Would you be hurt if your SO thought others looked better?

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
Was talking with a coworker about how his woman will be the one that thinks he's the hottest man in the room. I didn't tell him, but this guy wasn't exactly "good looking," and I was hoping to plant a seed that would help him in the future, so I told him how many of my friends (and myself included) often fall for a man on more than just looks. That even if a man's looks are average his personality can really light our fire.

Then I went to Zumba, where most of the women are south American and their waists are smaller than one of my thighs (lol) and I wondered how I'd feel if BB walked in the room. These latinas aren't your American skinny no shape woman. They're tiny with big boobs and a nice amount of hip.

There's a part of me that would feel intimidated (would he be thinking how hot they were compared to me), but I would hope his love for me would cancel out any hots he was feeling for them. So I wouldn't let it bother me. Just like I hope he wouldn't let it bother him that I'm surrounded out here by TONS of special forces eye candy. Yeah, these guys have the muscles and tats and that tough guy attitude, but while they're fun to look at they, uh, "do" nothing for me.

Thinking back to the convo with my coworker, I wonder... would most people be offended if their SO acknowledged that someone else looks better? Do you find my mindset mature or am I, perhaps, exposing more of my "jerky" side...?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Thinking back to the convo with my coworker, I wonder... would most people be offended if their SO acknowledged that someone else looks better? Do you find my mindset mature or am I, perhaps, exposing more of my "jerky" side...?

i wouldnt be offended because physical beauty is pretty much subjective, so there will always be someone prettier and someone less pretty. maybe i would be more worried if the main reason a guy was with me was because of my looks (which will never ever happen :laugh: ), but i've never dated anyone that shallow. those guys tend to prune themselves very quickly

as for the mindset question, i find it easier to be self confident rather than continually compare and contrast myself with other people.

also i like how you're helping your coworker :smile:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    To me, there is always gonna be someone hotter than you. I think it's okay to acknowledge it, like I said, but no one needs to harp on it. It becomes a problem if the BF/GF is always staring at other people or making comments about others' hotness.

I would be offended if my guy said, "that girl is hotter than you," even if it's true and even if that is what I was thinking too. It just doesn't need to be said.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As long as he thought I was the most beautiful girl (because to me beauty is so much more than hot looks) I could care less who he thinks is hot or hotter. Of course, don't tell me that the hot girl who walked in is hotter than me! But as I've gotten older I have accepted there are hotter, younger, smarter, etc women than me but nobody else is me. That's what I want my SO to see in me.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You guys think about this?

EDIT: Listen, this posts reeks of unnecessary insecurity.

Do your man a favor and stop entertaining these thoughts.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    There are people hotter than me. And I am hotter than a lot of people. S'long as I get the goods at the end of the day we're solid.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options

Did you... even read the post?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

Yeah really.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Yeah really.

Ack checkmate.

Fair enough, reread and i retract my statement.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    To me, there is always gonna be someone hotter than you. I think it's okay to acknowledge it, like I said, but no one needs to harp on it. It becomes a problem if the BF/GF is always staring at other people or making comments about others' hotness.
    This is pretty much it.

As a man, though, you need to keep your eyes open to find the newer model when the current one is falling apart.
    Joking aside and slightly off topic, I'm wondering if relationships can only go one way after a while: getting "used to" the partner, feeling less "raw attraction" for the partner, losing that feeling of discovery and conquest - trading all of this of course for a deeper knowledge of the partner.
    All of this sounds a bit boring if you're not aspiring for a quiet, planned, predictable life (although arguably this life would present its own challenges too, but probably on a different scale).
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I always figure that men will look, I just better be the one they come home to.
    The reality is there are many attractive people in the world and humans like beauty..it catches our eye, men and women both.
    We can't stop that nor should we have to. But look don't touch!
    I certainly hope that if I ever end up with a partner that he will think I'm hot...but I would consider him delusional if he thought I was the hottest woman on earth. But I would hope my combination of looks and personality would be what keeps him coming back to me. And vice versa.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I would not care if a lady thought someone looked better then me,probably half the male population does.
    If she desired them more then me for whatever reasons then that would be an issue.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I tend to be the one when I am with a guy that will point out and go "OMG her boobs are awesome". I know I am not the best looking person in the room usually but I am confident in myself that I have no issue with it usually. As long as the guy I am with isn't acting out on it any an unusual way then I wouldn't have an issue with it.
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    My exhusband would openly check out girls when I was with him. It really made a dent in my self esteem. The young guy I was dating always made a point of saying that he had no interest in even looking at other girls, that his friends would check out the girls that came into work and he would just shake his head, which made me feel really good .. but then I felt like he was acknowledging that I suck, but he didn't care .. lol.

I just think that people need to be aware of your partners feelings and just be nice. There are so many games and crap that goes on that it gets old.

Answering that question .. yes I would be hurt, but I would also know in my head that there are other people that look way better than I. There is nothing that can be done about it and you can't spend your life worrying about it.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I openly acknowledge the bueaty of both sexes. I have and will continue to point out hot chicks to my man and to my man friends. I have no insecurities when it comes to that. I know Im not the hottest girl in the room but I'm probably the most confident, fun one. I will also check out a hot guy Im in a relationship not blind... For the women it bothers by your man some dark sun glasses and tell him to look without moving his head lol
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be. As Carl said, there's plenty of good looking, more in shape, fitter guys than me. It's just nature.
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options

I would be offended if my guy said, "that girl is hotter than you," even if it's true and even if that is what I was thinking too. It just doesn't need to be said.

^^^ Agreed. While I may not be the hottest girl in the room, I am me. Nobody else has the same personality and looks that makes me, me.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It's a competitive world out there.. so yes, there are going to be many, many better looking women out there. Most of the time, guys will look at an attractive women for a few seconds, think about it for another couple of seconds, and then completely forget out her. As long as he doesn't act on it, then I don't see any harm.

And put it in perspective.. would one of those 20 year old Spanish women w/ fake boobs and a killer butt be interested in your man in the first place? If not.. then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    It's a competitive world out there.. so yes, there are going to be many, many better looking women out there. Most of the time, guys will look at an attractive women for a few seconds, think about it for another couple of seconds, and then completely forget out her. As long as he doesn't act on it, then I don't see any harm.

And put it in perspective.. would one of those 20 year old Spanish women w/ fake boobs and a killer butt be interested in your man in the first place? If not.. then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Would you be so sanguine about your female partner looking at and thinking about a hotter guy while she's with you?
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Would you be so sanguine about your female partner looking at and thinking about a hotter guy while she's with you?

Absolutely.

I know there are many better looking men out there than me, so I have no problem with a women doing some window shopping. It's just human nature.

I have a very cavalier attitude when it comes to stuff like this.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Absolutely.

I know there are many better looking men out there than me, so I have no problem with a women doing some window shopping. It's just human nature.

I have a very cavalier attitude when it comes to stuff like this.

Fair enough. I'm with the majority on this. Feel free to admire discreetly, then remember all the other reasons you love me, and turn away. But for heavens' sake, don't make a regular thing of commenting on how 'hot' other women are in front of me. I wouldn't do it to you about other men, so extend me the same courtesy.