Hello, new from Metro Atlanta

Options
tracy1344
tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
Hi, my name is Tracy and I'm a wife and mom of four...daughter 21, son 13, daughter 8 and son 6. My sister told me about myfitnesspal today while I was talking to her about how my weight loss has been so slow. I'm thinking my carbs have been too high (to many roasted carrots, sweet potatoes, bananas and winter squash). I started tracking my foods today. I had no idea the site also had a message board. I'm so excited! I look forward to getting to know other's that have adopted a Primal/Paleo lifestyle and also have weight loss goals. I have another 83 lbs to lose.

-Tracy

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hey Tracy. Nice to met you. I'm Howl; experimenter of recipes, doer of strange things and long time video gamer. I enjoy swinging sharp sticks, long walks at midnight and seeing interesting animals. Last night, for example, I was enjoying a stroll at the beach when I came across a jelly fish- which I proceeded to stab with a sharp stick. Hate those things.
    Pleasure to meet you! :) Feel free to add me, and just ask if you want advice on anything.

Speaking of which...

You're just about to head into Winter, no? If you are... I seriously reccommend *against* lowering your carbs too much. Srsly. You'd be amazed at how warming those starches you mentioned are. Low carb tends to make you very, very cold. You don't want that in Winter, IMO.
  • tracy1344
    Options
    Hey Tracy. Nice to met you. I'm Howl; experimenter of recipes, doer of strange things and long time video gamer. I enjoy swinging sharp sticks, long walks at midnight and seeing interesting animals. Last night, for example, I was enjoying a stroll at the beach when I came across a jelly fish- which I proceeded to stab with a sharp stick. Hate those things.
    Pleasure to meet you! :) Feel free to add me, and just ask if you want advice on anything.

Speaking of which...

You're just about to head into Winter, no? If you are... I seriously reccommend *against* lowering your carbs too much. Srsly. You'd be amazed at how warming those starches you mentioned are. Low carb tends to make you very, very cold. You don't want that in Winter, IMO.

lol, lucky that you had a stick with you last night.

It's suppose to be a colder winter here than usual. Thanks for the heads up about low carb and cold shivers. I'll take my chances for now though, cause I really really want to lose some weight. You see, my younger sister is now smaller than me...much smaller! I was always the smallest until this past year. I can't change the fact that I'm older, but I don't have to be both older and larger. :laugh:
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! It looks like you already have things well underway if you have done a Whole30 and the other changes you mention on your profile. If you are looking to move the weight then getting the carbs down seems to be the key - check also how much fruit you are eating, lots of carbs there too. Enjoy the journey :-)
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Welcome Tracy!

I am some what new to this paleo/primal but I like it. If I stick with pretty low carbs I have no problems being hungry or even wanting those things I shouldn't eat.

I live in Stockbridge - Nice to meet ya. I'll send a friend request.

I wanted to mention a neat feature on here that you can set you macros to be more to your liking. Go to My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom. I have mine set for 55% fat, 20% carb and 25% protein on a bout a 1600 calorie.

Good luck!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and to this group.

I've been primal since July and love it. I don't eat more carbs in winter, but I'm cold all the time anyway, and I was on a regular diet too. Besides, I like fleeces... I live in Colorado, so it's sort of a fashion must. I just eat soup, drink coffee, and stick my cold toes on my 2 little boys to warm up. :smile:
  • tracy1344
    Options
    Welcome to the community! It looks like you already have things well underway if you have done a Whole30 and the other changes you mention on your profile. If you are looking to move the weight then getting the carbs down seems to be the key - check also how much fruit you are eating, lots of carbs there too. Enjoy the journey :-)

Yes, I'm pretty comfortable with how to "do" paleo. I started reading Mark's Daily Apple about a year before my husband and I adopted the lifestyle. We both kept cheating to much with primal, which is why we did a Whole30. It helped break food habits. I try stay more towards the paleo and W30 end of eating. It's too easy for me to go off roading and stay in the mud if I don't. My husband and kids are in the Primal camp.

I've def been eating too much fruit and to many nuts. Having to log what I eat is making me stop and think before putting anything in my mouth.
  • tracy1344
    Options
    Welcome Tracy!

I am some what new to this paleo/primal but I like it. If I stick with pretty low carbs I have no problems being hungry or even wanting those things I shouldn't eat.

I live in Stockbridge - Nice to meet ya. I'll send a friend request.

I wanted to mention a neat feature on here that you can set you macros to be more to your liking. Go to My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom. I have mine set for 55% fat, 20% carb and 25% protein on a bout a 1600 calorie.

Good luck!

Stockbridge huh? We are practically neighbors, lol. Nice to meet somebody in the metro area.

Thanks for telling me how to set my macros. I've set mine to 15% carbs, 55% fat and 30% protein.
  • tracy1344
    Options
    and stick my cold toes on my 2 little boys to warm up. :smile:

lol, my boys are so warm to the touch...they are like heating pads. I love it!
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello Tracy........I am Petra and I have been doing Primal since June and I am at present doing a Whole 30, and I also lean more towards Paleo, however I miss Cheese big time.....but in the beginning I ate way to much Fruit and Nuts as well, and I made tons and tons of mistakes, but I am slowly learning and I have received much needed and good advice on this board, so feel free to add me as a friend.
  • tracy1344
    Options
    Hello Tracy........I am Petra and I have been doing Primal since June and I am at present doing a Whole 30, and I also lean more towards Paleo, however I miss Cheese big time.....but in the beginning I ate way to much Fruit and Nuts as well, and I made tons and tons of mistakes, but I am slowly learning and I have received much needed and good advice on this board, so feel free to add me as a friend.

Best of luck on your Whole30! They have a message board that is a great help while you are doing it. Very friendly people over there as well. http://forum.whole9life.com/
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I am pretty new here too! I have been primal for a month or month and a half. I look forward to making this a lifestyle! I have a toddler and preschooler, and I work full time. Look forward to hearing from you and feel free to add me.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to the group to but welcome!

I'm curious why you are saying you are eating to many nuts? I was under the impression that they were a big green light.
  • tracy1344
    Options
    I'm curious why you are saying you are eating to many nuts? I was under the impression that they were a big green light.

They are good, but slow my weight loss when I eat to many. Not much self-control with nuts.