My Surgery Reveal Note

Options
I was very worried about telling my friends and family that I will be having the Gastric Bypass RNY surgery performed this month, and I figured that there may be others who are also anxious about letting people know, so I wanted to share the note I sent to my friends and family on Facebook to inform them, I hope this can help even one person.

So I have something I want to share with you, because I feel like you are someone who would want me to do what's best for me, and because I want to see how you react... I have been keeping it to myself as I am afraid of peoples' reactions and I hope you will keep it to yourself until I am ready to let my loved ones know myself. When I go in for surgery November 29th I am not only going to have my gallbladder removed, I am going in to have the RNY Gastric Bypass surgery performed.

RNY is performed by cutting the stomach in two sections, removing one section and leaving the other smaller section to be attached to my intestines and be made a fully functioning but smaller stomach. This procedure will help me to lose my excess weight, many people lose 60% Contrary to popular belief having this surgery performed doesn't take all of the hard work out of weight loss... not only was I required to lose 20% of my excess weight before being approved, but I will have to continue dieting and exercising just like everyone else.

I have made this decision not only for myself, but for my family. The moment I saw my son I knew I had to do something NOW so that I will be around to raise him and see all of the amazing things he will do. I deserve to be happy and healthy, and it is my belief that having this procedure will be the tool I need to help me get there. I hope that I have your support, acceptance and understanding, should you have any questions please feel free to ask... I have already made my decision, I am not asking for permission, only acceptance.. please pray that the surgery will be successful without any complications, and if you find yourself in complete disagreement with my decision, please feel free to delete yourself from my friends list, and from my life.... if you don't love me enough to let me be healthy then you don't deserve to be in my life.

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was very worried about telling my friends and family that I will be having the Gastric Bypass RNY surgery performed this month, and I figured that there may be others who are also anxious about letting people know, so I wanted to share the note I sent to my friends and family on Facebook to inform them, I hope this can help even one person.

So I have something I want to share with you, because I feel like you are someone who would want me to do what's best for me, and because I want to see how you react... I have been keeping it to myself as I am afraid of peoples' reactions and I hope you will keep it to yourself until I am ready to let my loved ones know myself. When I go in for surgery November 29th I am not only going to have my gallbladder removed, I am going in to have the RNY Gastric Bypass surgery performed.

RNY is performed by cutting the stomach in two sections, removing one section and leaving the other smaller section to be attached to my intestines and be made a fully functioning but smaller stomach. This procedure will help me to lose my excess weight, many people lose 60% Contrary to popular belief having this surgery performed doesn't take all of the hard work out of weight loss... not only was I required to lose 20% of my excess weight before being approved, but I will have to continue dieting and exercising just like everyone else.

I have made this decision not only for myself, but for my family. The moment I saw my son I knew I had to do something NOW so that I will be around to raise him and see all of the amazing things he will do. I deserve to be happy and healthy, and it is my belief that having this procedure will be the tool I need to help me get there. I hope that I have your support, acceptance and understanding, should you have any questions please feel free to ask... I have already made my decision, I am not asking for permission, only acceptance.. please pray that the surgery will be successful without any complications, and if you find yourself in complete disagreement with my decision, please feel free to delete yourself from my friends list, and from my life.... if you don't love me enough to let me be healthy then you don't deserve to be in my life.

Congrats on your decision to let your loved ones know what is going on in your life. Those who care for us understand that we wouldn't go through this if it was not necessary. The health benefits far outweigh the cosmetic results. Yes, it's a plus to look better, but it is so much more to feel better and know that you have gotten your life back. ((Hugs!))
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Congrats on your decision to let your loved ones know what is going on in your life. Those who care for us understand that we wouldn't go through this if it was not necessary. The health benefits far outweigh the cosmetic results. Yes, it's a plus to look better, but it is so much more to feel better and know that you have gotten your life back. ((Hugs!))

Thank you! And, actually, when I think about it, for many people they don't look better. For the very heavy and for the older patients there is large amounts of sagging skin, and many women lose their butts and boobs! Granted there are surgical procedures to fix much of that, procedures that many of us cannot afford and insurance will not cover... I almost didn't go through with it knowing that I may very well look worse than I do now... but in this last year, since my pregnancy, my health has been declining, and at just 21 years old I am not willing to risk having something happen to me... its time.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Thank you! And, actually, when I think about it, for many people they don't look better. For the very heavy and for the older patients there is large amounts of sagging skin, and many women lose their butts and boobs! Granted there are surgical procedures to fix much of that, procedures that many of us cannot afford and insurance will not cover... I almost didn't go through with it knowing that I may very well look worse than I do now... but in this last year, since my pregnancy, my health has been declining, and at just 21 years old I am not willing to risk having something happen to me... its time.

My kids are already calling me "No butt" (They can get away with it--they are 23, 21, and 20.) As for the boobs, please, please, let them shrink. Lol
  • karen_golfs
    karen_golfs Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wonderfully worded statement. I wish you only the best of luck.
  • Wellypeep
    Options
    I think that is a really well worded message and I hope that you receive all the support you deserve from your loved ones :)

My own experience has been that everyone I've told has been really supportive. I made a decision to tell everyone about it - colleagues, friends, family members. I'm really proud of the positive decision I have made to improve my health and I haven't had one negative comment so far (although I've been ready for them!).

Good luck with your operation!!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have told only a few people outside my family. I thought about it and told my two oldest friends. One - so supportive and happy for me. The other - well I don't hear from her alot. Two opposite reactions. My stepdaughters asked me not to do it but - they told me they loved me and would support me in whatever I decided. My husband worries but is so so supportive. The other half dozen friends I have told have all be happy and ready to support me.

I feel that I will tell people some day - just don't feel anyone needs to know my business. I love your message. it is well written and so informative. I also agree - if they can't support you - then they really are not your friends.

Congrats on your surgery and you will do great!!!
  • Pearliture
    Options
    Congrats, and good luck ! I was able to tell a lot of my friends and family this last week about my plans to have gastric bypass this last Monday by faceboook also. Since doing this a huge burden was lifted and my stress has reduced. I was so worried that people would be very judgemental I received the exact opposite nothing but well wishes, encouragement, and most of all support.
    It was the best decision that I have made since stating on my journey,
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Anyone that has asked me how I have lost so much weight I have told. Its too hard to "lie" and then remember who knows and who doesn't. Besides, I am damn proud of myself for taking my obesity seriously enough to go under the knife, and I feel that I am setting a good example for the procedure by eating healthy every day and living life much healthier! Good luck to you and wish you much success!!
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    I think that is a really well worded message and I hope that you receive all the support you deserve from your loved ones :)

My own experience has been that everyone I've told has been really supportive. I made a decision to tell everyone about it - colleagues, friends, family members. I'm really proud of the positive decision I have made to improve my health and I haven't had one negative comment so far (although I've been ready for them!).

Good luck with your operation!!

Thank you very much! Unfortunately I come from a culturally and morally mixed family so it presents its difficulties, but I am secure in my decision and I have no reason to let anyone's opinions hold me back, they arent the ones who have to live in this body.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Options
    Good for you! Anyone that has asked me how I have lost so much weight I have told. Its too hard to "lie" and then remember who knows and who doesn't. Besides, I am damn proud of myself for taking my obesity seriously enough to go under the knife, and I feel that I am setting a good example for the procedure by eating healthy every day and living life much healthier! Good luck to you and wish you much success!!

Thank you! And it's the way I see it as well, obesity is a serious issue and sometimes it needs serious solutions... I am fortunate to have insurance and the means to do this for myself and not taking the opportunity would be a real shame. Congratulations on all of your success!
  • Wellypeep
    Options
    Yes, it can be hard with families. My poor Dad, who is 80, constantly went from 'that's a great thing you're doing!' to 'Oh my gosh, you're going to die on the operating table!' depending on what he had seen on television that day, bless him! I just had to speak to him about it and be honest that there is a very small risk of dying but nothing compared to the huge risks of continuing to be as morbidly obese as I was. I also understood that the whole 'you might die' thing was just his concern and love for me.

You're absolutely right though - it's your body, your health and your decision at the end of the day. Hopefully people can support you in your path but you sound strong enough to get through regardless :)