Runtastic= not impressed

Options
miche_smash
miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
Before starting up with MFP I was using an app called Noom which is a basic diet/exercise tracker that also has a really good GPS feature. I never had a problem with it. Now that I'm on MFP I've tried the GPS feature on Runtastic twice. The other day I had no problems but today it couldn't find me via GPS even though it is a perfectly sunny day! I'm glad I mapped my route ahead of time and at least the timer worked so I know roughly how far I went but I like to know my exact distance, my average pace, etc.

In the near future I'll be looking to get a GPS watch but in the meantime my runs are not too long so I don't mind carrying my phone with me. Any suggestions on other apps that might work? I'm disappointed because I like that Runtastic syncs up with MFP but I won't be using it if it doesn't work, even after closing and restarting it!

Replies

• rtbrown82
    rtbrown82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    nike and runkeeper are easy to use and on apple and droid.

I know a lot of people use Endomondo and it apparently sinks.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I like iSmoothRun. It syncs with RunKeeper and a lot of other social sites.

Pam
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    What sometimes works for me to get the GPS to connect in Runtastic is to open another app that uses the GPS (your maps for example). Runtastic will then acquire the GPS faster once it is already in use somewhere else. It is a clumsy workaround, but at least then you can still integrate with MFP.
  • tr33p1g
    Options
    I use Runtastic on iPhone with no issues, its a great app and one of the best running apps I've tried. What phone do you use?
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I've been using endomondo for several months now and the only times I've GPS connection issues were when I was running in thick trees or in thunder storms. The good part about it was that I was able to go in and edit the mileage and map after I finished.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    What sometimes works for me to get the GPS to connect in Runtastic is to open another app that uses the GPS (your maps for example). Runtastic will then acquire the GPS faster once it is already in use somewhere else. It is a clumsy workaround, but at least then you can still integrate with MFP.

Good idea! Thanks for the tip!
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have an HTC Inspire... so it could have been an issue with my phone too!
    Thanks for the advice!!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I used Endomondo and have nothing but great things to say about it. I have tested a few different GPS running apps and i think Endomondo is the best one hands down, and it links to MFP.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+running and love it. It is very accurate and works wonderfully on my Iphone which I wear on my arm while running. No muss, no fuss, and low volume tunes to run with!