I'm sleep deprived! Argh

I'm very perimenopausal and suffer from sleep deprivation. I either can't sleep at all or doze off for about an hour then wake up and can't get back to sleep. Does anyone else have this prob. I read it was a hormone thing. Any strategies besides taking pills, which I would like to avoid.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I hear you.

For me bioidentical progesterone was helpful. I sleep now, at least.
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    I am sleep deprived too! I have a fan going in my room, sleep with a sheet and a light blanket (hot flushes and night sweats!)
    I wake up almost every hour to pee or because I hear a noise or have a nightmare etc etc. So I can't tell you what works but what feels like it helps me cope is having a spa or hot bath a couple of hours before sleep, getting lots of exercise that day and meditation (which I also think helps my chronic pain issues).
  • :happy: Thank you. I'll look into these options!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    sigh, me too,,, been up since 2 am today,,,,
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Compounded progesterone cream has helped me to sleep about 6.5 to 7 hours a night when before I was averaging about 5, but stress and peeing in the middle of the night can still make it more like 6 some nights. According to my bodymedia, I'm averaging right at 6.5 a night, tho.
  • smv123abc
    smv123abc Posts: 10 Member
    The pill to try is Benedryl. Has HCI in it but nothing else and it won't hurt you!:yawn:
  • I'm very perimenopausal and suffer from sleep deprivation. I either can't sleep at all or doze off for about an hour then wake up and can't get back to sleep. Does anyone else have this prob. I read it was a hormone thing. Any strategies besides taking pills, which I would like to avoid.

Becoming sleep deprived is very frustrating, I've been sleep deprived ever since I've been in and past menopause. I have about 4-5 hours of good sleep and after that, its awfull! There are time I have a glass of red wine or camomille tea, they both work great. Taking a hot bath and doing relaxing exercises helps.
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    I hear you.. I EAT at night when I can't sleep too so.. double YIKES !! I think the Sleepy Time tea is the best.. Changed my routine the past 3 night.. seems to help too. Tea, a hot shower, then staight to bed. If I do anything in-between I am WIDE awake for hours.
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Sleep deprived? OMG yes!!! In fact, it's my worst menopausal issue by far... hot flashes are nothing by comparison. I've tried just about every natural therapy known to mankind (including wine) and nothing has helped much.

Interestingly, I just started taking SAM-e (S-adenosylmethionine), a naturally-occurring substance that's supposed to treat mild depression caused by long. cold winters and dark days. ANYWAY, a very unexpected "side effect" seems to be that it's helped with my insomnia!!! From what I've read, this effect is not typical but this has been my experience.

If you do decide to try it, make sure you take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, about 30 minutes before you eat breakfast. Also, start at a low dose (200 mg) and increase from there as required.

GOOD LUCK!
  • geecee77
    geecee77 Posts: 149 Member
    I have found that if I wake, then don't put on the TV or open up the laptop as I am awake for hours then. Instead I read or do some sudoku puzzles and I soon nod off again - just wish I had discovered this years ago!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I have always been a good sleeper. But the last couple of weeks I have been waking up at night hot. I keep the house cool at night and normally sleep with warm blankets. Is this the sign of things to come? I'll sleep about 4 hours and wake up and throw the blankets off and just keep the sheet. Eventually I fall back asleep and then I get cold and have to reach for the blankets again.
  • My problem turned out to be sleep apnea NOT menopause like I thought. Took me several years to find that out.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Can you sleep during the day? Some people have success with bi-phasic sleep as they get older. I gave it a try last winter due to schedule issues (school during the day and work at night) splitting my sleeps into two phases-- four hours at night and four hours (ish) during the day.

It was frustrating to feel so tired twice a day instead of just at night, but I was able to continue to work and still managed straight A's in school.

I am now working 8-5 M-F so I can't do that kind of sleep schedule anymore. Now I use melatonin supplements, but find my natural circadian rhythms are slightly later in the day than my work schedule allows. Melatonin helps me fall asleep earlier, so I can wake early enough to get to work on time. But I'm still only able to get 6 hours or so a night due to being a natural night owl.
  • I am sleep deprived too. I usually go to sleep ok, but if something wakes me up, or someone, like husband getting up, in the middle of the night, I cant go back to sleep......I have heard that not getting enough sleep, can make you gain weight, so that concerns me too!
  • smv123abc
    smv123abc Posts: 10 Member
    You can try L-tryptophan which is an herb and if you get desperate take 1 Benadryl. It won't do anything but clear up your nose!

Also Dr. Oz has a segment on sleep. When you figure out which one you are, you can eat the right foods!
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Oh my, do I agree that sleep deprivation is the WORST. I also think the progesterone has helped somewhat, but I still have a couple sleep interrupted nights a week. I feel lucky if I can get back to sleep...

I have also started taking 5 HTP at night. It is supposed to help, whether it has or not, I just can't tell anymore. I am starting to feel like this is just the way it is going to be.

Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    You can try L-tryptophan which is an herb and if you get desperate take 1 Benadryl. It won't do anything but clear up your nose!

Also Dr. Oz has a segment on sleep. When you figure out which one you are, you can eat the right foods!
    Yup. I've used the benadryl. Have a big bottle of costco benadryl for just those nights.

For me four nights straight before my supposed period (which sometimes comes and sometimes doesn't) I lie and grit my teeth, sweat, and clench my muscles all night.

And then 2-3 nights every week, I fall asleep, wake up at 1 or 2 and then lie there for a few hours.

Good times.

The progesterone has helped.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    I have been using a product called Midnite that actually seems to work for me. I can't believe it but it actually does help.
    I think I'll probably need something a bit more effective down the road, meaning bio-identical hormones, but for now, I'll take it!
    http://www.drugstore.com/midnite-for-menopause-chewable-tablets-berry/qxp354125
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    I have no good non-medication answer for you, other than falling into bed exhausted every night.

But, on to the most important part of this thread:

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE GETTING UP TO PEE EVERY NIGHT!!

Oh joy, I'm skipping through a field of poppies....

fn7ngj.jpg

Oh hey! Opium would help us all sleep...

ajv77r.jpg

So, the answer is opium! :bigsmile:
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 503 Member
    Hells yes, I absolutely agree! Opium is the answer. Opium den near by? Not so much.