Wreck-It Ralph

Options
Has anyone else seen this yet? I watched it last night and I am in LOVE. It had some great references to old-school arcade games, wonderful characters voiced by solid actors (Alan Tudyk, Browncoats!), fun music, a good plot, and great animation. I really can't think of anything I don't like about it.

And, I totally want to do Vanellope Von Schweetz as my first attempt at cosplay for next year's Dragon*Con.
vanellope-von-schweetz-disney-s-wreck-it-ralph-movie-lifesize-standup-poster.jpg

And while we're on this topic - any other cartoon lovers out there? I love Pixar, naturally, but enjoy animated films in general except for the ones that are clearly just made to market toys or are 90 minute fart jokes. I also love animated television, including that made for adults (like Archer). Oh, and sorry, gang, but I'm not so much with the anime. :)

Replies

• wholelottarosa
    Options
    Sorry, cartoons don't do anything for me, so no help there.

However, even if you're not into anime you may want to check out this one director who is quite famous and quite amazing: Hayao Miyazaki

His films are surreal, fairytale like and tend to have strong (young) women as main characters.
    I can especially recommend Spirited away, Princess Mononoke and Howl's moving castle.

This may be a pointless post for you but I thought I'd try it anyway. :)
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Actually, my dear. There are a few anime features that I enjoy rather a lot, and all of them are Miyazaki or Ghibli Studios. So you were spot on with your recommendation. :)
    Sorry, cartoons don't do anything for me, so no help there.

However, even if you're not into anime you may want to check out this one director who is quite famous and quite amazing: Hayao Miyazaki

His films are surreal, fairytale like and tend to have strong (young) women as main characters.
    I can especially recommend Spirited away, Princess Mononoke and Howl's moving castle.

This may be a pointless post for you but I thought I'd try it anyway. :)
  • Bianca1972
    Bianca1972 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I so want to see this movie -- but probably won't. My niece is still a bit too young for trips to the movies.

As for cartoons and anime -- I love both (but still not as much anime). :-D
  • explodingalice
    Options
    I have a solution - go see it on your own!!! :D
    I so want to see this movie -- but probably won't. My niece is still a bit too young for trips to the movies.

As for cartoons and anime -- I love both (but still not as much anime). :-D
  • Katt1320
    Katt1320 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I saw it last weekend. OMG so awesome. And you'd be super cute in that costume!

"Welcome to my home! I sleep in these candy wrappers and bundle myself up like a little old lady!"

Was it just me, or did Alan's KING CANDY sound almost EXACTLY like Roger Rabbit?
  • explodingalice
    Options
    Was it just me, or did Alan's KING CANDY sound almost EXACTLY like Roger Rabbit?

He totally did. I was giggling over it in the theater.
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I took my daughter yesterday. Super cute, and even though part of me wanted to hate the sugar rush land- it was really the perfect Candyland/Oz. Nothing like the animated under-dog winning in the end.
  • Katt1320
    Options
    I kept wanting King Candy to say "Pppppplease, Eddie!"
  • lilivortex
    lilivortex Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LOVED KING CANDY!
    I kinda thought he sounded like the old-school cartoon Mad Hatter. I kept hearing "Now don't let's be silly!"
    Alan Tudyk.... what a surprise.
    -Lili
  • Katt1320
    Options
    LOVED KING CANDY!
    I kinda thought he sounded like the old-school cartoon Mad Hatter. I kept hearing "Now don't let's be silly!"

Agreed! I got that feeling, too.
  • gse313
    gse313 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ok... so we FINALLY broke down and took the girls to see it Saturday... Talk about a slow start!!! Once things started to pick up, it was actually quite good!!

One question though.... If a "Glitch" is trapped in a game when it is unplugged, "Turbo should have been considered a "Glitch" in the Pole Position game and there fore been trapped so what gives?!?!

And yes... Mad Matter all the way!!! Roger Rabbit... not so much... ;-)
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    This just in- Anime is a cartoon. wtf are you saying 'I don't like cartoons, but I watch anime'.

It's the same damn thing. Animated drawings with voice acting. Only one's -stylized- differently (not necessarily from Japan either).

Anyhow, the Pixar team is an amazing team with deep well throughout stories- and subtle hints and references for all ages to enjoy (so if you're watching it with the kids, even sometimes the adults get a inside-chuckle). It's a sorta Disney trade mark. I guaranteed there's going to be references and things you'd be surprised to understand and see if you go back and watch older movies (save from the 'Classic' age)