joint pain

Options
Help ..still very regular at 50 but having major joint pain in hands , feet and knees the week before. Also experience major fatigue this week. anyone else deal with this. Have noticed pain increasing over the last year and the relief a day or so after period starts. Anyone else and what work for you. Cannot take naproxin or anything like even aspirin bothers my stomach.

Replies

• pambarr
    pambarr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What are you using for sweetener? This may sound odd, but I figured out that Stevia causes me severe fatigue and joint pain.
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this, but magnesium is supposed to help with random pain (it's good for nerve health -- or so it says on the front of my bottle). Worth a try, if you're not already taking it.
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    thanks girls..only use a little brown sugar on morning cereal..maybe sweetener in my yogurt.. Never heard about the magnesium supplement will check it out. Have a doctors appointment tomorrow then will check out with my accupuncture doctor. Also going to check out possible food allergies just find it strange it only happens the week before my tom
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Get some bloodwork done, and have them check for calcium, vitamin D, and phosphorus. You might have some early onset arthritis. What was initially suspected and finally diagnosed in me was hyperparathyroidism.

The parathyroid gland regulates calcium levels in the body, and too much calcium can cause bone and joint pain, headaches, fatigue, heartburn, high blood pressure, kidney stones, and a plethora of other vague and nonspecified complaints. Parathyroid glands are located on the thyroid, and there are usually four of them. One of them may develop a benign tumor called an adenoma that will cause the gland to produce extra parathyroid hormone (PTH), which commands the body to dump additional calcium in the bloodstream. Unfortunately, that can take calcium from your bones, which will deposit calcium in your joints, arteries, and kidneys.

I started getting stress fractures in my feet, and experiencing fatigue and lack of mental focus that was initially attributed to premenopausal and menopausal conditions. My family doctor then reviewed my labs, and she detected increasing levels of calcium and lower levels of vitamin D and phosphorus in my bloodwork. I finally had nuclear imaging done a few weeks ago, and they found the enlarged gland. Within the year I will probably have that gland removed.

This may or may not be your case, but simple lab work could provide some insight.
  • diztimetoshine
    diztimetoshine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D3 has really helped with my joint pain. I take 5,000mg per day.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Be careful mega dosing on vitamins. My endocrinologist only recommends 1000mg per day.
  • sheilarosella
    sheilarosella Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    thanks ladies..mega D did not help..had blood work done today and exrays will find out in a couple weeks if anything shows there
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have tried to product Biofreeze which seems to help with the pain without having to take anything by mouth.
  • bondgirl13
    bondgirl13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am now post menopausal but I used to get those symptoms every month as well. I used to feel like I was getting the flu. The last few months I had the joint pain, body aches and fatigue nearly all the time. My blood work revealed low Magnesium which, apparently, is increasing in frequency throughout the world. I now take a powdered Magnesium supplement religiously and am mostly symptom free.
    When I exercise heavily or sweat profusely(like today is going to be 41 C or 105F) my Magnesium requirements increase so I need to take more.
    Google it and see if it makes sense to you.
    Hope you get relief soon.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I recently started drinking tart cherry juice and have notice a great improvement in joint pain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am now post menopausal but I used to get those symptoms every month as well. I used to feel like I was getting the flu. The last few months I had the joint pain, body aches and fatigue nearly all the time. My blood work revealed low Magnesium which, apparently, is increasing in frequency throughout the world. I now take a powdered Magnesium supplement religiously and am mostly symptom free.
    When I exercise heavily or sweat profusely(like today is going to be 41 C or 105F) my Magnesium requirements increase so I need to take more.
    Google it and see if it makes sense to you.
    Hope you get relief soon.
    Interesting. I spent months feeling like I was getting the flu just before my period. I'd forgotten about that.
    I've been taking magnesium for about 8months due to horrible foot cramps (which immediately went away).
    Perhaps that's why my malaise has also gone away!
    also, fwiw, my OBGYN says magnesium supplementation is good for migraines.
    And for me, it's been fabulous for regularity!
  • GetFit1129
    GetFit1129 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 54 years old and post menopausal. What a ride it has been!!! HaHa (right!)

I take Glucosamine / Chondroitin , it does help.

I am a runner and I teach kick boxing and boot camp classes and it take it's toil on my joints, especially my groin/hip.
    The weight training I do helps my joints too.

I think it is trial and error in what works for the individual.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    B-6 is good for pain. I was having pain in my arms plus I was having carpnel tunnel in my wrists and a co-worker told me to take B-6. Once I started taking this my pain went away I was so amazed. You only need 50 mg.
  • completebeginnings
    completebeginnings Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Changing to a primal/paleao (no sugar or grains) diet really changed my joint pain and other issues with my hormones. Good luck.