Yoga and maintaining muscle mass

Options
Yogi_Carl
Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
I'll whisper it in here - because I know what will happen if I SHOUT it in the main arena - I am steadily losing my excess fat at a healthy rate of 1 pound a week and I have so far (eight weeks now) lost no muscle mass at all.

I am not following a 5x5-lift-as-much-as-you-can-without-actually-being-sick type program and I'm not really running that much, just a couple of nice easy runs of 30 minutes a week and twice a week bodyweight exercises. It goes to show I think that you can go gently and be healthier for it with a daily visit to the yoga mat and a minimal of supplementary bodyweight exercises a couple of times a week.

ssshh - (I hope they didn't hear that!) x

Replies

• abibt
    abibt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Lol :laugh: well done you. Yoga rocks.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    :happy: good for you!
  • zenmummy
    zenmummy Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well done! I'm also seeing results with at least one yoga session a day for the past month. HURRAY!
  • AngelDog1
    Options
    YEAH!!!!!! Good for you. I am so happy to hear it! Yoga is awesome! A lot of those poses take a lot of stamina and strength.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    that's awesome! not only am I maintaining muscle mass, I'm gaining them I find, especially in the shoulders, back & abs. I also run & do yoga. I have pecs for the first time in my life! :happy:
  • Pema10
    Pema10 Posts: 13
    Options
    Awesome! We'll keep the whispering campaign just right here. :wink:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Ha! I'm quite happy to make an idiot of myself by putting Yoga out there in the big arena but I have often been met with a fair bit of ridicule or reasons made by the self appointed experts why yoga won't deliver so I thougth it best to withdraw as the posts were doing more harm for Yoga, as a whole, than good. I didn't want new folk to the website thinking yoga was the runt of the family.

I keep my Yoga posts to just offering suggestions to others' questions now and that has seen some positive headway. I was asked out there why I was being such a Yoga Evangelist. Well, I'm not but if I do Yoga, I'm going to talk about it if people ask what do I do and I'm going to seek to solve problems in the way of my own experience; yoga. People are not labelled evangelist if all they talk about is Heavy Lifting!

I look foward to a day when forums like this are more accepting and balanced. Until that day I'll keep whispering! (oh dear, it sounds like I'm having a rant, but I'm not ... Om Shanti!)
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! I just think EVERYONE needs yoga, but it's a pretty tough sell. I'm delighted for yoU!
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yoga has helped to ease my shoulder/knee pain issues associated with squats, deadlifts, and shoulder presses. In addition it's broadened my range of motion on my supplementary isolation lifts. I wouldn't be surprised if the stretching leads to an increase in muscle mass due to a gradual broadening of the muscle belly.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Yoga has helped to ease my shoulder/knee pain issues associated with squats, deadlifts, and shoulder presses. In addition it's broadened my range of motion on my supplementary isolation lifts. I wouldn't be surprised if the stretching leads to an increase in muscle mass due to a gradual broadening of the muscle belly.

This is supposed to be a myth - the idea of yoga students having long defined muscles and weightlifters having short, rounded muslces, but I have seen many cases that uphold the "myth". I think it is to do with the yoga way of stretching is to stretch actively - that is with the muscle you are stretching being under contraction; you physically stretch the muscle out while you are energetically (isometrically?) contracting the muscle in. This builds the entire length of the muscle rather than concentrating the effort at the muscle peak, giving it a shorter more bulky appearance.
  • runningwoodpecker
    Options
    I'm about to try my first yoga class tomorrow -signed up for a month. I am hoping it will provide me results physically, but I am taking the classes as ive heard it can help with anxiety? Looking forward to it!
  • Easywider
    Easywider Posts: 434 Member
    Options

This is supposed to be a myth - the idea of yoga students having long defined muscles and weightlifters having short, rounded muslces, but I have seen many cases that uphold the "myth". I think it is to do with the yoga way of stretching is to stretch actively - that is with the muscle you are stretching being under contraction; you physically stretch the muscle out while you are energetically (isometrically?) contracting the muscle in. This builds the entire length of the muscle rather than concentrating the effort at the muscle peak, giving it a shorter more bulky appearance.

Ah! Thank you for shedding some light on my hypothesis. I should have edited my post with a footnote that states 'my claims are supported by limited factual evidence', haha. I just presumed that the continual stretching Yoga emphasizes would help to gradually elongate the muscle bellies, facilitating a larger service area for blood aminos to swell/tear apart the muscle fibers under anaerobic strain. Either or, I hope we both achieve the results we've set out for.

Namaste.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options

Ah! Thank you for shedding some light on my hypothesis. I should have edited my post with a footnote that states 'my claims are supported by limited factual evidence', haha. I just presumed that the continual stretching Yoga emphasizes would help to gradually elongate the muscle bellies, facilitating a larger service area for blood aminos to swell/tear apart the muscle fibers under anaerobic strain. Either or, I hope we both achieve the results we've set out for.

Namaste.

I think there is limited factual evidence out there on both sides but the evidence is out there in a lot of classes to see. Genetics must play its part also and body type.

I have settled into just doing the daily practise to see how my body develops - a bit like slowly unwrapping an exciting mystery present!