Advice!

Options
KCrandi
KCrandi Posts: 125 Member
Those of us who have done it before, this is a thread where we can pass on any wisdom we have to those trying it for the first time. :)

Replies

• tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My advice is try it for a day or two on the easier level, and work your way up to the advanced. You also may not get the exact same number of reps that they do, but keep trying. There's no shame in trying to adjust for your fitness level!!
  • Zamba74
    Zamba74 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How do you know when to move up to the next level...Is it one every 10 days?
  • KCrandi
    KCrandi Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The idea is 3 levels, 30 Days, 10 Days on each level. Some people keep moving up when they feel they need that challenge. To Each their own. I will be doing 10/10/10.
  • DewlyNoted
    Options
    Yes, every 10 days u move up a level for a total of 3 levels and 30 days. I log as circuit training 20 mins. The first time I did this, I was doing everything the easier version, but this time around I'm doing regular version and adding weights to cardio. The first few days are the hardest because you'll be sore, but you just have to push through. Once the pounds start coming off, I felt more motivated to stick with it.
  • Zamba74
    Zamba74 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn each day with it...ie what do you post under workout?
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, when I said levels I meant following along with the modified/hardcore versions of the exercises. Each Level 1-3 is meant to be performed for 10 days and then you move up to the next one.
    I burned around 200-350 calories per workout, depending on how hard I worked. I always put it under cardio as 30DS, I had to create it but it's still in there for me.
  • ks33182
    ks33182 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi all, well I did the 30 day shred back in August and lost about 15 lbs. This may not be for everyone, but my advice is to make sure to give your self a day off or so off a week from the shred. I even heard Jillian say somewhere that it is not meant for people to do everyday. But when I started I did not know this advice, so I was doing it every day but by like day 10 my body was so tired and worn out. Eventually I ended up doing the shred every other day and on the other days I did a different workout (like walk, dance, and eventually I built up endurance to start jogging). Your muscles do need to rest, be smart about it so you don't burn out., and watch your knees if you have bad knees.

Another thing I would do if I did not have time to go out and walk was go back a level. For example, when I was in level 3, my "day off" would be doing level 1, which felt so easy but it did work different muscles and I was still exercising.

So for me "30 days" was over a month and a half or so period. I also bought some of her other workouts and started those. Then life got crazy I got a new job and had to move, and since then I've been a slacker...but now I am ready to shred again! :) I did level 1 this morning and it wasn't so easy as it was a month ago or so lol...I can't wait to get back into shape.

Good luck everyone! This workout will push you, but it does produce results.
  • arieswissmiss
    Options
    The most meaningful advice that I got when I first started was investing in a great sports bra. There are alot of jumping jacks and it makes a big difference. When I first started it was really hard to get through the cardio but if you stick with it by day 10 you feel great!
    Also if you get tired of Jillian and you know the workout you can always listen to some music.
  • yaafee
    yaafee Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    1. Sports bra with wide straps, lots of jumping around right from the start.

2. I took the weekends "off" and did other activities. I have arthritis in my hip and some of the moves really irritate it, so my 30 days takes about 6 weeks.

3. I tried to be all buff and use 5# weights from the start and moved up to 8# in level two, but I had to modify some of the moves because my shoulders weren't strong enough. This time I'm going to start with 3# and do all of the advanced moves as shown, no modifications.

4. Last time I started and ended at 141 pounds. However, I did see a couple inches lost on waist, belly button, hip, thigh.... So don't get discouraged if you don't lose pounds.
  • kristieprn
    kristieprn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The most meaningful advice that I got when I first started was investing in a great sports bra. There are alot of jumping jacks and it makes a big difference. When I first started it was really hard to get through the cardio but if you stick with it by day 10 you feel great!
    Also if you get tired of Jillian and you know the workout you can always listen to some music.
    I agree on the sports bra and after years of searching I found one that I actually love (I'm a 36 DD) - it has inner cups with underwires and then an overlay part with more support which also conveniently makes a kind of pocket for an iPod or the like.... It's by moving comfort. Www.movingcomfort.com. I found them at ****'s sporting goods so I imagine they are at most chain sporting goods stores that have running bras.
  • kristieprn
    kristieprn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Not sure why it blanked out the store name, d i c k ' s. lol, really now!
    Oh, for anyone in stage 1 who has wrist issues or no mat and a hard floor do wall push ups as your modification.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hey girls (and guys - if there are any in this group...)!
    my advice to you is to do some more stretching in the end. If you find the time, at least double all the stretches she does in the end and just stay in there a little longer. And I really need to stretch my quads more and the outside of my thighs and glutes. With doing that everything is much less sore...

If someone needs some help in how to do additional stretches I'm happy to try to explain my most favorite stretch for you ;-) I

Good luck and enjoy!!