Saving up for my sleeve!

Options
VSGme
VSGme Posts: 36 Member
Hi everyone,

I've finally made a decision to save up for a sleeve. It will cost me 9800 out of pocket. After so many attempts and fails I've decided it is time. I can't even call myself a yo-yo dieter because I can't lose anything - just steadily have been gaining. I've put on over 60 lbs over the past 4 years and since starting MFP, I've gained about 15. My dad had the sleeve about a year ago with great results - he has no regrets and feels like a new man. I'm ready to feel confident and get out of this slump I've been in - my weight now is 215 and I'd love to be in the 150's again. What has your experience been, the good and the bad?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• JillyInAZ
    JillyInAZ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    HI Tiffany,
    I self paid for my sleeve and I don't regret it one bit. My only wish is that I'd done sooner. I've had excellent results!

Jill
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    That is awesome. I will be having my sleeve sometime after the first of the near year. Is it that you do not have insurance to cover it or does your insurance just not cover a sleeve. If it is the later, have you considered other options that your insurance will cover? I know some insurances do not cover the sleeve because it is not as tride and true as the bypass.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 6/11/12 5 months ago and don't regret it one bit. The only regret I really have is waiting till I was 48 to have it done. Wish I would have had WLS long before that but oh well!
    My insurance paid for mine. They just started covering the sleeve last year as before that they would only pay for lap band and RNY.
    There is no way I could have afford to self pay as my total hospital and surgeon bill was close to $75,000! The insurance paid about $37,000. It's an HMO so there was only a $250 co pay I had to pay and a $300 program fee that my insurance didn't pay and some $20 co pays I had to pay so I was out about $700 or so total cost for sleeve surgery. I am thankful my insurance covered it. I have Health Alliance in Illinois.
    Good luck!
  • VSGme
    VSGme Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My insurance won't cover it because my BMI is under 35 and I don't have any conditions rendering my health.
    There is a well known surgeon here in Louisiana - Dr Thomas Borland - that does the entire surgery for $9, 800 and the cost includes everything. I've heard nothing but great things about him and his team.

Thanks for the replies! I'm really excited and anxious to move forward! Waiting until our Chirstmas bonuses from work come through and I'll be scheduling some time after the new year.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any co morbilities but I did have joint pain due to my weight. My insurance did cover it thank goodness. My weight was 223 day of surgery. I lost 47 before surgery. I was still classified as obese at 223 at 5'4".
    Good luck!