Low carber needing lunch ideas

Options
Hi

getting a bit bored of chicken & salad for lunch. I usually have an egg, poached with sausage or grilled tomato for breakfast & some kind of salad with chicken or prawn for lunch. I have access to a microwave & fridge so any suggestiosn to shake up my diet?

Many thanks

Replies

• miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I am having smoked fish for lunch because there are no carbs in it. I eat celery with real cream cheese not the low fat to go along with it on celery on it.
  • noojim
    noojim Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the dinners you have in the evenings, you could always just make some extra and take leftovers with you the next day.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Have a look at genaw.com theres lots of good recipes.

I like something hot during the winter, left over dinner eg stew are easy go to hassle free staples for me! sometimes I do tuna and cottage cheese burgers,( well they're kinda burgers on the non stick pan.) or try making a flaxseed/linseed bun very handy even if you use half, store rest in fridge, use for toast spread with cream cheese, or blt. I love thai food, Tom yum soup is delicious and easy to make, chicken satay if I've time.

I've a really craving for coffees lately and I'm going to try and make a peppermint mocha frappe today as part of my afternoon pick me up. I got the recipe off Pinterest.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the dinners you have in the evenings, you could always just make some extra and take leftovers with you the next day.

This is what I do. I always make extra protein. I can change up the veggies, or top a salad.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I typically make enough food for leftovers the next day, but I also make a batch of low carb soups and freeze them in single serving containers for when I need a quick lunch. Also, tuna salad and low-carb wraps are good alternatives.
  • FullOfWinToo
    Options
    Good question to ponder while i eat my grilled chicken salad for lunch :) I like to have taco meat on hand (or frozen) and make a Taco Bowl with various fixings. We call it Taco Suprise because ..... "suprise, there's no tacos"
  • Pinge
    Pinge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do tuna with real mayo, chopped onion and dip my Crunchmaster Multigrain crackers in it. The crackers are 18 grams of net carbs for 15 crackers. Along with some chicken ganules soup (1 net carb for one cup, like the cubes kinda). Also Swiss Miss Diet Hot chocolate - 3 net carbs. Tasty!
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Revolution Rolls:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/improved_revolution_rolls.html
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-suggestions/549082-original-atkins-diet-revolution-roll-tweaks.html

Easy to make. I make them 12 at a time (6 sandwiches) and store them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. It makes "taking lunch" easier because you now can have a sandwich, just like before. My favorite sandwiches to make are a turkey club (turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo) or PB&J (peanut butter, cream cheese, mashed raspberries with a packet of Splenda over top).

Low carb tortillas are fairly easy to find but they are much higher in carbs than rev rolls, can possibly stall you and personally I do not like the way they taste (I don't like carby tortillas either).

----
    Another thing I like is Greek yogurt (PLAIN!! Don't get flavored or vanilla), which is very high in protein and makes for a satisfying lunch. Put 1 cup in a container with some Splenda and berries, and there's your lunch! If you get 2% fat yogurt instead of 0% you get more calories (more satisfying!) You can also add 2tb of flax seed meal for extra vitamins, fat and fiber.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Like the rest have mentioned, it is usually leftovers for me plus a green salad.

Hard boiled eggs, tuna, Sardines (which I prefer nutritionally to Tuna, as it has less mercury per serving, more good fats and mICRO nutrients), ham. bacon, chicken, steak and turkey.

My favorite is a generous cobb like salad with a little good bleu cheese dressing and plenty of pepper. To make it easy I have my proteins chopped and in a container in the fridge. A cup or so of meats, chopped eggs and a bit of cheese over pre bagged romaine or spinach.

That may not help much but dinners and its leftovers are what vary my lunch routines.
  • danni_l
    danni_l Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Haha, I know what you mean about the salad situation! I had it every day for lunch last week, by Friday I was really not that interested!!
    That said, usually I try and mix it up a bit (was feeling lazy last week!), so leftovers from dinner, microwave eggs with tomatoes and salami, Chilli mince with avocado and a boiled egg in the middle.
    I think the main thing is being organised when you do your weekly shop and also checking out the internet for low carb recipes.