nutritional shake advice please

Options
truddy6647
truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
so I made a nutritional shake (new directions vanilla) today to taste it and see if I like it as I am going to have to be on it for a month prior to wls and a about a month after. Well let me say yuck, not only does it taste bad, it smells too. Anyone have any suggestions on a different brand? I don't think I will be able to drink these ones. I have another flavor besides vanilla and will try that but right now not looking good

Replies

• Pearliture
    Options
    I've been using body fortress from wal mart the cookies and cream one. Its pretty tasty. Its like $15.00 for like 2 lbs bottle and has 25g of protein in one scoop
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I use natures best isopure zero carb cookies and creme flavor and mix it with water, 105 cals, 25 grams protein, 0 carbs per scoop. I think it taste as good as some of the sugary ones I've had and I don't dislike their chocolate either. I find it online cheaper than the fitness stores and they ship pretty quick. You might also check with your local fitness store I know a few of ours have samples and a money back guarantees, so basically if you hate the taste you can trade it for a new brand or flavor, that's how I found my current brand.
  • nucamprn
    Options
    I am 5 weeks postop RNY. I use the Unjury brand protein. They mix well in everything. I have vanilla in my morning OJ and chololate in my coffee after it cools down. 20 gm protein per serving. Lactose free.
    They dont give free samples but you can order a variety of single packets to try.
    Preop I also used the Muscle Milk Light. It only has 10 grams protein and higher card count. But makes a nice change.
    I heard my taste would change after surgery but no problem with these pre and post op.
    Best of luck with your surgery.
    CAMP
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My favorite of all is the PREMIER PROTEIN :love: , it comes in chocolate and vanilla! Only 160 calories, 3g fat, with a whopping 30 g protein!!! :smile: They come pre mixed for you and they are sooo good when served cold. I buy them at Costco by the case for only $24.95 with 18 in each case!! :happy: I've been using these before, during , and after my surgery and no upsett stomach.
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few powders - I keep going back to Pure Protein Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. 23 - 25gms of protein per scopp. Calories are good too - add some unsweetened almond milk - one cup - 30 calories and you have a good protein drink that isn't gritty or nasty tasting.

GNC has protein suppliement - Lean 25. not bad..
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    so tried premier protein nutritional shake. To me it tasted almost like chocolate milk. compared to muscle milk light it taste like milk chocolate where as muscle milk light is more like dark chocolate. While muscle milk light doesnot have everything that the ones the doctors gave me have in it, premier protein does, not only that it also has 30g of protein. Needless to say I think I have found what I am going to use, now to see if they sell it at sams club (I have seen others state that they do for around $25 for 18 so not a bad price either compared to the doctors one) Thanks everyone for the advice, still looking for a powder though for adding into things like bake goods, pancakes, homemade bread etc. I would like one that doesn't change the taste of things you are making and is low in calories. I don't have a costcos by me but do sams
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The ready made premier shakes are good..but I like the Oh Yeah! brand even better. You can find them at Vitamin Shoppes and sometimes I order them online from Amazon. The powdered ones I use the most are Bariatric Advantage and Click (love coffee)
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good shakes for me were by bariatric advantage. The banana, orange cream, and vanilla were the best. It was great mixed with almond milk, and frozen fruit like peaches. No goofy after taste. Also the more Ice the better.