what does abstinence mean to you?

Options
Hello, I am completely new to OA (I attended my first meeting last night but I do plan to continue to attend meetings). I am still learning the terminology and traditions and steps of OA. I was stuck last night by the use of the term "abstinence." I think abstinence probably means different things to different people, and I am trying to come up with my own definition for me.

I think for me abstinence will mean:
1. no bingeing
2. no sneaking food
3. eating healthfully and mindfully

That being said, I'm wondering if abstinence can evolve over time. Eventually, I would like to give up soda and sugar, but I am not ready for that yet. I can't completely change my habits overnight, and I know this about myself.

If anyone has any advice or is willing to share his/her definition of "abstinence," I'd appreciate it! Thank you.

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    All the things you mentioned PLUS for me, eating under my calorie plan. Then there's some things that I have added into my "abstinence" routine - Did I exercise? I really think for me, total abstinence means under or on my cals, and doing exercise. Then I feel totally abstinent. Those cals mean a lot to me, a lot to my body. Also of course, no binging, no overeating. I haven't been for a few weeks.
  • rlinz123
    Options
    Thanks. Exercise is also really important to me, so I might try to incorporate it into my own definition of abstinence as well.
  • janesmith1
    Options
    YW :)

I'm here for you (((hugs)))

EDIT: Exercise also means just SIMPLE things: Did I walk to the store or ride my bike to the store? It doesn't have to mean anything big like - did I run today? I like running at home to videos (see my profile) but I haven't been doing that lately.

What I have been doing for exercise is walking or riding my bike to the grocery store, I have paniers, and I'm blessed to have a DH (dear husband) who has been enjoying walking with me or riding to the store to do exercise too. :)
  • DaphneMay81
    Options
    Welcome to OA :-)

As you said, abstinence will be different for everyone. I've found it hard to define, I started out with simply 'no bingeing', then I kept adding things to that and the list became longer and longer, at one point it looked something like: no bingeing, 3 meals a day and a snack, then 3 meals a day and no snack, then no sugar, no sugar and no flour, no eating after 8pm, etc... I was listening to OA podcasts and heard OAs talk who had 20 years or more of back to back abstinence and I wanted to be just as perfect as them.

It felt very restrictive and I was desperate to get my food 'under control'. I've since let go of that and I'm trying to have a more natural relationship with food (sorry if this sounds vague). Right now my abstinence means not bingeing, that's it, and MFP is one of the tools that helps me. Progress, not perfection.
  • rlinz123
    Options
    Thanks Jane and Devrid. Devrid, that is really helpful, when I heard the leader of our meeting talking about several years of abstinence -- and for him that meant no sugar, no wheat, 3 "clean" meals a day, it sounded really strict. I know that I can't just jump right into that from past experiences. I also want to have what you describe as a "natural' relationship with food (for me that means not obsessing about my weight, food, etc.).

Jane, that is great that your husband is supportive. What is paniers??? My wife is very supportive of my attempts to eat healthier and get more exercise. We have two small children and I work full time, so I find that the easiest time for me to workout is very early in the morning. It's HARD, but I'm trying to get up very early for two bootcamp classes plus a "fit walk" class each week. Occasionally I can get to the gym for a quick workout during my lunch break as well.
  • raggyanndoll
    Options
    This is a GREAT topic. Thanks for posting it. I have been in OA for 10 years (I celebrate my 10th OA birthday on Oct 17th) and one of the greatest changes I have seen is the addition of an action plan as a tool.

I personally think of abstinence as being free from food obsession or, if I have a day where the obsession is active, eat in a way that God would be happy with.

For my action plan, I think to myself, "What do I have to do to remain abstinent?" Because this disease involves spiritual, emotional, and physical parts, I make sure that my action plan includes something for all three.
  • MichelleOnWheels
    MichelleOnWheels Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My abstinence is not throwing up.

My food plan is 3 meals per day with 2 optional snacks. I am trying to not go under 300 calories less than MFP recommends.

I have been in program for 7 years. This is what is working for me today :)

Once in a while, if I see I am having a problem with a particular food or ingredient, I give it up for 30 days and reevaluate. So far I have not permanently given up any foods.

Thanks for the topic!
  • MsSueBee
    MsSueBee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been abstinent in OA for a little over three years. I see a difference between abstinence, a food plan, and a plan of action.

My abstinence is no sugary stuff (cookies, candy, cakes, etc.) and no peanut butter. My abstinence is black & white. I don't change my abstinence without talking to my sponsor.

My food plan is lots of fruits and veggies; keeping white flower to a minimum; eating legumes, nuts & seeds; whole grains; no junk food; and keeping track of my food. My food plan has evolved over time to be healthier and healthier. There is plenty of room for imperfection and change in my food plan.

My action plan includes regular exercise, calling my food in to my sponsor on a daily basis, attending meetings, sponsoring others, reading my OA literature & doing my spiritual reading each day, etc.

Hope this helps!
  • janesmith1
    Options
    Thanks Jane and Devrid. Devrid, that is really helpful, when I heard the leader of our meeting talking about several years of abstinence -- and for him that meant no sugar, no wheat, 3 "clean" meals a day, it sounded really strict. I know that I can't just jump right into that from past experiences. I also want to have what you describe as a "natural' relationship with food (for me that means not obsessing about my weight, food, etc.).

Jane, that is great that your husband is supportive. What is paniers??? My wife is very supportive of my attempts to eat healthier and get more exercise. We have two small children and I work full time, so I find that the easiest time for me to workout is very early in the morning. It's HARD, but I'm trying to get up very early for two bootcamp classes plus a "fit walk" class each week. Occasionally I can get to the gym for a quick workout during my lunch break as well.

Bike Panniers
    http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Metro-Panniers-Cubic-Inch-Capacity/dp/B00165Q90I/ref=sr_1_3?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1349675776&sr=1-3
  • rlinz123
    Options
    Ah, cool. Thanks.
  • rlinz123
    Options
    Thank you everyone for sharing! This is all really useful and interesting information. I'm glad to see that abstinence is personal for each individual and C3SueBee, your explanation of the difference between abstinence, a food plan, and an action plan is also really useful.
  • kimimila86
    Options
    Hi,

I have been abstinent in OA for a little over three years. I see a difference between abstinence, a food plan, and a plan of action.

My abstinence is no sugary stuff (cookies, candy, cakes, etc.) and no peanut butter. My abstinence is black & white. I don't change my abstinence without talking to my sponsor.

My food plan is lots of fruits and veggies; keeping white flower to a minimum; eating legumes, nuts & seeds; whole grains; no junk food; and keeping track of my food. My food plan has evolved over time to be healthier and healthier. There is plenty of room for imperfection and change in my food plan.

My action plan includes regular exercise, calling my food in to my sponsor on a daily basis, attending meetings, sponsoring others, reading my OA literature & doing my spiritual reading each day, etc.

Hope this helps!

I can't express how helpful this post was! Thank you.
  • JennyRN70
    Options
    Well I have only been abstinent for 1 week and as one of the previous forum members stated it is black and white for me too. I do the 3 meals per day, I log into myfitnesspal, I exercise by walking 4 times a week. I have to get a sponsor at my meeting tonight so I am sure there will be some extra to add on to this - oh yes and no fast food or junk food for me. So far so good :)
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My definition of abstinence is; abstaining from eating beyond my satisfaction level and into discomfort and regret. I've binged 'mostly on chips' but on anything from carrots to healthy meats. For me it's about the out of control, uncounscious aspect of the eating that I am most concerned about.
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My definition of abstinence is; abstaining from eating beyond my satisfaction level and into discomfort and regret.

I REALLY like this. May I adopt it?
  • wilmawm
    wilmawm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's so helpful hearing how others define abstinence!

My definition is no seconds (which precludes binging) and only eat foods that have some redeeming nutritional value.

I was abstinent for 9 months (May 2011 through Jan 2012) but have been struggling with it off and on since. On the plus side, thanks to OA, my binges have been at most days rather than years.
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My definition of abstinence is; abstaining from eating beyond my satisfaction level and into discomfort and regret.

I REALLY like this. May I adopt it?

Absolutely if you feel the same way .
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    *incredibly* helpful post! Thank you for bringing this up.

As a very, very, very new newbie... my abstinence is still extremely black and white. I don't feel strong enough yet to allow any kind of wiggle room. No trigger foods. Nothing but water to drink. Eat one serving size. Only one. Log every bite. 3 days exercise, 1 day rest, repeat.

Seems kind of fanatical when I see it all in print like that. But I am binge-free since 9/10/12... so fanatical must be working for me. :)
  • jessiekanga
    jessiekanga Posts: 564 Member
    Options

Seems kind of fanatical when I see it all in print like that. But I am binge-free since 9/10/12... so fanatical must be working for me. :)

You won't find any judgment here! I should say "from me", sometimes some responses can be a bit judgmental:(. However, I think we need to find what works for us. It would be lovely if we all had a natural relationship with food, our hunger and our bodies. But, if I had that, I wouldn't be in this mess, or need this group. My understanding of abstinence and my relationship with food continues to evolve. I'm also sure there are times, usually when I see my calorie count too high, that I feel I "fell off the wagon." At times I still wish for an easier method of "sobriety". It sounds like you're finding something that is working for you. I'd say go with it,at least for a time, and see how it works for you.
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This is such a great topic! While I haven't yet sat down to "outline" a specific plan, I can tell when I'm off the mark. There is a tough process that sneaks over me ... there is an internal conversation that happens that leads me down the dark road. It's the voice that says "take that bite".

What does abstinence mean to me? Freedom. Peace. Release of obsession.

Abstinence is a very good thing worth surrendering for ...
    :flowerforyou: