Introduce yourselves and your foodie credentials!

Options
I've only just joined MFP and was pleased to see there is this group bringing together foodies. But I notice there hasn't been much activity of late, and that unlike other groups there is no introduce yourself thread. So let me get the ball rolling.

I live in a seaside town on the east coast of Australia, just south of Sydney. A few years ago I went for the big foodie dream, and opened a cafe of my own. I'm proud of the food we make, using local and seasonal produce, and would love to share recipes and ideas with you. Now it's your turn!

Replies

• cookingwithtrace
    Options
    hello! I am a dad, husband, and a foodie. I created a blog years ago called cookingwithtrace.com and I am now trying to make recipes that are healthy, delicious, and filling.
  • Stephie_D
    Stephie_D Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi All! I have been on MFP before, but did not really commit to tracking my activities. I am hoping this time I will stay on track...maybe with the help of others that really care about the foods they eat and enjoy cooking from scratch (at least as much as my lifestyle will allow).
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't really have credentials in food. I just like to cook and eat!
    I am 42, married, a mother of two. I usually use cooking light recipies, but I also like cooks illustrated. I tend toward the simpler end of things since I work as well as cook dinner, but I love finding easy, good recipies based on real ingredients. I do use Trader Joes shortcuts (cut up veggies) a lot. Would love for this group to share good recipies.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Rocket. Here are my "foodie" credentials
    Beer-Belly-blog-300x273.jpg
  • saffronblue
    saffronblue Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know about credentials! I am a wife and mother. I love to cook. We raise and butcher our own rabbits and pigs for the table, and we collect fresh eggs from the hens when they are kind enough to lay some for us! We eat very well, fresh veggies and quality foods. The kitchen is my room. I love my books and my spices. And I love feeding my family delicious meals! I also work in the wine industry and enjoy pairing, and tasting wines as well.
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I grew up with my parents owning a restaurant and catering business, so you could say food is in my DNA. I love to cook and love to eat, and if I could control that a little better, I'd be totally skinny! But there's just something about a dish of food made with love and talent.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi! :flowerforyou: I don't have "credentials per se, but your food should *sing*.. is my long held opinion. Raised by a great cook of a Grandma, her food definitely sang.

Although for many years I worked in Gourmet and Natural Food stores and at one time could work/manage any department in a big Whole Foods type store except the meat dept, could never deal with it. But Cheese, Bakery, Deli.. those were my forte. I worked with a lot of great chefs over the years.. but of them all in many ways I'm most thankful for the two Hindu Indian ladies I worked with at the one deli. From them, mostly just by watching, I learned many valuable recipes that I still cook regularly today.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm Lucas and I love trying new foods & restaurants. Cooking is my main hobby. I've tried several foods most people would be disgusted by. I like almost everything as long as its good quality.
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I'm new to MFP and would really enjoy joining in with a foody group. I love trying and adapting new recipes: with a particular interest in fresh produce.

Interested in all cuisines and will purchase the necessary tools (e.g. paella pans, tajines, terrines, Chinese steamers, etc.) to cook and present the meal - should mention my partner and I do enjoy entertaining friends and family for meals.

Credentials: In a past life I was married to a chef and owned a restaurant; I was thin then, running a restaurant is hard work.

I'm fat now, living a more sedentary lifestyle, but still love food and I intend to continue enjoying it. My goal here is to learn how to moderate what I eat and increase my activity.

With some less weight and some more energy I reckon I could get back to growing my own vegetables again.

Would appreciate some 'foody' friends so please contact me if you think we could support each other.

Del
  • xeniterhood
    Options
    Hi all
    I have been on MFP for about 6 weeks now and am finally looking at the groups. So glad to find other foodies!

Credentials:
    When I go to a restaurant I don't just consume what is put in front of me. I experience the food with my whole body. I analyze and savor the aroma and flavors as they cross my palate. I pay attention to the body feel after taking a bite. Particularly good food will give a blossom of energy as it reaches your stomach. Food can be an amazing experience.

Favorite pass times when not working or volunteering: cooking classes, tasting events, wine pairing dinners, beer dabbler dinners, cooking parties, cooking with friends, creating meals for family, feeding others.

For the past couple of years I have been getting a box of fresh produce weekly from one of my local CSA groups. It has given me a lot of opportunities to cook with foods I had not eaten or cooked with before. It is amazing how many dishes you can come up with for something like beets or eggplant. In the past the only thing I would do with beets is steam them and put some butter on to serve. This year we did everything from beet slaw to a cold beet & mint soup, I even grilled some beets (not successfully).

We have a lot of fun with food from the cooking, making food art on a plate, to the consuming. I just love the energy that surrounds food.
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    I feel grateful to live in Los Angeles, one of the food capitals of the world. Quality food from just about any culture or cuisine is within easy driving distance and the talent of the chefs who have set up shop here is inspiring. I love to cook, I love going out to try new restaurants, and I especially love to eat. I love to enjoy my food and appreciate fresh local seasonal ingredients, creative flairs, and decadent luxury ingredients as well as my mom's Vietnamese home cooking. My boyfriend and I write a food blog - www.nomnomcat.com to document our adventures in and out of the kitchen. Looking forward to interacting with all of you! Please feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I just found this group today! :) I have always considered myself a foodie. Unfortunately, this has sky-rocketed my weight gain in the past. However, within the last year, I have learned to practice moderation (and practice and practice).
    I love trying new and unique resteraunts and adore a variety of different cuisines. I also love to eat at places that prepare local, farm-fresh meals.
    My all-time favorite food is sushi (obviously I love fresh fish). I am super adventurous when dining. I also love to cook and visit our local farmer's markets.
    Feel free to add me, if you are a fellow foodie. My diary is open to friends.
    Have an excellent and delicious day! :)
  • kitchenpenguin
    kitchenpenguin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Aloha! I'm Akiyo and I'm a culinary arts student and occasional food blogger. I'm currently between semesters so I'm practicing my techniques in preparation for classes starting up again at the end of August. This, of course, means that I'm eating all this good food but not walking the 2+ miles I did in the school kitchen. Congratulations to the other members on their progress and I look forward to being a part of this community.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Ray, I have worked on a slow food farm and been part of the Heaven on Earth project as a Gardner and Chef. I have worked in the food industry for many years. I currently live on a 1 acre sustainable lot. we have had chickens here. I try and keep to a hundred mile food plan which is okay as I live in Canada's Banana belt. (South Western Ontario) I lov Foi Gras and wine. I had hoped on raising my own foi gras but do not have a pond for the ducks and geese. There are humain ways of doing this by adding a molasses to the corn mixture that cause the ducks and guess to love it without force feeding them. However should I create a fatty liver if I know a fatty liver for me is not good. I have also explored the preperations of Offal which when done right is delicious. I am open to most foods but trying to keep in mind portions. I am an avid participant in slow food. And have taken online lectures with Alice Waters (chez Panise) fame.
  • Help_I_Married_A_Chef
    Options
    As you can see by my name, I married a chef, so I guess that entitles me to the MRS. foodie credential! One thing about being married to a chef is that my husband insists on using oil and butter and all the real ingredients, he likes to avoid substitues like splenda and low fat products etc. I agree that using the real stuff is better for you, however requires portion control. Compliments to all the chefs out there - portion control of good foods made with real ingredients is a challenge! It is just so easy to overdose on my husbands buttery potatos and rich sauces and sweet desserts! Perhaps I just need to amp up the exercise. How do you keep your foodie tummy under control?
  • GeekyGoddess
    Options
    Don't know much about "credentials" but I got pretty fat eating home cooked meals in a town with no fast food (closest Ff restaurant is 800 miles west). I like to cook, but I LOVE to eat well prepared meals with premium ingredients.
  • cookingcow
    cookingcow Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    HI! I am Jessica, 20, and I graduated Culinary School in March of 2012 and have worked in professional kitchens for over two years. I am in LOVE with food and am such a foodie at heart. I love to try new things and experiment and absolutely love that my job keeps me open minded and around my one true love.
  • wheldar
    Options
    Helo Foodies.

I am new to MFP and am a Foodie and have been for quite some time. I assist at a local retail kitchen and wine store for assorted cooking classes held there. I have no formal training (ACI, AAI, etc), but have been interested in learning to prepare healthier meals to stay on track with my current health plan. I tend to watch FoodTv and Cooking TV and take the recipes to a healthier level (if needed, not all I have seen need adjusting).

Looking forward to sharing some of the many recipes I have gathered over the years and learning new ways to make the 'same-old, same-old' food be healthy and exciting.

I do believe that we eat with our eyes first, and enjoy the plating of food as an art. Pictures will be shared soon.

I consider myself fortunate to be able to work with touring chefs from around the world at the store and learn so much from them.

Question: Where would I find and/or post recipies? I would like to find new recipes for standard fares and make them healthier, and of course, very tasty.

RG
    Atlanta. GA
  • dpurzer
    dpurzer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey All!

Had the account for a while but just started "for serious" on Sunday.

My credentials are: I absolutely love to cook and try anything and everything. This is proven by the fact that I am on MFP =).

Do not hesitate in contacting/messaging me with unusual and interesting recipes!

Regards,
    David
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi David and welcome. I've also noticed a lot of groups have become a bit inactive like this one. Nice to see a new foodie!

I love getting foodie tips from Alton Brown especially his old "Good Eats" show. :happy: