Watermelon is the ultimate stomach settler!

dr2k12
dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
Hey All,

I just wanted to drop a note:

Quick background is I am a little over 3 months post-op (gastric-bypass) and am doing amazing if I do say so myself. No bad side-effects, no real issues at all and hopefully it stays that way...

As you will notice some foods aren't going to agree with you as you start to expand your diet, for me it's mostly breads which is easy I just stay clear of them.

However, something I found makes my stomach feel amazing is watermelon of all things. I eat about 5oz with every meal and I swear it helps with digestion and just makes me feel comfortable and settled for lack of a better way to put it..

Anyway best of luck and maybe give it a try, hopefully you get the same benefits from it I do!

-rob

Replies

• risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    I love watermelon but I stay away from it due to large amount of sugar. Granted fruit sugars are easier on the new stomach than sugar cane, but I gather you aren't eating a slice (280g) which contains near 18g of sugar and 82 calories.
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    I love watermelon too, but you have to be careful that all the fluid it contains isn't washing the food out of your pouch...posted an article awhile back about why we dont drink with our meals....may be along the same lines....any thoughts?
  • dr2k12
    I love watermelon too, but you have to be careful that all the fluid it contains isn't washing the food out of your pouch...posted an article awhile back about why we dont drink with our meals....may be along the same lines....any thoughts?

I told my nutritionist and she didn't seem to think it was a problem so I go with it, but that's a great point...
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member

Exactly what I was going to say--watermelon is full of fluid and causes that "wash out" effect. I can see watermelon as the snack in between, but I am leery of adding it to meals. Lettuce is another question I would have considering it is 99% water. I know a lot of people do the salad thing for meals, but I tend to think of them as snacks in between because of the water content. Anyone have thoughts on that?
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    I love watermelon too, but you have to be careful that all the fluid it contains isn't washing the food out of your pouch...posted an article awhile back about why we don't drink with our meals....may be along the same lines....any thoughts?

I told my nutritionist and she didn't seem to think it was a problem so I go with it, but that's a great point...

this wouldn't be the first time you've posted something your nutritionist told you was okay that our surgeons or nutritionists have told us the exact opposite. I would really recommend you do some research of your own because it sounds like your nutritionist is trying to treat you like a non surgical patient and frankly that could sabotage your long term outcomes.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    I love watermelon too, but you have to be careful that all the fluid it contains isn't washing the food out of your pouch...posted an article awhile back about why we don't drink with our meals....may be along the same lines....any thoughts?

this wouldn't be the first time you've posted something your nutritionist told you was okay that our surgeons or nutritionists have told us the exact opposite. I would really recommend you do some research of your own because it sounds like your nutritionist is trying to treat you like a non surgical patient and frankly that could sabotage your long term outcomes.

I think it is very important that your nutritionist/dietitian be one affiliated with bariatric surgery patients. Mine works as a team with my surgeon. Their practice focuses only on Roux N Y, Lapband, and the Sleeve. Big plus also is that my dietitian has her Master's in Renal Nutrition, so being a type I diabetic with kidney disease, I am closely followed. At any rate, to me, the key is education.
  • dr2k12

I think it is very important that your nutritionist/dietitian be one affiliated with bariatric surgery patients. Mine works as a team with my surgeon. Their practice focuses only on Roux N Y, Lapband, and the Sleeve. Big plus also is that my dietitian has her Master's in Renal Nutrition, so being a type I diabetic with kidney disease, I am closely followed. At any rate, to me, the key is education.

You are so right and my nutritionist is part of my surgical team and has a crazy pedigree so if she tells me it's ok to eat a few ounces of watermelon with my meals then I trust her completely. Especially since it has such a great effect on me. It's probably the same premise as eating soup which is mostly liquid...
  • sgmcat
    sgmcat Posts: 23 Member
    Good point!:wink: