What do you wish you'd known sooner?

Options
AliceNov2011
AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
White wine spritzer. I feel sure I'd never have gotten overweight if I'd known about this sooner. I shake my fist at you, God of Secret Good Stuff!

Replies

• TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known years and years ago to set small, achievable goals, and to make only one change at a time. Losing weight takes not a diet, but a lifestyle change. It takes 6 weeks to make something become a habit, and let's be honest--our weight wasn't gained overnight, so it won't come off overnight, either. However, IT WILL COME OFF!!! I'm living proof of that, being perimenopausal and having PCOS.

What I did was slowly change how I ate, first adding in an extra veggie a day, or working on increasing my daily fiber intake through food and not supplements. Then I increased my exercise over a series of weeks, eventually finding myself going to the gym 6 days a week. That was when the weight really started to come off and my body began an amazing metamorphosis.
  • Dianemustang
    Options
    you are what you eat!
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I wish i could have looked into the future 7 years ago. I would have lost 200 pounds real quick. LOL (My ex):mad:
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I wish that I knew to stay on the course of clean eating. I worked at Whole Foods for a year and got spoiled with the foods and the wealth of info. visiting the health & beauty aisle reading up on natural cures etc. I got off course a few years later and let stress in and it changed my life negatively hence the weight gain and hypertension.
    Now, I'm slowly but surley getting back on track. It's not hard but it can be expensive food wise & I'm getting a little impatient with myself as I'm doing this whole life overhaul 1 day at a time.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have realized when I was young, how badly yoyo dieting would be for my health. Had I taken care of myself, I peobably would not have have all my heart isues, Fbromyalgia, A-fib, arthritis, IBS. It really does matter what you do in your teens, 20's, 30's, 40's, cause it really bit me in the *kitten* at 50 and I will be 60 on Friday, and everything is a battle.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I wish i would have realized that the most important thing is taking care of yourself from the inside out. If you don't understand why you gained the weight, you will never be able to fully keep it off.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I wish i could have looked into the future 7 years ago. I would have lost 200 pounds real quick. LOL (My ex):mad:
    Oh too funny!!!
  • meglet175
    Options
    Don't do today what you're not willing to do forever. It's a lifestyle, not a "diet."
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    That food was controlling me rather than me controlling food.
    That making small but achievable changes add up to big results.
    That making one bad choice doesn't mean you lost the battle or that it can undo all the work.
    That its a lifestyle not a diet.
    That its okay to have an occasional treat just don't let it get out of control.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    How important weight lifting/load bearing is to overall health. And the proper nutrition to feed your muscles.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I wish I had known that fat doesn't make you fat. I was eating the most disgusting fat-free cheese - blech
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree on the fat free stuff. They made us all paranoid about eggs and fat and all sorts of foods and now we're learning the stuff they told us to eat is healthy for us. Sigh. Basically, I suspect a conspiracy involving food companies wanting us to buy all sorts of diet junk.

Monica
  • seehe
    seehe Posts: 946 Member
    Options

Too funny :laugh:
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Wish I'd eaten more vegetables/fruit along the way, over the years, and not believed the "carbs are bad" myths. I wish I'd known then that complex veggie/fruit carbs are not the same as refined carbs -- nowadays I eat all the vegetables/fruit I want.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    I wish that I had know that being overweight would make menopause a living hell for me. :devil: Yep, that would have motivated me to drop the weight and work out like my life depended on it.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    That I didn't have to eat "diet" food in order to lose weight.

I already knew about white wine spritzers :)
  • 3springchicks
    3springchicks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've always battled with my weight. However, when I was younger and went on a "diet", the weight would come off fairly quickly & easily for me----all I did was focus on healthy eating and excercise. Now that I'm in my mid-forties, it's just simply not that easy any more. I wish I would've realized all of this 10+ years ago, and kept the weight off at that point!!!! It's coming off again now,...but BOY! It's taking a lot of HARD WORK and dedication!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Until about 10 years ago, could eat whatever and whenever with no thoughts of calories, fat..if i liked it, ijust ate it. Well everything has changed and this i did not see coming.

So the plan is to somehow get healthy by eating clean, continue to exercise...this is my life now that reality is setting in and yes, do i ever wish i'd known sooner!
  • Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    As a charter member of the yo-yo dieter club, I wish I had known that no foods are bad and off limits. It's all about portion size and logging. That little bit of info would have saved me a lot of obcessing and failure.

Now what is the scoop on the white wine spritzer?
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Not to sweat the small stuff. And to take things a day at a time. Oh, and patience is always needed for anything worthwhile.