How long do the hot flashes last?

kimiel51
kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
I know that every woman is different, but on average, how long do these darn hot flashes last?

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Totally personal, and I think it also matters whether you are able to go thru menopause naturally or thrust into it by hysterectomy or radiation/chemo or some other hormonal shock.

I had a hysterectomy a little over 9 years ago and started having flashes about 3 years ago. I go thru periods when they are very infrequent, but they certainly haven't stopped. I'm taking compounded progesterone and I also take a supplement that includes black cohosh both of which I believe help, but I still have flashes, and I've lost 40+ lbs. in the last almost 2 years. I'm 47 and had the hysterectomy because of endometriosis.
  • you are correct that every woman is different. I had my hysterectomy 9 years ago and my hot flashes began about two months after my surgery. Currently, my hotflashes have slowed way down, but I still get them peiodically.
  • geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    For me they seem to go in phases. I finished with Peri about two years ago, and have noticed I get more of them now if I am stressed.