal.

Each surgery clinic is different regarding the pre-op time for liquids. Some tell you a full two weeks, some are only 3 days. Again do your best to follow your specific doctor's requirements. Most post-op is more consistent since it's based on allowing time for your body to heal. Most times it's up to 2 weeks of liquids followed by a week or more of mushies followed by a week of soft foods Your clinic should be giving you their specific requirements. Don't rush the post-op eating. You body needs adequate time to heal. As far as post-op recovery, you will want some help with your son since you will have lifting restrictions. I think mine was nothing over 10 pounds for the first 4 weeks after surgery. Again, your clinic should be giving you those answers.

If you clinic is not answering all of your questions to your satisfaction, you need to press harder. These are all very common concerns that are normally discussed pre-op.

Good luck!

Well it is a relief to hear that a cracker with my pills would probably be acceptable, thanks for the advice, I guess I do stress a lot. I am in no hurry to get off of the liquid diet, I know that pushing the healing process of the new pouch is not only risky but it would ruin the entire point of everything this surgery stands for. My facility is actually very good about answering all of my questions, but like any other office it is difficult to get a hold of them in the evenings and on weekends... which is when all of the worries pop into my head naturally. Thanks again for the help, I do enjoy getting to speak to veterans. Did you have any complications?
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options

I only had to do a week of protein shakes 3 x a day with 5 oz meat and some veggies for dinner. My surgery went well. I had my gall bladder removed three years ago and I can't imagine doing both at the same time. The gall bladder surgery was the most painful thing I ever had--and I have now had 7 surgeries: 3 c sections, a hysterectomy, gall bladder removal, kidney cysts removed, and the gastric bypass.
    Good luck with your surgery. Do your best with what they tell you and it will all go well!

Yikes! I wasn't warned that the gallbladder surgery would be such a pain... I had a c-section in July and I was told the Bariatric Surgery would be easier to recover from than the c-section was, but I never asked about the gallbladder. I decided to combine the two for financial reasons, plus my husband is the only one that can help me with the baby and for him to get time off is very difficult especially since he had to take so much when my son was born. But I thank you for your honesty, I didn't imagine the surgery could hurt more than the attacks the gallbladder has been giving me.
  • sgmcat
    sgmcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My pre-op only called for two meal replacement shakes and solids for dinner. Lean meat, 1 cup green veggie, 1 cup of fruit. No bananas no bread, no pasta, no rice. I worked well. I lost 21 lbs. but I only had to do two weeks pre op.:smile:
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    My pre-op only called for two meal replacement shakes and solids for dinner. Lean meat, 1 cup green veggie, 1 cup of fruit. No bananas no bread, no pasta, no rice. I worked well. I lost 21 lbs. but I only had to do two weeks pre op.:smile:

My facility's step 3 diet 4 weeks before surgery is 8 ounces of protein shakes 3 times a day for meals and 4 ounces 3 times a day for snacks... full on liquid. At first they said I needed to be on the liquid diet for 4 weeks since my BMI was over 50 but now that I got my BMI under 50 I am wondering if I will only have to do it 2 weeks... I dont have 4 at my disposal anyway. When did you have your surgery?
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    These really seem like things you should have talked to surgeon about by now. I can mean the difference between a laproscopic procedure and being opened up on the table. It can also be very dangerous to have food within the 24 hours prior to surgery as they need that puppy to be empty before they cut on it. I know that post surgery they gave me liquid pain killers, I can't remember if it was liquid loratab or oxi but it did not need to be taken with food, you may talk to your prescribing doctor or the surgeon about getting this now so you don't have to worry about sabotaging your surgery. Regarding the weight loss, I wouldn't sweat the last 5 pounds because it's pretty common to lose as much as a pound a day on the liquid diet.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    These really seem like things you should have talked to surgeon about by now. I can mean the difference between a laproscopic procedure and being opened up on the table. It can also be very dangerous to have food within the 24 hours prior to surgery as they need that puppy to be empty before they cut on it. I know that post surgery they gave me liquid pain killers, I can't remember if it was liquid loratab or oxi but it did not need to be taken with food, you may talk to your prescribing doctor or the surgeon about getting this now so you don't have to worry about sabotaging your surgery. Regarding the weight loss, I wouldn't sweat the last 5 pounds because it's pretty common to lose as much as a pound a day on the liquid diet.

Absolutely, what minkaross said. While there is a lot of variation in presurgery diets and weightloss, you absolutely, positively cannot eat anything postop, it will be all liquid for a while. If for any reason you might not be able to do that, you must talk to your doctors now. It's not about the amount of weight you have lost at all, but what is significant is your ability or willingness to follow their guidelines. If you don't you will have a lot of problems. The best time to figure that out is before they open you up. Please, go talk to them.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options

I meet with my surgeon the 21st, the gallbladder problem just arose so we havent had the opportunity to go over it yet. I wasn't aware they had liquid painkillers, I will have to look into it, thanks. Though I am optimistic these cysts will clear up before the surgery so that I wont have to be taking the painkillers anymore. I had my doctor switch me from oxy to vicodin so that my tummy wont be upset with me if I dont eat as I will be starting liquid diet today.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options

Absolutely, what minkaross said. While there is a lot of variation in presurgery diets and weightloss, you absolutely, positively cannot eat anything postop, it will be all liquid for a while. If for any reason you might not be able to do that, you must talk to your doctors now. It's not about the amount of weight you have lost at all, but what is significant is your ability or willingness to follow their guidelines. If you don't you will have a lot of problems. The best time to figure that out is before they open you up. Please, go talk to them.

Oh I assure you I have no qualms about the post surgery liquid diet, nor the pre-op one, I am extremely dedicated to this change and I have come a long way to get here... The only issue remains how sick I feel when I take the pain meds without food and how much pain I feel when I dont take them. I am doing everything in my power now to be rid of these cysts before surgery so that I can get off of the pain meds. I will be sucking it up and doing all liquid diet along with my pain meds for the cysts, I suppose it shouldnt matter how sick it makes me.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know you asked for post op opinions and I am a couple of months out from having my surgery, but I did have a thought on this I wanted to share with you to consider. Does the doc who prescribed you the cyst med know you are having this surgery? Can something else be prescribed for post op. Sounds like best option would be a liquid med. My surgeons office and my PCP advised me that my PCP will be the one to complete post op blood work and make any necessary medication/vitamin alternations. I already have an appt with my PCP for next month to make all the pre-op med adjustments I need. I think you are only a couple of weeks out from surgery so I would get this resolved pretty quickly. Hope all goes well for you.
  • Wellypeep
    Options
    Hello

I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago and it was actually pretty okay, even though I had some complications due to it being very infected. I was only in 2 nights and the pain was manageable. I wasn't even taking any painkillers after a week.

I had my gastric sleeve 4 1/2 weeks ago and that was also pretty okay. Rough first night with a bit of a temperature and vomiting but after that, it has been text book all the way. I haven't been on any pain meds for over 3 weeks now and feel good.

I think having the two procedures together might mean that you feel a bit worse but try to remember that this very uncomfortable phase does pass relatively quickly and you will soon be feeling much better. You're right - the gall bladder attacks are hell on earth and I didn't think the op was as bad as they were.

At my hospital, I didn't have to do a liquid diet before my operation at all. I don't know whether this was due to losing over 50lbs beforehand anyway? I was advised to stick religiously to a low carb diet which I did in the weeks before and following surgery, I have stuck 100% to the plan I was given and - touch wood - have had no problems at all.

Good luck with it all!!
  • annwyatt69
    Options

I was fortunate to have a pain pump when I left the hospital--it was good for 7 days, then I removed it myself by pulling a thin tube out of my abdominal region. I did have liquid Hydrocodone for pain and liquid Promethazine for nausea. Never needed either. My BMI was only in the low 30's before surgery, which was probably why I only needed to do a week of semi liquid. The clear liquid diet after was very easy, and I had worked with my dietitian, surgeon, and endocrinologist for a year prior to my surgery, so I was well prepared. I lost 13 pounds the week before my surgery.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    I know you asked for post op opinions and I am a couple of months out from having my surgery, but I did have a thought on this I wanted to share with you to consider. Does the doc who prescribed you the cyst med know you are having this surgery? Can something else be prescribed for post op. Sounds like best option would be a liquid med. My surgeons office and my PCP advised me that my PCP will be the one to complete post op blood work and make any necessary medication/vitamin alternations. I already have an appt with my PCP for next month to make all the pre-op med adjustments I need. I think you are only a couple of weeks out from surgery so I would get this resolved pretty quickly. Hope all goes well for you.

The doctor who prescribed me is aware of my surgery.. I told her that instead of the oxy to prescribe me Vicodin since it doesnt hurt mu tummy as much, today is the first day trying it out, no problems so far so its looking good, thank you for your response
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Hello

I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago and it was actually pretty okay, even though I had some complications due to it being very infected. I was only in 2 nights and the pain was manageable. I wasn't even taking any painkillers after a week.

I had my gastric sleeve 4 1/2 weeks ago and that was also pretty okay. Rough first night with a bit of a temperature and vomiting but after that, it has been text book all the way. I haven't been on any pain meds for over 3 weeks now and feel good.

I think having the two procedures together might mean that you feel a bit worse but try to remember that this very uncomfortable phase does pass relatively quickly and you will soon be feeling much better. You're right - the gall bladder attacks are hell on earth and I didn't think the op was as bad as they were.

At my hospital, I didn't have to do a liquid diet before my operation at all. I don't know whether this was due to losing over 50lbs beforehand anyway? I was advised to stick religiously to a low carb diet which I did in the weeks before and following surgery, I have stuck 100% to the plan I was given and - touch wood - have had no problems at all.

Good luck with it all!!

I am so glad to hear that you have not had any serious complications. I am prepared to be uncomfortable since I am getting the 2 for 1, but thanks for the reassurance, you are right, it is a small price to pay for the positive change this all will have on my life. Congratulations on your weightloss
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options

I was fortunate to have a pain pump when I left the hospital--it was good for 7 days, then I removed it myself by pulling a thin tube out of my abdominal region. I did have liquid Hydrocodone for pain and liquid Promethazine for nausea. Never needed either. My BMI was only in the low 30's before surgery, which was probably why I only needed to do a week of semi liquid. The clear liquid diet after was very easy, and I had worked with my dietitian, surgeon, and endocrinologist for a year prior to my surgery, so I was well prepared. I lost 13 pounds the week before my surgery.

I hadn't heard of doctors allowing you to take a pain pump home with you unless you had a nurse, thank goodness you had that. My BMI before I started was 51.5 and I am now down to a 49.0 as I have lost over 15 pounds. I have been involved with the surgical group for over 5 years now so I always tell the doctors I could almost perform the surgery myself LOL I love meeting with my dietitian she is always such a help to me. I didn't know that surgery was approved for people under 40 BMI were you a self pay?
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The reason for the 20 pound weight loss before surgery was for the insurance to pay for the surgery. I know that was my case. I had the RNY bypass and also the gall bladder removal, both laproscopic and was prepared for a horrible time of it. I had made arrangements to stay with a friend so she could take care of me, but I was so good that I only stayed at her house 1 day. I had been planning on staying 2 weeks. Everyone is different so don't worry about it. It will be alright and you will be fine. I ma adding you as a friend so we can keep in touch.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    The reason for the 20 pound weight loss before surgery was for the insurance to pay for the surgery. I know that was my case. I had the RNY bypass and also the gall bladder removal, both laproscopic and was prepared for a horrible time of it. I had made arrangements to stay with a friend so she could take care of me, but I was so good that I only stayed at her house 1 day. I had been planning on staying 2 weeks. Everyone is different so don't worry about it. It will be alright and you will be fine. I ma adding you as a friend so we can keep in touch.

Yes I had to lose the same before insurance would approve me. I keep telling myself it will be terrible so that I will be prepared for the worst, though I am glad to hear you didnt have such a difficult time of it. My husband will have to take a few days of work and my grandmother has agreed to come home with me to help care for my young son, thank goodness I have such a good support system.
  • annwyatt69
    Options

I hadn't heard of doctors allowing you to take a pain pump home with you unless you had a nurse, thank goodness you had that. My BMI before I started was 51.5 and I am now down to a 49.0 as I have lost over 15 pounds. I have been involved with the surgical group for over 5 years now so I always tell the doctors I could almost perform the surgery myself LOL I love meeting with my dietitian she is always such a help to me. I didn't know that surgery was approved for people under 40 BMI were you a self pay?

No, actually I have Texas Medicaid. I have been on Disability for years due to Type I Diabetes, hypothyroidism, sleep apnea, asthma, and other issues. I was approved because w/o the surgery I wouldn't have lived another five years. It has saved my life. (It took a year for the approval and three denials to get there.)
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options

No, actually I have Texas Medicaid. I have been on Disability for years due to Type I Diabetes, hypothyroidism, sleep apnea, asthma, and other issues. I was approved because w/o the surgery I wouldn't have lived another five years. It has saved my life. (It took a year for the approval and three denials to get there.)

Wow, well what a blessing this surgery must have been for you. Have you found that most of these complications have faded away or are you still struggling?