W5D1 ...

Options
78nSunny
78nSunny Posts: 43 Member
Looking at the schedule for the week I was kinda intimidated by the last run of 20 mins, but after todays walk/run I am kinda looking foward to it. I purchased a new pair of Ascis Gel Nimbus running shoes and what a differance that makes!!! I am feeling so good that I signed up for the "Turkeyday Run and Gobble Wobble" 5K on the 22nd of November. (will be W8D2 but I figure "Close Enough").

Replies

• BertoJG
    BertoJG Posts: 27
    Options
    Congratulations! I am 3 weeks behind you, but I look forward to the next few weeks.

Robert
  • JanisAtki
    JanisAtki Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    W5D1 tomorrow. Wish me luck this week but I think I'm prepared. I just put my hand up for a half marathon in Oct next year. I'll have to find a few 5 and 10ks between then and now to keep me motivated.
  • smcwilliams516
    smcwilliams516 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am W5D3 today, a little nervous, but also excited to see me conquer this!! Good luck this week, we got this :)
  • JanisAtki
    JanisAtki Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    How did you go?
    I deliberately slowed my W5D1 jog pace yesterday and went through my music to find beats that I could use to keep with that slower pace in prep for tomorrow and then the biggie on Friday. I'm excited.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is w5d3... I'd love to hear how people felt before they did the run vs after they did the run. I've jogged before for an extended time (15+ minutes) but that was in the cool and it was my choice to keep jogging. It's coming on summer here and our running track has 2 hills in it... Feeling pretty confident after yesterday's run though.
  • brewstar10
    brewstar10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was nervous about W5D3 all week. I made a special playlist, had my wife walk the dog so I didn't have to take him, and constantly said, "I don't know if I can do this." I was psyching myself out long before I even put my shoes on. Well after my 5 minute warm up, I started and just kept focused and kept going. I ended up finishing the 20 minutes without stopping, ran through the 5 minute cool down and half of another song for a total of 28 minutes straight. I did this only to prove to myself that I can do this and that I'm not in over my head. The way I was thinking I had been defeated before I even began. I realize now that I AM cut out for this running thing and not to doubt myself ever again. I may fail at something, but if I think like I did last week than I am going to fail at it twice.
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I begin week 5. A little nervous but going in with the attitude that I can accomplish this
  • skinnygeekwithin
    skinnygeekwithin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Pixie, I just did Week 5 Day 1 today too. We can do this!

I'm also very nervous about D3. Heck I'm even nervous about D2.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Will be doing W5D1 today. Am a bit nervous but determined to do it. This entire week is a bit intimidating but we can do it. We're determined and get so much encouragement here.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    W5D1 done!
  • hlsc
    hlsc Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I did W5D1 today! I could feel how hot my face was after the second 5 minute run, but I recovered in time and was able to do the third 5 minutes to finish it up. HOORAY!!!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Yay, hisc!!!!! You're doing great!

When are you doing Day 2? I'm doing it tomorrow......wish me luck......
  • Ms_Pixie
    Ms_Pixie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Good luck Plex!
    Not that you'll need it - pretty sure you'll smash it lol.. Day 3 for me today, hoping I can keep my motivation/ energy up till it's time for my run this afternoon, there's just soooo much going on & the end of year craziness is really getting to - I don't even have kids yet !
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I did my second attempt at W5D1 today. It's... not going well.

I have arthritis in my hips (and I suspect my knee, although that's not been x-rayed -- just my hips and pelvis), and my left side is giving me issues. I'm not having to stop because my muscles hurt, but because I'm getting shooting pains from my left hip down into my knee.

I suspect shoes have a lot to do with it, but I'm going to keep pushing until I can buy new ones (not until the end of the month, at the earliest). My first 5K isn't until May, so I have time!
  • hlsc
    Options
    Plex - I hope your W5D2 run went well yesterday! Mine is this evening.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Collectingblu, take care not to hurt yourself. We need you with us. Have you tried slowing down the pace a little bit? I find that helps when I'm tiring. Even the teensiest bit of speed makes a bit difference; then you can speed up again when you've caught your breath.

Hisc, I just finished Day 2. Barely. But I finished. The last 4 minutes in the last 8-minute run portion were hard and I slowed the speed by 0.2Km/hr and put the incline of the treadmill to 0. But then the last 1 minute was a breeze & I upped the speed and incline to the usual. Mentally, I knew I'd done it at that point and that gave me energy. Let us know how you do. I know you'll be reporting back a big success.

Pixie, how was Day 3? Friday is when I attempt it.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I did W5D1 yesterday - was great! Not looking forward to week 3, though. Eeeek, 8 minutes!

Luckily all my MFP friends know that I'll be groaning about it when I get there next week and are prepared, lol.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Do you mean Day 3, Froody? I'm not looking forward to it either. I have no idea how I'm going to do it. I'm just going to get on the treadmill and try.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Just did W5D1, success. Nervous about D3 too but I feel like slowing my pace has helped a lot and I'm feeling pretty confident about it. If I end up having to take a break I'll just do D3 over until I get it right!!!
  • hlsc
    Options
    Yea, I did W5D2 last night! Not too bad and I was really amazed at how far I was going. Those little steps really do add up to something big! W5D3 tomorrow night!