A Little depressed and need some advice

Options
Hi guys! Sorry, I just need to vent and collect my thoughts. I am feeling very depressed right now, and a little like a failure. Since leaving SC and moving to GA(about 4months), my weight has ballooned from 189lbs to 213lbs. The weight didnt come on gradually, it took 2 years for me to get down to 189 from 210, but it came back in 2 months.
I've started back on keeping a journal and counting my steps. I do Zumba 3 days a week and see a personal trainer once a week. I saw my Doc and he only did a basic thyroid test. So far I have not lost a pound and its been 3 weeks. I feel stressed, irritated, frustrated, and just lost. I know I can do this, I just wish I were seeing results! Any advice?

Replies

• risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track now, and that's all that matters.
    Stop looking at the scale, measure yourself, keep going to zumba, wear your step counter, journal your meals (make sure you have the correct calorie intake set), decrease sugar and increase protein&fiber and drink LOTS of water or green tea (decaf).
    If you do all the above, you should start to lose the weight. You need to be in the right frame of mind to lose weight. Decide you're gonna 'do it' and proceed. Understand there will be slip ups along the way and don't let it discourage you.
    Remember this group is designed to help past, present and future barriatric patients. Should you decide surgery is the best 'get healthy' option for you, everyone in this group will be more than supportive. Good luck with your journey. :drinker:
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to comfort ourselves with food. That is my problem. I am trying to stop this habit of eating when I am stressed, bored, nervous, upset or just awake. I love to cook and this makes it even harder to be good. I tried to come up with a plan to help me break the habit and I say to myself "it's not going to taste as good as you think it will taste" and also "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels". I had RNY 12/31/2009 and lost 152 pounds. I have just started emotional eating again and have gained 6 pounds and don't want to go this route. I am going to an exercise class 3 days a week and walking the other 4. I am motivated and am determined to stop this crazy idea that food will sooth me. Don't beat yourself up, just make up your mind and talk to that little voice inside that undermines you. Your'e the boss, so make it "shut Up"
  • amitanorton
    Options
    Thanks! I should mention I had the gastric sleeve in 2009. I dont like looking at the scale, but its hard to stay away from it! I like to see measurable results! I do think I can get there, I'm just feeling a little irritated by the poor progress
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    This may sound silly, but have you thought about resetting yourself to "factory settings?" What I mean by this is shocking yourself back into the groove? I have heard of people going back to the pre-op/post op diet to shock the system into working again. It's just a thought.

Also, how much protein are you eating? Sometimes you can bump your protein up by 10, and that will give your body a nice jump too. If you aren't drinking enough water, that might also be why you are holding onto your weight.

If that doesn't seem to work, have you been able to go #2? Maybe a laxative tea might help...
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    if you are monitoring what you are eating, the weight should start falling off. Make sure you are getting your protein first and enough fluids. I had a hard time with getting the protein and didn't like the protein shakes but came up with a great recipe to have the shakes. Mix some instant coffee in the water before you add the protein powder, then add the powder and shake well. Pour it over ice cubes and have a great tasting iced coffee. The protein powder makes the liquid a little thick so it's (in my opinion) just like a McDonalds iced coffee. Let me know if you try it. Gastric sleeve is not as drastic as a RNY but still greatly limits your capacity for food intake. It will take longer to lose but you will lose the weight.. It's a journey and you are still on it. Keep your chin up and it will happen. It just takes time.
  • Sone_Palupe
    Options
    I am kinda in the same boat. I had gained almost half the 45kg I lost.

I've gone back to step one and followed my orginal routine when I was first banded back in May 2009. Resetting your "factory settings" will help get you back on track.

Best of luck :)

Sone of Brisbane
    This may sound silly, but have you thought about resetting yourself to "factory settings?" What I mean by this is shocking yourself back into the groove? I have heard of people going back to the pre-op/post op diet to shock the system into working again. It's just a thought.

Also, how much protein are you eating? Sometimes you can bump your protein up by 10, and that will give your body a nice jump too. If you aren't drinking enough water, that might also be why you are holding onto your weight.

If that doesn't seem to work, have you been able to go #2? Maybe a laxative tea might help...
  • amitanorton
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have not tried resetting myself, but I am willing to try anything at this point. I do drink a lot of water, and I go to the bathroom 2-3 times a day (I'm on metformin and my tummy does not entirely like it.) I cant drink coffee it makes me sick, I do love the smell though!
  • sgmcat
    sgmcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great ideas.