weight gain and meds

Options
chefsusan
chefsusan Posts: 101 Member
I am getting very frustrated. My weight has done nothing but go up. I am on remicade, immuran, and asacol. In the last 6 weeks I have seen my weight go up about 6 pounds. I am not happy about that. I have been doing stuff that would keep me active. Not necessarily exercising, but just moving. I get to the point that I need to have something sweet to eat, I am trying to have a bowl of cereal, not a big one, when that happens, instead of looking for something that is over 300 calories. Has any one else had that problem.

I don't know if it is because I am feeling better or what. This is so aggrivating!
Any help/advise?

Replies

• iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    you might try giving oatmeal a shot as a replacement for sweet snacks. i really like brown sugar (160 cals) and apple cinnamon (130 cals.) sometimes i add 2/3 of a pack of stevia, and i always sprinkle with powdered cinnamon. the oatmeal packets keep me full for a long time. i use water to prepare the oatmeal.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    Hard to say, may just be water retention, are you eating more now as well, or are your eating habits generally the same?
  • chefsusan
    chefsusan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My eating habits are mostly the same. One difference is that we are not getting McDonalds and other fast foods as much. ha.
    My problem with oatmeal is that it is a fiber, and because of my UC I have to be on a low fiber diet. Cream of Wheat is good, I like the maple and brown sugar. I can't have any of the "fake sugar" I can only have the real stuff. It gets hard when I can only eat certain things. And most of that is processed food. A low residue diet is what I eat. UGH!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i'm also sensitive to fiber, but oats don't seem to set me off.

i read a book (i think it was called breaking the cycle or something; it promotes the impossible to follow specific carbohydrate diet.) in the book, they recommended saccharine as the least irritating of the artificial sweeteners for UC. i'm not sure how accurate that is; the book contained some woo.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I can't have any of the "fake sugar" I can only have the real stuff.

I recommend trying Truvia/Stevia. I used to have minor issues with some of the artificial sweeteners, moreso Xylitol, but for being as low-calorie as it is, I've found these really hard to go wrong with.
  • fab_ridz
    Options
    Hey!
    Are you just coming out of a flare-up? When I started on Remicade and Imuran I was in a flare-up and when the meds became effective and I was coming out of the flare-up, I started gaining weight. But I had lost quite a lot of weight during the flare-up. Your body goes through alot when you do have a flare-up (for me I cannot eat much at all and when I start eating I gain weight) however, it will take some time for your body to adjust to its routine and get back to normal. I think I gained weight until 3rd or 4th remicade infusion.
    Just control your calorie intake and eat more protein, fruits and veggies (I started off with smoothies and protein powder - since it best suited me). My body still doesn't adjust to oatmeal and regular milk/almond milk... don't know... but its just doesnt like it..lol. So just experiment what foods are low calorie and what suits you best.
    Slowly start off with low impact, low intensity exercises even if it is for 15 mins.
    Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any feedback
  • Jerrielynn
    Options
    Hey!
    Are you just coming out of a flare-up? When I started on Remicade and Imuran I was in a flare-up and when the meds became effective and I was coming out of the flare-up, I started gaining weight. But I had lost quite a lot of weight during the flare-up. Your body goes through alot when you do have a flare-up (for me I cannot eat much at all and when I start eating I gain weight) however, it will take some time for your body to adjust to its routine and get back to normal. I think I gained weight until 3rd or 4th remicade infusion.
    Just control your calorie intake and eat more protein, fruits and veggies (I started off with smoothies and protein powder - since it best suited me). My body still doesn't adjust to oatmeal and regular milk/almond milk... don't know... but its just doesnt like it..lol. So just experiment what foods are low calorie and what suits you best.
    Slowly start off with low impact, low intensity exercises even if it is for 15 mins.

I have crohns disease, similar to uc, can you tell me what you consider a flare up?
  • fab_ridz
    fab_ridz Posts: 73
    Options
    Hey!

I have crohns disease, similar to uc, can you tell me what you consider a flare up?

When you experience all the symptoms of UC - means you have inflammation - and are having a flare-up.
    You are in a flare-up state until your symptoms subside.