Winter commuting...

Options
cloggsy71
cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
I saw this on cyclechat.net and had to pinch it...

IF you can keep your saddle when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on the weather,
If you can trust yourself when all work colleagues doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait at the lights and not be withered by the pouring rain,
Or being tired, don't deal in tiredness,
Or being cold, don't give way to chills,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream of the Sun - and not make dreaming your master;
If you can ride - and not make commuting your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by trolls to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the tyres you gave your air to, punctured,
And stoop and build 'em up with far too many tools:

Then the road is yours and everything that’s in it
And what’s more, you’ll be a cyclist my friend

So, if you're still commuting on these dark chilly days, then well done to you.
We may disagree, we may argue, we may fall out but I respect you one and all!

Big up the winter commuters, you know who you are!!!

Replies

• Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Dig it.

Luckily, it's only been cold (like 18F this AM) and not particularly nasty, but I still plan to ride as long as physically possible. Besides, I don't want to break my streak! (44 days and counting, 100% since (9/12) Folks at my last job were no longer surprised when I rode to work, in fact, they were shocked when I didn't. :happy:
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Very cool. But seriously, can someone recommend a good winter tire option for my roadie?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    I did my share of all year round commuting years ago - something like 9 years of 5 days a week 15 miles each way - lost count of the number of bikes/wheels etc I trashed in the process, and frankly, I don't miss it one bit. But even then, I knew it was far better than driving into work - I used to look at the rest of them rolling into the office, still half asleep and think "good god, and they DROVE in that state!!" One thing I could always rely on was that I was alert, wide awake and ready to rock - once I'd dried off, changed and thawed out my fingers around a mug of coffee or 3...

...of course, this was probably 20 years ago, and the levels of traffic were probably an awful lot lighter than they are now - so you guys out there riding daily have my complete respect.

Just be careful out there.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Very cool. But seriously, can someone recommend a good winter tire option for my roadie?

Depends what clearence the bike has - if you've room for 28mm's then the continental grand prix 4 seasons are excellent tyres.

For frames with a little less clearance, my personal favourite is the Vittoria Open Pave CG's - they're nominally a 24mm tyre, but seem to be the same width as a 23mm only a little taller in cross section - as befits a tyre built on the same premise as the Vittoria Pave CG Tubulars - as designed for racing on the flemish cobbles and rather popular for races like Paris-Roubaix.
  • dtpss188
    Options
    I just added fenders tonight!!! Is it demented to say I can't wait for the next rain storm?
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

I've just bought some Schwalbe Durano's (700x25); a bit heavier than normal road tyres because of the added puncture protection. The last thing I want to be doing is stood at the side of an unlit road, freezing, trying to fix a puncture or replace a tube...

Plus they're a lot lighter than the Schwalbe Marathon Plus' I initially bought for my old commuter! :tongue:
  • Les_Lamb57
    Les_Lamb57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Continental Gatorskins. No punctures in at least 6 months (3500 miles.) on a mix of country lanes and main roads.
    Excellent.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Not going to mention 'the p word' but I haven't had any on my Bontrager All Weather tires! And this is their second season! :happy:
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am new to Winter commuting. it is cold and I have learned layers are important. My favorite things about commuting are the energy I get from riding early in the morning, the fun of trying to make it home before dark (like a race), and since about 1/3rd of my ride is through a park I get to enjoy the beauty of nature shimmering with frost and deer staring at me! I love it and think I would take these cold winter days over sufficating humidity and 100 degree weather we had this summer any day. (we will see how I feel about it in another month..):love: