Should we log our food as part of paleo / primal lifestyle?

Options
primal88
primal88 Posts: 16 Member
I go through different cycles. Sometimes I weigh and log everything. Other times I think about what I have read in the Paleo and Primal books, and that is one of the best things about eating primal/paleo is that you do not have to weigh and measure your food. There is no need to if you are eating correctly. What does every one else think.
I do know that my fitness pal is a site set up to log food so you can count your calories, but that goes against primal/paleo. I do enjoy MFP for the forum and talking with others who are doing pale/primal. So I am going to continue on this site but I will not always log my food and exercise.

Replies

• ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I do it to keep my carbs in check, because I can eat sweet potatoes and figs all day otherwise :smile:
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you really want to learn about food and nutrition you should log everything. Why eggs and bacon are good. Why bread is bad. You would not be here if there was a short cut.
  • primal88
    Options
    When I have difficulty is when I eat something at a restaurant and I know that it is paleo well probable 90% paleo. But I do not have the breakdown. How do you handle something like that?
  • primal88
    Options
    I know what you mean about eating too much of a good thing. Mine is eggs. Some days I will eat 8 eggs. I need to see it in writing to keep myself from eating too many.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think the "official" consensus would probably be 'no'.

But I have logged every day for about 1.5 years anyhow and intend to keep logging. It's the only way to intentionally manage my weight one direction or the other.

I guess if I was maintaining, I could maybe see not logging. Nah, I'm too type A not to log.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I also log everyday, as other posters said to keep my carbs in check and make sure i'm not eating too much.

With regards to the restaurant if you're not sure you can add each item seperately to get an approximation of the total meal.

Good luck :)
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I log my food, but i'm not to picky on the portions sizes... i'll look at my steak and go "hmmm that looks like about what the keg (a popular steak restaurant around here) calls an 8 ounce. I'll it it in as that.

Same with every thing else. I like to have a record of what I'm eating so i can look back at my diary, and my weight loss chart, and how I'm feeling and see how different food affects me.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I would say for a while it would be helpful, but after some time you'll have it down!
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal thing. Counting calories isn't productive for me - I find I start trying to wiggle things in under the calorie count, regardless of whether I should be eating them or not and I don't pay attention to my fullness cues. I've found the best accountability for me is to log my food under the Food Notes section. I'm still able to see what I've eaten over the course of the day, but it takes the number games out of it.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I go through spurts - if I don't watch my carb count then I stall - I haven't logged in a few months and no weight loss (actually gained about 6 lbs or so).

I am hoping to jump back on the logging train after Thanksgiving (when I will be able to increase my exercise a bit more too now that my daughters sports are over for the time being) and see if I can't make sure my carbs stay down and cut down a few lbs
  • ricestephanie11
    ricestephanie11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I say no. The reason I am logging now is because I am doing a nutrition challenge with my gym and have to maintain a food log for my trainer to review. Otherwise, I follow my own hunger cues which are fairly reliable. I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm not. I do my best to not gorge myself on fruit, but if I eat a little more one day, I just don't worry about it too much.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have to log. Even though i'm doing paleo, there is nothing to stop me from eating a whole container of almond butter! I find that tracking still keeps me connected with HOW much i'm eating. Right now i'm in a horrible plateau where I've KINDA been eating Paleo. I need to get back into it, big time!!
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log every last gram religiously, but I am diabetic so have to keep a tight reign on my carbs.