5x5 vs Starting Strength

Options
yecatsml
yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
I have heard amazing things about both and am looking to start a program in the next couple weeks. I've looked at both and they seem very similar though SS seems to have a couple more exercises - thoughts? I have a bench, bar and weights and that is pretty much it (oh, and a treadmill and dumbells). I'm anxious to get going but want to find a program that I can progress on - I know both will allow that so I'm looking for insights into both.

I have downloaded the Starting Strength Logbook and there are quite a few "variations" listed - Practical Programming novice program, Original novice program, Wichita falls novice program, etc. They look similar.....

I guess I'm just getting confused and weighed down with all the options!

Replies

• vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    They are very similar, IMO stronglifts is just simpler which is better for me. Here's a pretty basic explanation though of SS, easiest one to understand that I have found http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752&page=1
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    they're almost the same. SS is 3x5 from the beginning, rather than 5x5 (Stronglifts is meant to BECOME 3x5 after you stall at 5x5).

SS also uses power cleans instead of pendlay rows.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I was leaning towards the SL to do first. The more I'm looking the more SS seems more "advanced".
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    They're very similar. The main difference is SS has power cleans and SL has pendlay rows. Due to physical limitations, I can't do power cleans and am doing rows instead. What I'm doing is closer to SL, but I really like Rippetoe's approach better so I plan on following SS's plan just with my subsitutions. I still consider myself a beginner/novice so I'm keeping it simple for now.