Need suggestions for using silken tofu

Options
_VoV
_VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
I stocked up on Mori-Nu silken tofu in aseptic packaging several months ago, but it's nearing its sell-by date.

I used to use it for making deep-fried Japanese tofu with nori flake sauce (Agedoshi), but that is obviously high calorie. Other than using it for breakfast scrambled tofu, I'm at a loss on how to use it up in healthy, low-calorie ways.

Suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• cypherwulf
    cypherwulf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I typically use silken tofu as an egg substitute for baked goods like pumpkin pie and brownies, and it's also fine for puddings and smoothies. You could use it in a quiche, there are good recipes for them on vegweb.com. However, you must have a blender or food processor to use it in the ways I mentioned or you'll have a gross, chunky, tofu mess.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I typically use silken tofu as an egg substitute for baked goods like pumpkin pie and brownies, and it's also fine for puddings and smoothies. You could use it in a quiche, there are good recipes for them on vegweb.com. However, you must have a blender or food processor to use it in the ways I mentioned or you'll have a gross, chunky, tofu mess.

Thank you so much. I have those appliances, and will start looking for baking recipes (including quiche--YUM!)
  • MeanieD
    Options
    It's excellent for making low-fat vegan pumpkin pie! Oh and smoothies! Blend it with frozen strawberries and bananas, and a splash of orange juice for a quick morning meal.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's excellent for making low-fat vegan pumpkin pie! Oh and smoothies! Blend it with frozen strawberries and bananas, and a splash of orange juice for a quick morning meal.

Do you have a specific, yummy, vegan pumpkin pie recipe that uses silken tofu? It's almost Thanksgiving here, and every year my (omnivore but trapped in a largely vegan household) husband requests pumpkin pie.
  • MeanieD
    Options
    Well, my friend and I made this one: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/884

I don't like pecans though. :p
  • veggiewolf
    veggiewolf Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I blend it into carrot or pumpkin soup...
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can use silken tofu as a base for dips and creamy soups. I use it to make my own ranch dressing, vegan mayo and vegan sour cream.
  • little_bee
    Options
    Silken tofu is delicious in miso, or broth-based soups. I usually add Asian greens to the soup, such as pak choy, choy sum or gai lan. The soup is great if you're feeling a little sluggish, or want something to eat without feeling yuck afterwards. You can also pop some rice in the soup if you need more of a meal.
  • healthysince2013
    healthysince2013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This recipe for mini crustless quiches. Less than 400 calories for the whole recipe and so amazing!!! I suggest making a double or triple batch though because they go quick. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/mini-crustless-tofu-quiches.html