SB Phase One Day 5 and discouraged with my results

Hi,
I started the south beach diet on Monday with just a list of food that I can eat in Phase 1. I have been very faithful in sticking to the list and the eating plan and as of this afternoon I have only lost 2 pounds in the last 4 1/2 days. I am a little discouraged in my loss, I thought I would have lost a few more pounds by now.

My question is, does 2 pounds in 4 days seem about right? I was expecting the scale to have moved a little more and honestly, I am a little discouraged. I am 5'7" and have about 20 lbs. to lose to be at optimum weight. I have had several friends go on the diet and lose an incredible amount of weight and I was hoping to have the same results.

I was wondering if anyone would share their success on phase one and how many pounds on average I should expect to lose.

I am grateful for any comments or insight:)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• vonns36
    vonns36 Posts: 50 Member
    Hey...actually I started on Monday too and have lost 2.5 pounds ...was expecting more too...be interesting to hear what others have lost in phase 1..it's gonna be a bit of a struggle for wk 2 getting kinda sick of eggs
  • Thanks for responding:) I have not weighed myself since Friday, but I am hoping for better results today. I think maybe it takes a little time for your body to detox itself from all the carbs I have eaten:) Congrats to you and keep up the good work. I was pretty grumpy last week, but I am feeling much better and I have to admit that I am pretty proud that I have stuck to this diet and fought through the urges. I have had less urges for sure. Keep in touch and let me know how your weight loss adventure goes:)
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    I think 2 lbs in four days is fantastic, especially since you only have 20 lbs to lose. When I started SB I waited three full weeks to weigh myself, and at that point I had lost 9 lbs. I started August 20 and have lost at an average of just under 2 & 1/2 lbs per week. I am 49 and have had a hard time losing weight for several years. This has been like a miracle for me. I would definitely suggest limiting the weighing to once a week, but that's just my opinion and what works for me. Keep it up....you are doing great!
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    I don't think that is a terrible number. I lost about 8 lbs on phase 1. I'm looking to lose about 35 lbs total, so I was pretty thrilled with that!! Just think that they really recommend only losing 2lbs a week, so be thrilled with what you've done. Good luck with the rest of the journey!!
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    I just completed my first week on Phase I and I've only lost 2 pounds. I'm 5'4" and have about 45-50 pounds to lose. I have been very strict also. I was already watching what I ate and exercising but my doctor told me my cholesterol was high and recommended SB. I'm going to keep on plan and am waiting to see how much it helps my "insides" as well. Of course I'd love to lose 10 pounds in two weeks too lol.

Is anyone else subscribing to their website or just following the book and hanging out here?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    You only have 20 pounds to lose and lost 2 pounds in 4 days. That is 10% of your extra weight. That is amazing! Really, all of us want to lose 10 pounds a week, but that is not realistic. For someone 100 pounds overweight, they might lose 10 pounds the first week of dieting, but most of that is water weight, and they will NOT lose that much the following weeks. Shows like The Biggest Loser can skew our perception of what is possible. Yes, they lose lots of weight, but they are spending hours per day in the gym working out like madmen, they have nutritionists on site, and they eat around 1600 per day, while burning 3000-4000 calories in the gym. They don't have a job to go to or a family to take care of. It is not the real world. When the show ends, 80% of them gain it all back. All of them gain at least some of it back.
    For us in the Real World, we have to be patient and make sure we look at this as a lifestyle change, not just a temporary diet to get us under a magical number. Ask any of us older women and we will have plenty of yo-yo dieting stories to share.

You have to compare apples to apples. You can't look at someone who is 100 pounds overweight and compare their loss to yours. Find someone around your age, height, weight, and activity level to compare your success with. See how they are losing weight. What and how much they are eating, what type of exercise and how long they are exercising.

Unrealistic expectations is the biggest obstacle to success.

Try weighing weekly instead of daily like another lady suggested. Continue doing what you need to do with your diet. Exercise as much as you can. and be PATIENT! You will reach your goal in a reasonable time.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Thanks for responding:) I have not weighed myself since Friday, but I am hoping for better results today. I think maybe it takes a little time for your body to detox itself from all the carbs I have eaten:) Congrats to you and keep up the good work. I was pretty grumpy last week, but I am feeling much better and I have to admit that I am pretty proud that I have stuck to this diet and fought through the urges. I have had less urges for sure. Keep in touch and let me know how your weight loss adventure goes:)

I guess I need to look at the dates of posts, and read all the responses before I comment! Glad you are mentally better. I understand the frustration of not losing at the rate I want to. Congrats to you for sticking with this thru the tough days. After the first week it DOES get so much easier.

SO what is your success this week?
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    DebbieLyn63 oh my gosh you are so right on. I went back an re-read my post and I want to clarify that I'm pretty happy with my 2 pounds and I'm really happy with how I'm beginning to feel. It is hard when we are flooded with crazy tales of huge amounts of weight like Biggest Loser and others.

Days 2, 3 and 4 of my first week were HARD but I'm starting Week 2 of Phase 1 today. I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm feeling pretty darn good. I'm not as hungry and have more energy. I'm shocked that I have no cravings for anything right now which is awesome. I can totally take or leave a Diet Coke and drink water instead. THAT is a miracle right there.

One other thing I would add is that while my 2 pounds is not a big whopping number I've lost 2.5" off my waist and there is something to be said for that. Overall I am loving me some SB right now.