12 Steps to a Better Holiday Season

Options
Lilflowr
Lilflowr Posts: 21 Member
This was sent to me by a friend thought I would share...

Twelve Steps to a Better Holiday Season

1. We admitted the holiday season has a deeper meaning than devouring food.

2. We came to believe a Power greater than ourselves could help us see and celebrate the true meaning of the season.

3. We came to believe our Higher Power could help us appreciate the joyfulness of the season as we understood it.

4. We made a searching and thorough examination of our realationship to food during the holidays and other things we enjoy about the season.

5. We admitted to our Higher Power the exact nature of our food habits during holidays seasons past.

6. We became entirely ready to allow our Higher Power to remoe our attachment to food as a necessity of the holidays.

7. We humbly asked him to remove our desire to partake of holiday treats.

8. We made a list of all persons whose presence makes the holiday season joyful for us and with whom we would like to share our joy.

9. We made plans to spend time with those people whenever possible, except when to do so would remove us from our primary purpose of abstinence.

10. We continued to enjoy the company of friends and family and other non-food aspects of the season.

11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our appreciation of the season, praying for knowledge of its meaning and the joy we feel at this time.

12. Having realized that sharing the joy of this season with others far outlasts the fleeting pleasure of food, we gave ourselves the gift of abstinence throughout the holidays and gave others the gift of our full attention and appreciation.

Loved this and loved that this is definetely a WE program...

Replies

• julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This was sent to me by a friend thought I would share...

Twelve Steps to a Better Holiday Season

1. We admitted the holiday season has a deeper meaning than devouring food.

2. We came to believe a Power greater than ourselves could help us see and celebrate the true meaning of the season.

3. We came to believe our Higher Power could help us appreciate the joyfulness of the season as we understood it.

4. We made a searching and thorough examination of our realationship to food during the holidays and other things we enjoy about the season.

5. We admitted to our Higher Power the exact nature of our food habits during holidays seasons past.

6. We became entirely ready to allow our Higher Power to remoe our attachment to food as a necessity of the holidays.

7. We humbly asked him to remove our desire to partake of holiday treats.

8. We made a list of all persons whose presence makes the holiday season joyful for us and with whom we would like to share our joy.

9. We made plans to spend time with those people whenever possible, except when to do so would remove us from our primary purpose of abstinence.

10. We continued to enjoy the company of friends and family and other non-food aspects of the season.

11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our appreciation of the season, praying for knowledge of its meaning and the joy we feel at this time.

12. Having realized that sharing the joy of this season with others far outlasts the fleeting pleasure of food, we gave ourselves the gift of abstinence throughout the holidays and gave others the gift of our full attention and appreciation.

Loved this and loved that this is definetely a WE program...

thank you so much for this it's brilliant. I am going to steal it and take it to my OA group tonight!
    love Julia
  • JennyRN70
    Options
    That is great - I am going to need one for next year when I go on my honeymoon to an all inclusive resort - I am already thinking about how to keep my abstinence :)

I love how it addresses all of the concerns of the holiday season - this will be my first OA holiday and I am feeling optimistic - thanks again for sharing :D
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Really enjoyed this. It will be very helpful.
    Thbka for sharing
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    Wonderful! Right on target. Thanks for sharing!
  • angimichelle
    Options
    Thanks for this! As my sister and I were planning our holiday meal tonight I started to feel anxious about how I would be abstinent and make different choices this year. I am glad I have time to prepare and make a plan, and feel more confident after this reminder that the holiday is about the people, not the food. Thanks for sharing!
  • JennyRN70
    Options
    Hi everyone - so I attended a holiday party last night and managed to stay abstinent - it was quite difficult I will admit - but I was very happy to have succeeded :) I have decided what to do about dessert on Christmas Day too - I found a recipe for baked apples with pecans and maple syrup - figured it was going to be a good option for us with very minimal sugar - my red light foods are pastry type foods - so I am optimistic that I can make it through with abstinence intact - I hope all of you are able to maintain yours as well :)