Helping a friend with Fibro who needs to exercise

Options
Robin1117
Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
Hi there! i hope you don't mind me checking in with all of you. I'm a long-time member of the mfp community; I don't have fibro, but have a dear friend who suffers from fibro, as well as some trauma issues.

She was explaining to me how much she wants to stay in shape, and how sad she is for gaining weight in the last year. But basically whenever she does "too much" either her body shuts down. Or sometimes her brain kind of triggers and she gets migraines, and just can't really do anything.

We were wondering/discussing if heart rate may play into this---maybe certain exercises can be done safely to a certain intensity (that can be closely monitored), but not too high? And if so, what would they be? She had her long-time trainer tell her he can't help her anymore---he was out of ideas.

So what is a person like this to do? Is there some kind of fitness/exercise/medical professional who is trained to work with patients with fibro, and/or with trauma? Who would she even seek out?

I'd love her to join mfp, and will suggest it but think she needs to talk with someone really knowledgable about it really soon. Any feedback would be great--thanks for any help or support you can provide, so I can help her with this....Robin.

Replies

• tratracee123
    tratracee123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes Heart rate is a factor, it's best to stay below 145-150, especially when first starting exercise. Start with low impact low intensity and try to only work one body area at a time, eg just legs or just arms not both. Swiming and Aqua jogging are great, but make sure it is in a heated pool, the warmer the better, use a flutter board when swiming to reduce the exhaustion. When I first stated I tried to only do 20-30mins cardio, anymore than that was too much. For me things have got better I can do higher intensity exercises and workout for longer but it took awhile to get there. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
  • Robin1117
    Options
    thank you so much for your feedback. Interesting I keep seeing swimming coming up--I never would have thought of that.

I'm going to pass this along to her and let you know if we have any questions. So glad things have been better for you lately and that you are managing well now---how long did it take for you to progress--months? years?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I am 51, have had fibro for years and got to the point where I feared exercise due to the pain I'd have afterwards. You can compare it to being beaten and covered in bruises. My ribs actually feel like they are broken, even if I touch them myself. It's awful pain and unless you have it yourself, you have no idea how bad it is.
    I decided that I had to do something to lose weight, be healthier, etc. and I just started walking. Period. Walking slow enough to just enjoy the walk, yet I was doing something. At first the pain was horrible and all I was doing was walking for 30 minutes at 2mph. I would have to rub my legs afterwards because they would ache, cramp and burn for hours if I didn't. Once I found out how to relieve the pain, I kept walking. Then I set a goal to walk 'x' amount of miles for the year. Gradually the pain became less and less! It took me nearly 11 months and 1,000 miles but now I have finished C25K, I do water aerobics once a week to relax (lol) and Ive found that the pain is a lot less as long as I keep doing SOMETHING. Overdoing it is painful and I deal with it but that is what got me to where I am. She does NOT have to walk 1,000 miles, run a 5K or push herself to exhaustion. Walking alone will help her tremendously!
    I will also add that before I work out, I take Tramadol, drink 2 cups of coffee and eat a banana. I know I couldn't run without the pain meds but I know I've made progress. A year ago I couldn't walk for 2 minutes without getting my pulse up to 170. Now it takes me 20 minutes of walking fast to get it up to the 120's. I will also add that after I get runner's high, I can actually do floor exercises and stretching, that I could never do, even with pain meds! I feel like it is my own little miracle. :)
    I feel better, I've lost 40lbs and over 40 inches, here and there. I can do MUCH more than what I used to and what I do is much easier to do. For example, I painted a room in my house and I wasn't in agony for 2 days afterwards, like I would have been before.
    It can be done! Just get her out walking slowly, at her own pace for 20-30 minutes per day. If that is too much, have her do it every other day. Eventually she will see that she is making progress and feeling better and that will encourage her to do a bit more.
    <hugs> to you for being such an understanding and caring friend for her!
  • tratracee123
    tratracee123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for your feedback. Interesting I keep seeing swimming coming up--I never would have thought of that.

I'm going to pass this along to her and let you know if we have any questions. So glad things have been better for you lately and that you are managing well now---how long did it take for you to progress--months? years?

I think it must have taken taken months, however whenever I stop it is almost like starting from the beginning. The key is to keep moving. Also I agree with the meds part, taking meds before exercise makes it easier.
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    wow..thanks for bringing up the heart rate thing, i just know once mine hits 145 i get palpitations and feel horrible, water therapy/excercises are wonderful and just plain walking works great for me when able....start slow and increase slowly...takes time, but i see others who have fibro and have worked up to some good excercises, main key is to just stay moving...good luck!
  • Robin1117
    Options
    wow..thanks for bringing up the heart rate thing, i just know once mine hits 145 i get palpitations and feel horrible, water therapy/excercises are wonderful and just plain walking works great for me when able....start slow and increase slowly...takes time, but i see others who have fibro and have worked up to some good excercises, main key is to just stay moving...good luck!

thank you all so much--more information on heart rate is interesting. I so wish we had something where she could do the water/therapy/exercises. We live in a rural place and there aren't too many options on that front. You are all so hopeful though--I love this--it sounds like with some time, hopefully she will find something that works but just needs to be open to it. What I'm finding when I pass these ideas on to her is "I tried that back in xxxx year, or something like that", and I keep reiterating she's not really the same person she was back then, and even re- trying something again, just a little differently may have varying effects now vs. then.... anyway, such a tough thing.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I am 49 I gained ALOT of weight due to meds lack of exercise really any movement and comfort eating. I decided I was sick and tired of being sick and tired and joined MFP in july 2010 since then I have lost 108 lbs and feel like I have gotten my life back. I still have bad days but before i had a bad life , it was constant. i was falling asleep in mid-sentence, falling down constantly, I was in bed 3-4 days a week.
    when I first started i just got in the pool with the kids everyday for about 20 mins just walking in the water and doing a little bit of swimming. when it got too cold to get in the pool I started walking at first it was only 1/2 way around the block and with a cane. I slowly very slowly did more and more as time went on. I had to be careful because if I overdid it my body would shut down. Tell her to hang in there and you are an amazing friend
  • gavians
    gavians Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the best is low impact and take it easy. Start slow and only do what your body allows at any given time. But the key is to not give up. If you keep pushing through and repeating, it does get better. For me, I like to use an elliptical machine. I can catch up on my TV shows, don't need to worry about what I am wearing (at my home elliptical), and you still get a great workout with minimal impact on your joints.
  • jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yoga has helped some of my friends with fibro, especially with stretching and improving achy-ness.

Personally, my biggest point in helping me be able to exercise again was therapy. After studying my body's habits & responses for almost a year, I've been able to pinpoint what physical & mental stressors cause my fibro to flare. By learning how to limit anxiety/stress/etc. and know what my physical limitations are at this point, it has opened up my world to exercise again.

But definitely, don't push it in the beginning. It can and WILL be frustrating to people who are former athletes or like working out. However, the body needs time to adjust and build the physical and mental strength back up to exercise. Patience is key.

Good luck to your friend! <3