Fitting in a workout

Options
I'm running into the issue of it's dark pretty much till I go to work/class, and half the time it's dark by the time I get home. The gym is a 15 minute walk (can't drive, could potentially bike), and I just don't like to make that walk in the dark. We have a small gym in the apartment clubhouse, but it's really not in good condition. Does anyone else have these issues?

Replies

• RixxyRikaa
    RixxyRikaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It gets dark at around 5pm here now. The gym is a 15 min walk from my dorm as well. I try to do some simple exercises in the 3 foot floor space I already have
  • SoonerVet
    Options
    I would say working out from home should be on the list. If you can't afford a treadmill/elliptical/bike, then at least get some dumbbells or something. There is of course P90x or Insanity or youtube/BodyRock online videos. I also say the crappy apartment gym is better than no gym at all. As long the machine isn't going to fall apart on you, I'd still use it!

AND last but not least, use your weekend to go to the school gym while it's light outside and take your rest days during the week instead.
  • ojosazules09
    ojosazules09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SoonerVet, that's a good idea. So often I just use my weekends to stay in my apartment. I have to be careful with any at home video that involves any kind of jumping...I live in a second story apartment....But I do have a few DVDs I'm trying to utilize.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would say working out from home should be on the list. If you can't afford a treadmill/elliptical/bike, then at least get some dumbbells or something. There is of course P90x or Insanity or youtube/BodyRock online videos. I also say the crappy apartment gym is better than no gym at all. As long the machine isn't going to fall apart on you, I'd still use it!

AND last but not least, use your weekend to go to the school gym while it's light outside and take your rest days during the week instead.

I think this is great advice! I know my old apartment complex's gym wasn't that great, but it was better than nothing and because it wasn't so great it usually didn't have anyone in it which meant I could use whatever machines I wanted too. I know that now that I live in a house I definitely miss having it there as I now have to drive to campus if I want to workout in a gym. Workout videos have been my life saver though when I don't have time to make the drive to campus. Also, lately I've been making myself jog in place through my favorite tv shows. Since I'm often watching them as a study break, or more realistically procrastination (haha), I feel I can at least be somewhat productive. I jogged through HIMYM last night and burned quite a few calories in those 30 minutes, definitely more than I would have watching it from my couch. :smile:
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can convince one of your mobile friends/acquaintances to become a gym buddy with you AND pick you up for some gas money or something. It'd help with motivation on those lazy days, too! Or you could convince someone to walk with you to and from the gym? Safety in numbers!
  • bandsofblue
    bandsofblue Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My schools gym is about a 5 minute walk away but I go to school in a rough area so I'm afraid to walk there anytime, especially at night. Don't wanna drive my car there so I work out in my room. I do some sit ups, run in place, jumping jacks and I've even seen people running up and down the stairs in the stairwell. But I like the idea someone else suggested of getting a gym buddy with a car.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I also have done the running in place thing, as well as fake jump roping. I just pretend like I'm jump roping, just without the rope. And about three times a week I'll do a body weight circuit afterwards. And I also usually do it while watching a tv show.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I had trouble finding time with a workout too (2 part-time jobs, full time student), I ended up just waking up earlier (around 4-6am, closer to sunrise if the dark is a problem for you) and jog to the gym. If you can't do that, then apartment gym seems to be the best bet, even if it isn't in good condition, it's all about how bad you want it I guess.
  • IvyWhispers
    IvyWhispers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I asked the people below me what time they generally woke up..then I started doing exercise videos about an hour after that time :')

as long as you make sure your not disturbing anyone it isn't a problem

I do this because I don't like our gym :') bunch of sports nuts wondering why you're in 'their' space -.-