Why so hard to lose 10 lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• AmberMahfouz
    Options
    I feel it is harder for those with less weight to lose, to actually lose it. I need to lose about 16 more lbs and these are definitely the hardest! Just keep at it girls! We could be in far worse positions! Just remember how hard it was to lose once you do get it off so you don't gain it back!
  • slays1415
    slays1415 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel it is harder for those with less weight to lose, to actually lose it. I need to lose about 16 more lbs and these are definitely the hardest! Just keep at it girls! We could be in far worse positions! Just remember how hard it was to lose once you do get it off so you don't gain it back!

Amen, Sister! This is why I joined this group. I have a bunch of friends on MFP with lots to lose and they run around posting about eating 2500-3000 cals per day, how do I fit it all in, etc. and it drives me nuts! Not their fault, obviously, as they have 200+ lbs. of body weight on short frames so it's a math thing, but when you're shooting for around 1500, you are not looking to hear about someone eating Krispy Kremes for breakfast! Ha!:wink:

Anyway, to your question. I'm starting to think that when you get close to your "goal" weight, your body may not agree with the goal you have set. I'm really trying to mix things up, after struggling for the past year with the same 5-10 lbs. (not sure as I don't weigh myself, because the fluctuations are too alarming and don't have much meaning when you're in the 5 lbs. to go range). One thing I'm doing is really mixing up the work outs, forcing myself to do strength training, and playing a lot with the calories. The Eat More to Weigh Less theory works for some, but it doesn't work for me. Plus I don't feel like taking 9 months to lose 5 lbs, you know? So, no miracle I can offer over here either, but hopefully we can all support each other and get there sooner rather than later.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Really determined to do it thus time. Doing body revolution but doing running instead if cardio and putting in an extra rest day do I don't get stale. Going to eat 1400-1500 which will net me about 1300. Going to get boyfriend to hide scales and only weigh in once a month. When you're only losing half to one pound a week , a bit of wind or needing a poo ( excuse me) can make a significant difference.
    Lets try to view each others diaries and keep in touch every day.

Off to sleep now ( I'm in the UK).
  • spangey13
    spangey13 Posts: 294
    Options
    .... When you're only losing half to one pound a week , a bit of wind or needing a poo ( excuse me) can make a significant difference.

Oh dear!!! ... its just too true though isn't it? A larger dinner the night before weigh in, or anything like that makes the scales go all skewiff. I can tell by how I feel if my "weigh in" is going to be good or bad. I shouldn't bother on the bad days... but it helps keep me on track.
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat - and I have absolutely no idea what to do about it ... I eat good food (when there is no baking around me!) and exercise, mix up my exercises etc. I might try intermittent fasting, but I'm worried about being hungry! I eat every 2-3 hours and don't know if I could not have breakfast. But might give it a shot! I feel you girls, losing those last few lbs is hard!
  • ojosazules09
    ojosazules09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been bouncing back and forth the same 3-4 pounds, so I upped my calories some (I know it'll be slower weight loss, but less likely to binge), have been tracking exercise and pedometer. I'm trying to work out 3-4 times a week. I had to put my scale away because it was just stressing me out.

Do you all take measurements? Is it possible you are losing fat/gaining muscle? I have worked to really change my mindset that losing inches is BETTER than losing pounds, but it's still stressful.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I've just put in another post to say I've adjusted it to lose just half a pound a week. It seems to be working as those extra calories have meant I haven't binged for ages now.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I'm also putting money in a jar each day for keeping under my calories and for exercising. This seems to be a good motivator too.
  • priyathakkar
    Options
    Hey guys! I am new on here just started about a week ago and i have been doing well. I workout everyday and lost between 200-400 calories a day and eat no more than 1000-1200 calories. Will i be able to lose weight? I have read on some sites that you have to burn more than eat? how does that work? I know that by watching what i eat i will be okay but will it be enough? I weight about 120 and i want to cut down to 108. I am only 18 but i want to lose my chub! Any tips?
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've gone up about 5 lbs from the Summer. My ULTIMATE goal is 148...but right now...would be happy at 160! I just can't seem to lose anything even though I'm eating enough and exercising. I have a HRM and burn calories like 4-6 days a week on average...more during the summer...but this is getting FRUSTRATING as hell!!! I try to eat under 2000 cal/day doing the whole eat your TDEE minus 15% or so for my GOAL weight...but then don't see results right away so I try to drop my intake to 1600 then do well for a few days and then have a day where I'll eat like 3000 cal...negating the work from the days before and then I end up just maintaining. WTH!?!?!?! I really just need to be patient and maybe just TRY to stick to under 2000 cal/day and just hide the scale, too. Just go by how I feel...but then I get curious and step on and don't see the progress and then the cycle begins AGAIN. :huh: :mad:
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I've began to weigh about every other day. Unless I've eaten a very light meal, I take note of the low weigh ibs as I feel I'm less likely to be artifially light. The heavier ones can be due to being gassy, water retention from exercise etc. for instance, yesterday I was 10 7.8 I stuck to my calories and today I am 10 10!!!!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Hey guys! I am new on here just started about a week ago and i have been doing well. I workout everyday and lost between 200-400 calories a day and eat no more than 1000-1200 calories. Will i be able to lose weight? I have read on some sites that you have to burn more than eat? how does that work? I know that by watching what i eat i will be okay but will it be enough? I weight about 120 and i want to cut down to 108. I am only 18 but i want to lose my chub! Any tips?

This seems very low. Look at what MFP gives you for your activity level not inyding exercise. Then add in your exercise. Lots if people eat back only half if their exercise calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    the main reason that people struggle with the last few pounds is because they set themselves too aggressive a deficit. when you only have 5-10lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2lb loss/250 cal deficit.

if you dont eat back exercise calories, you will automatically be giving yourself a much larger deficit. also strength training and plenty of protein to minimise muscle loss (after all skinny fat isnt a good look) are important.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    the main reason that people struggle with the last few pounds is because they set themselves too aggressive a deficit. when you only have 5-10lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2lb loss/250 cal deficit.

if you dont eat back exercise calories, you will automatically be giving yourself a much larger deficit. also strength training and plenty of protein to minimise muscle loss (after all skinny fat isnt a good look) are important.

I agree. I've recently changed that and it's working. The reason I say eat only half exercise caliries back is that I've not got HRM and people say MFP over estimates caliries burnt.